Judge cancels mediation: Settlement negotiations ongoing

T0mShane

Judge cancels NFL mediation, says sides engaged in 'settlement' talks

By Sean Leahy, USA TODAY

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2011/06/judge-cancels-nfl-mediation-says-sides-engaged-in-settlement-talks/1

The judge overseeing the mediation between the NFL and the NFL Players Association has cancelled next week's planned sessions because of what he called ongoing "settlement discussions" between the sides.

But that was not an immediate sign of a major breakthrough that could lead to the NFL opening its doors to players again.

On Thursday, U.S. Magistrate Judge Arthur J. Boylan -- in quashing the mediation sessions that had been planned for next Tuesday and Wednesday in Minnesota -- said he had been "engaged in confidential settlement discussions."

A person close to the talks told the AP that Boylan's use of "settlement" to describe the discussions does not necessarily indicate the sides are close to a deal.

The league and the NFLPA acknowledged meeting this week in Chicago, but have not divulged details of their talks.

"We're trying. I think the fact that we're meeting is good," Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones told the Chicago Tribune on Thursday.

The settlement discussions potentially represent a milestone in the labor standoff, which escalated when the league imposed a lockout on March 12.

As recently as May 26, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell repeated his mantra that the two sides needed to talk.

"The best and fastest solution to the differences is to negotiate," Goodell said. "Let's get together and let's solve those problems in negotiations and with a collective bargaining agreement."

Goodell participated in this week's talks, as did NFLPA leader DeMaurice Smith. Neither would comment on how they went.

There is no indication the settlement discussions with Boylan will lead to an agreement anytime soon. And the sides are due in the 8th Circuit Court of Appeals on Friday as justices consider the fate of the lockout.

But if the settlement talks do lead to an agreement, it would likely fall under a similar umbrella of court supervision that governed the past collective bargaining agreement that ran from 1993-2011.

This is a very good sign that they have chosen to talk right before 2 important court decisions,

The Players will lose tomorrow, but have a fair chance of winning on Monday, in the Anti trust suit. At least to get some kind of continuation. If the players win on the anti trust. In the long run it will hurt the majority of them. The Super Stars will benefit. Maybe.

For sure, the NFL will change forever. Look what's going on in the NBA right now with the Heat. Baseball to to a lesser extent.

I really don't want to see an NFL championship that goes to the highest bidder.

I'm hoping that neither side really wants to see this settled by a game changing court decision.

Perhaps, I'm reaching here I know, but over the weekend an announcement could be made that significant progress has been made, no CBA yet, but for the betterment of the NFL the owners have decided to lift the lock out as encouraging talks continue.

Hey before you all jump on me it "could " happen. I'm an optimist.

Perhaps, I'm reaching here I know, but over the weekend an announcement will be made that significant progress has been made, no CBA yet, but for the betterment of the NFL the owners have decided to lift the lock out as encouraging talks continue.

Hey before you all jump on me it "could " happen. I'm an optimist.

That's almost exactly where I'm at, but the problem is the FA's and rookies--with no CBA in place, you can't bring them into camp unless they're willing to risk losing everything if they snap an ankle. I'd love it if they slapped together a provisional (if partial) contract that somehow allowed them to host a two week FA window where they could get the players and rookies signed, while in the meantime hammering out the details of profit splits, etc. I think you could do one (signings) without establishing the other (revenue splits).

That's almost exactly where I'm at, but the problem is the FA's and rookies--with no CBA in place, you can't bring them into camp unless they're willing to risk losing everything if they snap an ankle. I'd love it if they slapped together a provisional (if partial) contract that somehow allowed them to host a two week FA window where they could get the players and rookies signed, while in the meantime hammering out the details of profit splits, etc. I think you could do one (signings) without establishing the other (revenue splits).

For the rookies its simple. They always participate in the OTAs and stuff without a contract. Its a risk they take. 9 times out of 10 the owners will live up to a draft slot if the player gets seriously injured. By the time they reach camp they would actually have a deal. If they did not they would probably do a temporary deal in terms of contracts saying that they will follow the capped rules in the old CBA for 1 year. Something similar was done in 2006 where they had the parameters in place to allow league business to continue even though the whole CBA wasnt complete.

Archived