Switch Antonio Cromartie to Safety

mark6sanchez

I'd rather they let Harris go, find an adequate ML, and throw the money at a true pass rushing OLB. Harris is great but extremely one dimensional.

i've read these comments, not just from 1 poster but from many... and I have to disagree about Harris.

He's the vocal leader of the unit. listen to him mic'ed up Bart Scott talks off the field but Harris talks on the field. And then we hear about how he's purely a run stuffer, despite the fact that Rex uses him on 3rd downs... not only that but he had 2 interceptions in 2009 and a huge interception of Brady in the playoffs, that's a play that no one in the league made for something ridiculous like 300+ plays. David Harris picked off Brady and he's only a run stuffer? I call BS. Harris is dependable as the day is long and if you asked me personally which player you could bring back if you could only sign 1 out of him, cro, edwards and holmes, I would pick Harris. Easily. He's the only personality that could be trusted with long term money and very little drop off. Who knows what kind of effort the other 3 put forth after they get paid? harris you know what you are getting.

i've read these comments, not just from 1 poster but from many... and I have to disagree about Harris.

He's the vocal leader of the unit. listen to him mic'ed up Bart Scott talks off the field but Harris talks on the field. And then we hear about how he's purely a run stuffer, despite the fact that Rex uses him on 3rd downs... not only that but he had 2 interceptions in 2009 and a huge interception of Brady in the playoffs, that's a play that no one in the league made for something ridiculous like 300+ plays. David Harris picked off Brady and he's only a run stuffer? I call BS. Harris is dependable as the day is long and if you asked me personally which player you could bring back if you could only sign 1 out of him, cro, edwards and holmes, I would pick Harris. Easily. He's the only personality that could be trusted with long term money and very little drop off. Who knows what kind of effort the other 3 put forth after they get paid? harris you know what you are getting.

All valid points but inside linebackers are much easier to find than receivers. Say we ditch Holmes and Edwards and keep Harris. Where does that leave Sanchez? I like him and think he's going to eventually be a good player, but IMO he still needs top flight receivers to bail him out when he's going through a stretch of awful.

Harris' position is just easier to fill than the other ones. I hope we keep him, just not at the expense of the 50 million dollar QB. Sanchez's development (or lack therof) is going to determine what happens to this franchise for the next 10 years.

I am not saying Harris is bad. he's amazing against the run and a decent pass rusher. He's terrible in coverage. If you see a TE or RB running free in the middle of the field you can almost bet your house that Harris is there 2 steps behind him. He's awful in coverage. You can't spent 8 million on every LB on the team and expect to be decent in other positions. I'd rather take the drop in play at MLB, sign a better FS, and a beast of a pass rushing OLB to replace Thomas.

I'd rather take the drop in play at MLB, sign a better FS, and a beast of a pass rushing OLB to replace Thomas.

who is the starting ILB? Mauga? They'd have to draft or sign a replacement.

also Im getting the feeling the Jets won't be able to sign any free agents other than (a few of) their own. If they get a FS or OLB it's gonna have to be through the draft. football outsiders had an article that basically said the Jets are in the worst financial shape of any team, relative to the cap. they have the 2nd highest payroll as it is and something like 20 open roster spots.

also Im getting the feeling the Jets won't be able to sign any free agents other than (a few of) their own. If they get a FS or OLB it's gonna have to be through the draft. football outsiders had an article that basically said the Jets are in the worst financial shape of any team, relative to the cap. they have the 2nd highest payroll as it is and something like 20 open roster spots.

Ye of no faith in Tannenbaum. We're always in the worst financial shape according to someone and yet Tanny always makes it work.

And your solution to those cap woes is to pay David Harris like $8M/year?

First off, not all of those 20 open roster spots are big-money players. You've got guys like Drew Coleman among the 20. He's not free, assuming they bring him back, but he's not millions of dollars per year either.

They'll get millions in freed up space by re-shifting Sanchez's contract around and dropping or redoing deals for big-money guys like Woody and Jenkins (both of whom I like, but not at their $ numbers). Also they're probably going to take serious looks at whether money may better be spent on others for LT, Taylor, BThomas, Hartsock,

The horror of the Jets' cap situation looks worse when a website assumes every high-dollar player on the team is returning at those high dollars or at the same cap number. Think Sanchez will go into the season with an $18M cap number? I don't.

Tannenbaum's got a tough job this offseason, made only tougher with contracts expiring in a month and no CBA in place. It may not be a pretty situation with some well-liked players moving on, but as Boozer put it you cannot pay 3 LB'ers $7-8M per year plus $6M+ for Thomas/Taylor. Best way to retain Harris would be to cut ties with Bart Scott (for a little saving this year and big savings going forward). That is something they could do (however unlikely given Rex's relationship with Bart), and I wouldn't be against it either. But Harris getting a couple of picks doesn't mean he's good in coverage as you know perfectly well. Having the two of them next to each other (with so little pressure generated from the DL and OLBers) created some real problems with other teams' ability to move the chains.

Archived