LT plans to continue playing beyond 2011

Jetsfan80

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2011/08/06/2011-08-06_lt_eyes_playing_beyond_2011.html

New York Jets tailback LaDainian Tomlinson eyes playing beyond 2011

BY Kevin Armstrong

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Saturday, August 6th 2011, 4:00 AM

Last year, tailback LaDainian Tomlinson was a Jet with something to prove. This season, he's hoping to better preserve his body.

Tomlinson, 32, returned to the field in a new role Thursday night after the players ratified a new collective bargaining agreement. Set to transition into a third-down running back this season as Shonn Greene ascends into the starting slot, Tomlinson has adapted a mentality of looking toward another season on the field past 2011. He prepared the same as in past offseasons, but maintained that he is primed to watch Greene grow into the starting role while he complements him on third downs. Running backs coach Anthony Lynn plans to get Greene up to 300 carries in the regular season. Tomlinson carried 219 times in 2010.

"I just think how I feel, obviously God willing and knock on wood and all that stuff, how I feel physically, mentally that's why I can say I'm going to continue to play after this year," Tomlinson said yesterday.

In carrying the load as the offense's workhorse last season, Tomlinson gained 914 yards and scored six touchdowns, but he stalled down the stretch, unable to match his early-season form in the playoffs. The lasting image of the AFC Championship Game at Heniz Field was Tomlinson being stood up by the Pittsburgh Steelers defense on the goal line following a fourth-and-1 attempt.

"Obviously at the time and probably a week afterward you think, 'Man, what would have happened if I made it in?' " he said. "You know, but at this point, it's a new year, you really can't think about it. I don't think it does any good really thinking about it."

Tomlinson, who restructured his contract to give the front office more flexibility to deal with free agents, mentors younger players and is a security blanket for quarterback Mark Sanchez. He caught 52 balls last year for 362 yards, serving as the outlet for Sanchez on dump-downs and screens. Checkdowns developed into threats, and Tomlinson took pride in protecting his quarterback.

"He's a lifesaver," Sanchez said. "If you're in trouble, just find LT."

An elusive Super Bowl ring is what drives him still. Tomlinson has never gotten past the AFC title game, and he admits that the toll of playoff ousters adds up each offseason.

"About a month, every year it gets longer to deal with the losses, especially when you're in the playoffs and as close as we got," he said. "Mainly because you don't know if you're going to get that shot again, you really don't know. I've seen guys in their career never make it to the playoffs."

WOODY RETIRES: Damien Woody, 33, who played tackle, guard and center at various stops in his 12-year pro career, announced that he will serve as an NFL analyst for ESPN and ESPN1050 in New York. "The one thing I will say is I'm really looking forward to life after football, especially my body," said Woody, who won two Super Bowls with the Patriots (2001, 2003) and also played for the Lions (2004-07)....Rex Ryan still has free agent receiver Derrick Mason on his mind. "I'd obviously like to get Derrick right now, but he's got other teams, he's got other things like that," Ryan said. "I'm sure he'd have to leave money on the table to come here." The Tennessee Titans, whom Mason played for earlier in his career, are reportedly interested....Plaxico Burress took part in the morning walkthrough, wearing his white uniform without pads. The wideout, who rolled his left ankle while running routes on Wednesday, did not practice in the afternoon, but caught balls shot at him from a JUGS machine.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2011/08/06/2011-08-06_lt_eyes_playing_beyond_2011.html#ixzz1UG44iuKE

I wouldnt mind keeping LT around here as a 3rd down back at a low salary and to also work with McKnight and the rest of our RB's always nice to have a HOFer around to set an example. Then we can slowly work Mcknight in to that role as LT gets set to retire. I think this puts us in a very good position. Only way this would not work is if LT was selfish and was pushing for money and playing time and we all know thats not the case. Bravo LT !!!

I especially like this because it means LT is absolutely ready for 2011. If he was saying this was his last year, it would be an admission that he's slowing down. FEELING like you can still play the game is almost as important as ACTUALLY still "having it".

LT can not be the featured RB anymore, but he is still good as a change of pace runner, or short yardage guy, or to spell Shonn Greene.

As far as playing in 2012 or beyond, don't know if the Jets will decide to re-sign him or not. Much depends on what he does in 2011.

I wouldnt mind keeping LT around here as a 3rd down back at a low salary and to also work with McKnight and the rest of our RB's always nice to have a HOFer around to set an example. Then we can slowly work Mcknight in to that role as LT gets set to retire. I think this puts us in a very good position. Only way this would not work is if LT was selfish and was pushing for money and playing time and we all know thats not the case. Bravo LT !!!

Honestly, that's what this year is probably going to be for the Jets with LT. The guy is still a hell of a receiver and that skill set still makes him quite valuable to the Jets. With McKnight starting off last year rough, they're not going to just go out and hand him over that role, but don't think he won't get plenty of opportunities to prove himself and contribute, and as long as he shows what he's capable of, it'll be his job come 2012. With LT's contract expiring and Greene, McKnight and Powell all still under contract, I'd say the chances are very slim that he comes back next year.

Archived