Belichicks son a Rutgers football player

visajets

Bill Belichick's son joins Rutgers football as long snapper

Published: Tuesday, August 02, 2011, 1:32 PM Updated: Tuesday, August 02, 2011, 1:36 PM

By Tom Luicci/The Star-Ledger The Star-Ledger

Follow 0

Share close Google Buzz Digg Stumble Upon Fark Reddit

Email

Print

John O'Boyle/The Star-LedgerRutgers coach Greg Schiano said he spoke with Bill Belichick, coach of the Patriots, about Belichick's son joining the Rutgers football program.

NEWPORT, R.I. -- Walk-on long snappers generally wind up being as obscure as their positions. But Rutgers has one that will this year that will draw more interest than most because of his surname -- even if he doesn't play.

Stephen Belichick, the son of New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick, will compete with returning starter Robert Jones for the long-snapping job following a four-year career playing lacrosse at Rutgers. The 5-11, 185-pounder from Weston, Mass. joined the team this summer.

"He always wanted to play football," Rutgers coach Greg Schiano said during Big East media day today. "Truth be told, when he was first starting (at Rutgers) he talked to me about trying to play football. We said 'Hey, look, you're here to play lacrosse. Get comfortable there.' For whatever reason it didn't work out and he came to me and said 'I'd like to do it this year.'

"Whether he wins the job or not, I think Stephen has some aspirations for coaching and I think he wants to get re-acclimated to football. It will be fun to have him around. Whether he's the guy or not will be determined."

Schiano said he spoke about the situation to the elder Belichick "briefly."

"Bill is like any other dad," he said. "He appreciates the opportunity. He knows it's about winning games."

Ironically, Schiano now finds himself in the same position as Belichick, with a son playing football for another coach. Schiano's oldest son, Joey, will be a freshman at Immaculata High in Somerville this fall.

Asked how he and Belichick will deal with that without meddling too much, he said it was simple.

"Try to be a dad, not coach," said Schiano.

Bill Belichick's son joins Rutgers football as long snapper

Published: Tuesday, August 02, 2011, 1:32 PM Updated: Tuesday, August 02, 2011, 1:36 PM

By Tom Luicci/The Star-Ledger The Star-Ledger

Follow 0

Share close Google Buzz Digg Stumble Upon Fark Reddit

Email

Print

John O'Boyle/The Star-LedgerRutgers coach Greg Schiano said he spoke with Bill Belichick, coach of the Patriots, about Belichick's son joining the Rutgers football program.

NEWPORT, R.I. -- Walk-on long snappers generally wind up being as obscure as their positions. But Rutgers has one that will this year that will draw more interest than most because of his surname -- even if he doesn't play.

Stephen Belichick, the son of New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick, will compete with returning starter Robert Jones for the long-snapping job following a four-year career playing lacrosse at Rutgers. The 5-11, 185-pounder from Weston, Mass. joined the team this summer.

"He always wanted to play football," Rutgers coach Greg Schiano said during Big East media day today. "Truth be told, when he was first starting (at Rutgers) he talked to me about trying to play football. We said 'Hey, look, you're here to play lacrosse. Get comfortable there.' For whatever reason it didn't work out and he came to me and said 'I'd like to do it this year.'

"Whether he wins the job or not, I think Stephen has some aspirations for coaching and I think he wants to get re-acclimated to football. It will be fun to have him around. Whether he's the guy or not will be determined."

Schiano said he spoke about the situation to the elder Belichick "briefly."

"Bill is like any other dad," he said. "He appreciates the opportunity. He knows it's about winning games."

Ironically, Schiano now finds himself in the same position as Belichick, with a son playing football for another coach. Schiano's oldest son, Joey, will be a freshman at Immaculata High in Somerville this fall.

Asked how he and Belichick will deal with that without meddling too much, he said it was simple.

"Try to be a dad, not coach," said Schiano.

I went to Rutgers and had classes with some athletes who dealt with this kid and they said he was a prick and came off as being very spoiled...apple doesn't fall very far from the tree.....I hope he doesn't make the team

Think about this.

Your father is very wealthy, is a public figure, and is one of the most recognized people in the United States.

And he uses all his wealth, power, influence and prestige to get you into.....RUTGERS!! :lol:

Two posts in one thread knocking Rutgers, let me guess, Rutgers rejected you?

*Cue made up post about going to some ivy league school*

Haha do you just hate state schools?

Not all of them.

I hate Penn State, because everyone I've ever met from that school is a complete a$$hole.

I don't hate Rutgers. I more or less just feel sorry for those people. I mean, don't get me wrong, they are good people. Just not the sharpest tools in the shed if you know what I mean.

Archived