Plaxico On Jets Radar

flgreen

Plaxico on Jets' radar

Jets Blog

By MARK CANNIZZARO

Last Updated: 2:35 AM, June 7, 2011

Posted: 2:15 AM, June 7, 2011

More Print

Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum prides himself on being so thorough in his efforts to improve his team he’ll “search under every rock” to find talent.

When Plaxico Burress walked out of a correctional facility in upstate New York yesterday morning after being locked up or 20 months for an illegal weapons charge, he extricated himself from underneath a large rock.

Whenever the NFL lockout is lifted, Burress will be an unrestricted free agent, and Tannenbaum and the Jets won’t have to do a lot of searching to find him.

Because of the lockout, Tannenbaum, along with anyone else associated with NFL teams, is prohibited from commenting on or signing free agents.

But two league sources familiar with the Jets’ thinking told The Post that Burress is “definitely” on the team’s radar because of the Jets’ uncertainty at receiver.

Regardless of what rules are in place once the lockout is lifted, Braylon Edwards will be an unrestricted free agent. Santonio Holmes, the Jets’ most prolific playmaking receiver, will either be unrestricted or restricted, depending on what rules are in place. Brad Smith could also be an unrestricted free agent.

That potentially will leave the Jets thin at receiver. Tannenbaum is on record saying he wants to re-sign all of his own players. But Edwards and Holmes will command big money, making it unlikely the Jets will be able to keep both.

And if the Jets need wide receiver help, sources say both Burress and the controversial Randy Moss will be under consideration by the Jets.

Rex Ryan, who has supreme confidence in his ability to handle players of all personalities, is not afraid of Burress’ personality. Burress will be 34 in August and hasn’t played in two seasons.

Burress, at 6-foot-5, is a big target with very good hands and the ability to perform in the clutch. He would immediately improve the Jets in the red zone and help Mark Sanchez with his accuracy lapses.

mcannizzaro@nypost.com

Rex Ryan, who has supreme confidence in his ability to handle players of all personalities, is not afraid of Burress’ personality. Burress will be 34 in August and hasn’t played in two seasons.

Rex shouldn't be afraid of Burress' personality, but he should be deeply concerned about the fact that the guy is 34 years old and hasn't played in two years. The guy's work ethic was severely questionable under coaching supervision, what was it like in prison for two years? Compounding the problem for Burress league-wide is that an abbreviated training camp probably won't give him nearly enough time to get up to speed - if he could at all.

I could see the Jets taking a look. Everything's in place for that. But I have serious doubts about Plaxico being able to perform at an NFL level this year, and at his age maybe ever.

Hate to say it, but a guy like Randy Moss is less of a risk, IMHO.

So far this offseason, Moss, Ocho Cinco, Owens and now Plaxico have popped up on the Jets radar. Have I missed anyone? Mr. T is kicking the tires just in case we lose Braylon or Holmes and is also sending a message to those two that the Jets have options, possibly to gain a little leverage before negotiations start.

Rex shouldn't be afraid of Burress' personality, but he should be deeply concerned about the fact that the guy is 34 years old and hasn't played in two years. The guy's work ethic was severely questionable under coaching supervision, what was it like in prison for two years? Compounding the problem for Burress league-wide is that an abbreviated training camp probably won't give him nearly enough time to get up to speed - if he could at all.

I could see the Jets taking a look. Everything's in place for that. But I have serious doubts about Plaxico being able to perform at an NFL level this year, and at his age maybe ever.

Hate to say it, but a guy like Randy Moss is less of a risk, IMHO.

IMO this is the only viable reason not to give Plax consideration. Age,and away from football 2 years.

I'd sure bring him in for a look to see what kind of condition he is in. In all honesty I don't think the Jets have any real intention of signing both Edwards, and Holmes. Just to much money in one position, and to many FA's to sign.

Only way I see it happening is if Holmes is RFA

New York Jets Among Favorites to Land Plaxico Burress According to Oddsmakers

Gangreen-large_tiny by John B on Jun 7, 2011 12:00 PM EDT

The Jets are among the favorites to land recently released from prison Plaxico Burress according to Bodog.

Who will sign Plaxico Burress?

Philadelphia Eagles 3/2

New York Jets 3/1

St. Louis Rams 11/2

Washington Redskins 15/2

Minnesota Vikings 15/2

Pittsburgh Steelers 10/1

Chicago Bears 12/1

New York Giants 12/1

Cleveland Browns 15/1

Oakland Raiders 15/1

These are based more on guesswork and speculation than any inside information so take it all with a grain of salt. Burress is probably going to end up somewhere due to his track record. I still cannot help but wonder whether people might be expecting too much from him. He was an excellent receiver at one time, but he is 34 and out of football shape. Perhaps he will prove me wrong, but I think people expecting him to come in and play like he did in 2007 might be in for a pretty big disappointment.

Three Teams that Could Use Plaxico Burress – Which One Does He Go To?

June 7th, 2011 Matt Loede

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, there are three potential landing spots for former Giants wide receiver Plaxico Burress: Rams (rejoin Steve Spagnuolo), Dolphins (Brandon Marshall concerns) and Jets (3 Free agent WRs).

1. The Rams – They need a playmaker for Sam Bradford moving forward, and it looks like if they don’t get Burress, they may target Randy Moss. The Rams were a game away from making the playoffs a season ago, and adding Burress could be the thing that puts them over the top as the best team in the NFC West.

2. The Dolphins – Miami is another team that could use a playmaker at WR, and with the questions surrounding the recent domestic issues with Brandon Marshall, the team may need someone to fill the void. If the Dolphins can sign him, they become an immediate threat to the Pats and Jets in the division, and combined with Marshall they could be the best set of pass catchers in the AFC.

3. The Jets – An obvious choice for Burress, going back to the big lights in New York playing for a players coach in Rex Ryan. The Jets have been one step away from the Super Bowl the past two seasons, and adding Burress and putting him with maybe Santonio Holmes (allowing Braylon Edwards to go elsewhere) gives them a solid combo at WR. One downfall might be being in NY, where the issues that sent him to prison happened.

My Choice: I like St.Louis. As I stated, Bradford needs a playmaker, and that WR core is in the worst shape of the three, and not only could they use a Burress, they really NEED a Burress. I like the fact Burress has history with Steve Spagnuolo, and think playing in a division like the NFC West he could shine and maybe even lead the team in catches and yards in helping the Rams reach the playoffs.

Archived