Rex: Revis Could Be Best Jet Ever

flgreen

Rex: Revis could be best Jet ever

June, 7, 2011

Jun 7

9:55

AM ET

By Rich Cimini

We all know how much Rex Ryan loves to gush about Darrelle Revis, but the Jets' coach takes it up a notch in an interview for the NFL Network's top 100 players of 2011 (chosen by the players).

"One day we're gonna say that this is the best Jet in the history of the New York Jet franchise, I believe that. And I think we're gonna also see him in Canton one day," Ryan said, as per USA Today.

(Right about now, Revis' agents are printing out these comments to use in the next contract negotiation, you can count on that.)

That's lofty praise, considering Joe Namath is widely regarded as the best player in Jets history. Ryan, of all people, knows what Namath meant to the franchise because he his father, Buddy Ryan, was an assistant coach on the Namath-led Super Bowl III team.

What do you think? Will Revis go down as the greatest Jet ever? Is Rex off his rocker? Let me know what you think.

Here's what I think: In terms of dominance at his position, I'd give Hall-of-Fame WR Don Maynard a slight edge over Namath, but Namath -- also a Hall of Famer -- had a greater overall impact on the game. Therefore, my current top five greatest Jets:

1. Namath

2. Maynard

3. DT Joe Klecko

4. OT Winston Hill

5. RB Curtis Martin

In terms of the NFL Network's top 100, Revis has yet to be ranked (the network has revealed 41 to 100 in its weekly countdown), but it sounds like he'll be in the top 10, perhaps the top five. So far, three Jets have cracked the list: C Nick Mangold (47), WR Santonio Holmes (76) and LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson (79).

To be even considered one of the top 5 Revis needs to put a few more seasons of exceptional work without whining about his contract.

He can bitch about his contract...its a business. And even with all that bitching, the coach he plays for thinks he's not only worth the money, but is the best to put on the uniform.

Revis can say what he like until he stops producing.

He can bitch about his contract...its a business. And even with all that bitching, the coach he plays for thinks he's not only worth the money, but is the best to put on the uniform.

Revis can say what he like until he stops producing.

No doubt its a business. And i am not against a player getting the best deal possible.

But holdouts can have an impact on how you perform on the field. Last season Revis did not have a stellar season like he can with his talents. And big reason being he missed the training camps and was not in great shape at the start of the season.

To be even considered one of the top 5 Revis needs to put a few more seasons of exceptional work without whining about his contract.

:lol:

I think he can whine and still be the best defender in football.

He puts up another greatest season ever by a CB or two the next couple years, the Jets are going to have to be there again with a new deal. The way Rex leans on his CB's, this is a marriage that needs to stay together.

No doubt its a business. And i am not against a player getting the best deal possible.

But holdouts can have an impact on how you perform on the field. Last season Revis did not have a stellar season like he can with his talents. And big reason being he missed the training camps and was not in great shape at the start of the season.

Then they should have paid him the money. They want him to produce on the field? Put up the money. I have no compassion for these team owners, and this offseason only solidifies my standpoint.

I love the sport, but I dont allow my passion for the jets to interfere with the fact that this is a business and these players need to get as much as they can. If a holdout impacts a player and that player is willing to make that statement, then the team owner needs to make the decision on whether they can afford that holdout. Nothing wrong with that.

P.S. im not saying that your point of view is wrong....not at all. I see exactly what you saying and it makes sense. I just want to throw that out there. I just think that in the end, its what you were able to take in for income, especially as a player.

Then they should have paid him the money. They want him to produce on the field? Put up the money. I have no compassion for these team owners, and this offseason only solidifies my standpoint.

I love the sport, but I dont allow my passion for the jets to interfere with the fact that this is a business and these players need to get as much as they can. If a holdout impacts a player and that player is willing to make that statement, then the team owner needs to make the decision on whether they can afford that holdout. Nothing wrong with that.

This has to be one of the biggest piles of sh*t I've ever read. Let's just completely disregard the fact for a moment that Revis was already locked in for another THREE YEARS on a deal he held out for to begin with. Let's ignore that apparently Revis, in your ridiculous mind, has absolutely zero responsibility to stick by his word, do what he's contracted to do or honor the contract which he gladly received an extremely large sum of money up front which is meant to serve as a large portion of the ENTIRETY of the contract, half of which Revis refused to honor.

Ok, that's a lot of crap to ignore, but we'll do it. Now your stance is, that after the Jets give Revis the new contract he holds out for, and pays him the ludicrous amount of money he asks for, he is suddenly under NO OBLIGATION to oh, I don't know, EARN that money? And your reason why is because the Jets didn't go and give him the obscene amount of money he decided he wanted, while already contracted for another three years, quickly enough? TOO ******* BAD. If the Jets are responsible for renegotiating Revis' contract every time he feels like it, regardless of his contract situation, than Revis is responsible for earning every single penny of that contract through his play, regardless of when he gets that contract or any other BS excuse. Bottom line: Did the Jets pay Revis the absurd amount of money he was asking for? YES. Did Revis play to a level this season to earn the amount of money he received? NO.

It's one thing to think Revis deserved more money than he was making, or to agree with a holdout as a means of negotiating a new contract, it's another to completely excuse every action someone makes and giving them ZERO accountability simply because you essentially like the fact that he's "sticking it to man". Revis has a job to do, and he has a responsibility to perform that job at a certain level. When he not only refuses to do the job at the amount he's contractually agreed to AND also fails to perform at the expected level due to HIS ACTIONS, that is completely unacceptable by the most simple principles of any evaluation method. That is, the principles of those people who live in the real world and are actually held accountable for their actions, not some dipsh*ts out there who think they deserve everything handed to them without earning it.

Archived