Jamaal Westerman

Lupz27

3 million is pretty minimal especially since teams can go past this years salary cap by that amount. Our strength is in our defense, for 3 million you shouldn't be getting rid of a starter unless you have someone you know will be equal. Westermann is no sure thing and getting rid of Thomas would also kill depth at OLB if Westermann is all of the sudden the starter. We are losing Jason Taylor as well this year most likely and he was very useful taking snaps for us, we really shouldn't be getting rid of LBs like its no big deal.

I share your concern about purging the LB corps, however, good teams know when to cut old players instead of paying them for past performance. I'd like to think that the Jets have finally figure this out. We'll find out soon I guess...

So, if you apply this logic to the whole team... we'd have to field a complete team of semi-proven veterans. No rookies. No developmental players. No youth at all.

Every year new, young players take over as starters for veterans. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't... there's not much anyone can do about it, its sort of a necessity until the fountain of youth is discovered.

Is that not what the Jets have essentially done (besides Sanchez) for Rex's entire run? Also if you had a young player who looked ready or had proven himself in the two years he had been here already as capable of starting that would be one thing but Westermann has not done that. You are not talking about a large amount of savings you are talking about 1/40th of the cap for a starter and keeping depth at the position by Westermann being the first OLB off the bench where he will get ample opportunity to prove himself this year.

EDIT: As for your second post its not like BT is past his prime, he has played pretty much the same as he has his whole career besides his fluke year when he got the extension. He is still a capable starter, I would love an upgrade who is a better pass rusher but he isn't bad.

Is that not what the Jets have essentially done (besides Sanchez) for Rex's entire run? Also if you had a young player who looked ready or had proven himself in the two years he had been here already as capable of starting that would be one thing but Westermann has not done that. You are not talking about a large amount of savings you are talking about 1/40th of the cap for a starter and keeping depth at the position by Westermann being the first OLB off the bench where he will get ample opportunity to prove himself this year.

Don't get me wrong, I see where you are coming from... but I also get the impression that the Jets are trying to free up money, and perhaps Rex thinks he can add more talent than they are losing. I'm not sure what to make of it just yet, but I hardly doubt that if BT is let go that Westerman alone will be the answer for replacing him.

The way Rex fields his D, I expect a handful of new bodies in there with roles that serve to replace the players we lose. I just don't see it as a 1-to-1 swap I guess. I mean, Rex is kinda known for developing guys in his front-7 that aren't exactly household names. I trust him.

Thats the point but I do think its a bit of what I said above. I'd guess there would be other avenues we could take without cutting our starting OLB and nobody adequate behind him. Plus, with the constraints coaches have on time and practice, guys like Thomas who know the system can be invaluable.

We have one safety. We have a cornerback and a half. We have no receivers. Come on. We're talking about downgrading at the two-down linebacker position. If there are more painless avenues available for shoring up any of our many glaring weaknesses, let's have them.

We have one safety. We have a cornerback and a half. We have no receivers. Come on. We're talking about downgrading at the two-down linebacker position. If there are more painless avenues available for shoring up any of our many glaring weaknesses, let's have them.

Truth... and frankly, we don't necessarily know if its really a downgrade yet.

F'ing Mevis Slouch.

Nah, I get the point, but with the current constraints going against the coaches to have their teams prepared, I'd prefer to hold on to the solid vets who play a crucial role in our D.

I'd be all for it if there was any sign at an adequate replacement.

Archived