can jets rookie QB Bryce Petty make a serious run at Geno Smith's job ? ? ?

kelly

@RichCimini Do you think @b_petty14 has the tools to be THE guy if Geno continues to disappoint? What have you seen from him ?

@RichCimini : I'll tell you what I've seen from Bryce Petty, Rob: Arm talent. His arm is good enough to make all the throws. But, as you know from watching Geno Smith, it takes more than a good arm to be an effective quarterback. We won't know about Petty's intangibles until we see him in game conditions, facing a live pass rush. Some fans might be hoping he pulls a Russell Wilson, a middle-round pick who blows away everyone from day one. The Jets would love to see that happen, but Wilson's advantage was that he already was well-versed in the Seattle Seahawks' offense, having played in a West Coast system in college. That's not the case with Petty, who played in an up-tempo spread at Baylor. There will be a steep learning curve. I also can tell you this:

I understand that there will be a learning curve, but isn't that exactly what they Jets are supposedly looking to employ?

The coaches like Petty's moxie. He has that "it" factor, but, again, we have to see how it goes when things get serious on the field.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/52222/can-jets-rookie-qb-bryce-petty-make-a-serious-run-at-geno-smiths-job

Moxie?  They are just ******* with us now, right?

If Petty truly showed some talent and ability to grasp the offense, Gailey is the perfect Coordinator who can run variations of the spread to make him feel comfortable as we ease him into the NFL game. Basically it comes down to speed, not only physically on the defensive side of the ball, but how fast he can read and react to situation's. That's what makes or breaks a QB.

Im a huge fan of Russel Wilson but Petty and Wilson are 2 very different QB's and a lot of people forget Russel Wilson  was given very little to do during a major portion of his first year other than not make mistakes he really didn't turn it on until the second half of the season and throught the playoffs.

Generally agree, but if it was so easy for a rookie QB - or even a veteran - to just not make mistakes, then there wouldn't be any turnover-prone QBs in the league. The reality is that not making mistakes at the position is exceptionally difficult. And it's not necessarily easier throwing disproportionately when everyone knows it's coming.

That being said, no one throws the ball as infrequently as Russell Wilson. 25 attempts/game his first 2 seasons and 28 per in 2014.  Dead last in the NFL each year, with room to spare each year.

Has there every been a qb taken in round 4 that gets more franchise talk then bryce petty? 4th round qbs are usually afterthoughts.

He doesn't get much ink or hype. He gets ink because the QB situation is A question mark, otherwise no one would mention him.

@eallenjets How long will it take Bryce a Petty until he becomes a solid NFL QB ?

EA : This is a perfect situation for Petty. There is zero pressure on the Baylor product to play as a rookie. He is making a significant jump and the Jets believe he will be able to be successful in the long-term. He has worked hard in the classroom and he can spin it. Petty throws a pretty ball and it jumps out of his hand. QB coach Kevin Patullo said Petty’s most difficult challenge will be adjusting to the speed of the defense and getting acclimated to all the defensive looks. Listed as 6’3”, 230 pounds, Petty has prototypical size of the position. It’s possible that Petty – minus a couple of preseason contests – could redshirt this season and there is nothing wrong with that at all.

rest of above article :

> http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-6/EA-QA-Perfect-Situation-for-Petty/a36fbc2b-8248-4f3b-bc89-132b8be341da

As July began with a scorching summer day, Geno Smith wasn’t feeling the heat at his local youth football camp in Boonton, NJ.“I have over 300 kids here at my camp. This is my second year doing this here in Jersey,” he told reporters. “When I came out for the first time and I saw the kids, I had a huge smile on my face. I just couldn’t stop smiling. I was so excited. I feel almost more excited than the kids at this point because just to be able to get out here and interact with them is very special.”

In less than a month, Smith will return to Florham Park for the start of his third professional training camp.“I don’t feel any pressure,” he said. “The key thing is that going into camp, going in with the right mindset. I feel like we have a lot of room for improvement, but I love the way we’re working and competing. To have guys around me that are so, so good, it takes all the pressure off of me.”Smith will lead the first-team offense when camp opens and head coach Todd Bowles has declared the starting spot as his to lose. But veteran Ryan Fitzpatrick is expected to be full go and rookie Bryce Petty has a full spring workload under his belt.“I’m in competition with myself to try and be perfect. I’m in competition with Ryan, I’m in competition with Bryce, all the guys out there, the defense,” Smith said today. “I’m in competition with the guys on the offense. We all want to try and perfect our game, and we’re all going to set the standard high and try and hold each other accountable.”

Working in a new system under coordinator Chan Gailey, Smith wants to play freely. He sounds like a point guard intent on making the simple play and distributing the rock.“The key thing is just go into it with the right mindset. Every single play counts. Make the right play – not too hard, not too much pressure,”he said.“Go out there read the defense, get the ball into the hands of the playmakers.”One of those playmakers is Brandon Marshall. After acquiring Marshall from the Bears, the wide receiver moved in with the quarterback.“He’s a quarterback’s best friend… For one, he’s a veteran guy,” Smith said of Marshall. “He understands the game on and off the field. He’s a beast of a player. You can’t say enough good things about him.”Since taking over in January, Bowles has said he wants less turnovers from the quarterback position. Smith, who completed 65% of his passes with only two interceptions over his final four games in 2014, knows the consistency has to be there throughout his third season.

“Just consistency overall, bringing it every day to practice, bringing it to every game and going out there performing in a way that our team will have a chance to win every single game,” he said. “And for me, I think that’s being more consistent on an every down basis and just taking care of the football.”

> http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Geno-‘I-Don’t-Feel-Any-Pressure’/2812e522-b48a-4e77-8161-87d40365497f

Archived