NY Jets Sign Long, McIntyre and Novak to Reserve/Future Contracts

JetNation

helmet.gif

February 9, 2011 – The New York Jets have signed LB Brandon Long, LB Garrett McIntyre and K Nick Novak to reserve/future contracts. The announcement was made by General Manager Mike Tannenbaum.

Long (LB/6-3/254/Michigan State/Canton, OH) was waived by the San Francisco 49ers on August 29, 2010, after being initially signed as a free agent on April 30.  He appeared in all 13 games his senior year at Michigan State, including nine starts at defensive end, where he posted career-highs of 39 tackles, 5.5 sacks and seven tackles for loss to earn All-Big Ten honorable mention.

McIntyre (LB/6-3/270/Fresno State/South Lake Tahoe, CA) spent the 2009 and 2010 seasons playing for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats of the Canadian Football League where he posted 51 tackles and nine sacks.   Prior to that, he played two years with the San Jose SaberCats of the Arena Football League.  McIntyre was originally signed as an undrafted free agent by the Seattle Seahawks in 2006 and also spent portions of the 2006 preseason with the Arizona Cardinals and Tennessee Titans.  As a senior in 2005, he recorded 29 tackles, seven sacks, a forced fumble and a blocked kick, earning recognition as the WAC Defensive Player of the Year.

Novak (K/6-0/198/Maryland/Charlottesville, VA) was waived by the San Diego Chargers on September 4, 2010, after being signed on April 27, 2010.  During his career, he has played in 22 NFL games, connecting on 19-of-30 field goals.  Novak has seen NFL action with the Washington Redskins (2005, 2006), the Arizona Cardinals (2007) and the Kansas City Chiefs (2008).  He entered the league as an undrafted free agent with the Chicago Bears in 2005.  A two-time first-team All-ACC selection, Novak is the ACC’s all-time leading scorer and fifth in NCAA history in points.

OCHlD8mM51M

View the full article

garrett macintyre is a very interesting name. R44 loved him coming out of Fresno... he's a real pro player (not a rookie) and has gained 20 pounds of muscle since college. Rex Ryan personally called him to recruit him and he got a signing bonus, plus a 3 year deal. I think he's not only gonna make the team but see snaps on real defense. I dont think he's the next Cameron Wake but I do think he's got value. With him and Long, it only confirms Bryan Thomas is gone.

http://www.tahoedailytribune.com/article/20110208/NEWS/110209831/1057&parentprofile=1057

After registering eight quarterback sacks — tied for fifth most in the CFL — in his final season in Hamilton, McIntyre used his option year with the Tiger-Cats to work out for three NFL teams. Jacksonville, Miami and New York took a closer look at the former Fresno State Bulldogs' defensive end, and the Jets came away the most impressed.

“They showed interest right after my workout,” McIntyre said.

The phone conversations that followed included a chat with New York Jets' coach Rex Ryan.

“He said he's not calling too many guys, and he mentioned my motor and that I play with my head on fire,” McIntyre said of the conversation with Ryan last week. “That's their defensive mentality; they come at you nonstop. That's the way I play, and that's what they saw on film.”

With no NFL labor agreement in place for next season, McIntyre joins the Jets at an uncertain time for players. Hence, McIntyre negotiated a signing bonus as part of his three-year contract.

garrett macintyre is a very interesting name. R44 loved him coming out of Fresno... he's a real pro player (not a rookie) and has gained 20 pounds of muscle since college. Rex Ryan personally called him to recruit him and he got a signing bonus, plus a 3 year deal. I think he's not only gonna make the team but see snaps on real defense. I dont think he's the next Cameron Wake but I do think he's got value. With him and Long, it only confirms Bryan Thomas is gone.

Gotta love the off-season and the speculation. 2 guys nobody ever heard of and now they are replacing a starter on defense.

Gotta love the off-season and the speculation. 2 guys nobody ever heard of and now they are replacing a starter on defense.

most may not have heard of him but I remember this guy from 06 draft he's actually a firey dude. also bryan thomas getting cut saves 4 mil in cap space.

Very interesting Bit...thanks.

Archived