Six of the Best 2016 NFL Draft Prospects Under 5’10”

Gas2No99

*Had issues trying to copy video gifs to the post.

Six of the Best 2016 NFL Draft Prospects Under 5’10”

Written by Bryan Perez on February 2, 2016

The NFL is one of the most violent and aggressive professional sports leagues in the world.  As a result, it’s crucial that prospects who hope to play in the league possess the necessary measurables to hold up against the weekly beating that is inherently part of the game.

Simply put, size matters.

The 2016 Scouting Combine is less than one month away.  Much like at the Senior Bowl’s National Scouting Weigh-In, participating prospects will have their height and weight ‘officially’ recorded for all 32 teams to inspect.  There will be several players who fail to reach their position’s generally accepted minimums, resulting in questions and concerns about their pro football potential.

Despite the fact that the NFL is hyper-focused on a player’s size and strength, there are several prospects every year who enter the league undersized and end up having really solid careers.  This article will identify six players who are unofficially listed under 5’10” tall and who have a chance to be the next overachievers in the NFL.

Byron Marshall, WR, Oregon| 5’9″, 202 lbs

Marshall suffered a leg injury halfway through the 2015 season that caused him to miss the rest of the year.  He’s being overlooked a bit because of it.  Assuming the injury hasn’t cost him any of his burst or lateral agility, Marshall could be a bargain on Day Three for a team in search of an offensive weapon and special teams contributor.

I’m intrigued by Marshall’s skill set, especially if he lines up in the slot.  He’s big enough to bully nickel cornerbacks for the ball and shifty enough to create separation from larger more lumbering linebackers.  Here’s a nice example of Marshall’s physicality at the catch point:

Here’s a nice example of Marshall’s toe-tapping coordination along the sideline, something that I can envision him doing quite a bit on Sundays:

If you’re going to overcome size limitations, you better have a diverse skill set.  This clip shows Marshall’s natural feel as a kick returner, something that I think he’ll specialize in during the early phase of his career:

?clip=257823

DeAndre Washington, RB, Texas Tech | 5’7″, 199 lbs

DeAndre Washington was one of the smallest players at the 2016 Senior Bowl, but he ran hard and with a lot of pop.  His size  will limit his ability to run between the tackles in the NFL, but he proved on Saturdays that he has the desire to keep driving through contact.  Here’s a clip that shows his refusal to quit:

The most appealing part of Washington’s game is his burst and quickness.  While I don’t envision him being much more than a rotational running back in the pro’s, he certainly possesses a set of traits that NFL teams will want on their roster.  Here’s an example of his natural shiftiness that is going to be tough for even the most schooled linebackers to stay in front of:

Washington won’t come off the board until the later portion of Day Three, but don’t count him out as an active participant on NFL Sundays.  He’s a guy that I would describe as ‘short,’ not ‘small.’  It wouldn’t surprise me if he ends up in a Brandon Oliver-type role (Chargers) at some point during his pro career.

K.J. Maye, WR, Minnesota | 5’8″, 194

K.J. Maye won’t be one of the first receivers off the board, but he’ll certainly be a name to watch during the 5th through 7th rounds.  Maye does just about everything well and he has a knack for making a big play despite his physical limitations.  Here’s a nice example of Maye using every pound of his frame to box-out the defender and secure a long pass down the field:

The Golden Gopher is a gamer.  He’s fun to watch and you can tell he loves the game.  Here’s a highlight that I think shows some of that “it” factor in Maye’s game.  Is he going to be a go-to-guy in the NFL?  Absolutely not.  But it wouldn’t shock me if he emerges as a contributing slot receiver within the first two or three years of his career.

Tyler Ervin, RB, San Jose State | 5’9″, 192

One of the biggest surprises for me at the Senior Bowl was Ervin’s weight.  His 192 lb weigh-in was 15 lbs heavier than his listed measureables (177).  His effort to bulk up will help his draft stock, but at the end of the day, it’s all about speed.  And boy does Ervin have a ton of it:

Ervin is a one-touch talent who can flip the field in the blink of an eye.  And while I don’t think he’s big or physical enough to be a guy who will get a ton of carries in the NFL, I do think he’ll be a heavily used weapon in the pass game.  The below clip is an incomplete pass, but it shows how quickly Ervin can separate from the defender charged with covering him:

Ervin is also a highly productive special teamer (much like Byron Marshall).  If his 40-yard dash is as fast as his tape suggests it is, Ervin could come off the board as early as the fourth round.

Tavon Young, CB, Temple | 5’9″, 180

I hadn’t studied Tavon Young all that much before the Senior Bowl, but he quickly made a name for himself during the practice sessions.  He was winning his one-on-one reps, breaking-up passes, and seemed to be flying to the ball with good instincts and physicality.  I had to go back and double check my notes to make sure he was only 180 lbs.  His size will limit his ability to match up against some of the giant-like receivers in the NFL, but he is tailor-made to blanket today’s slot targets.  Below is a sample of Young’s playmaking ability:

Aaron Green, RB, TCU | 5’10”, 203

Ok, I know…this is cheating a little.  The headline says that I was going to reveal six of the best prospects ‘under’ 5’10”, but I just can’t help myself.  I had to discuss Aaron Green.  Despite being 5’10”, he’s still undersized by today’s feature-back standards.  You wouldn’t know it by watching his tape; he’s one of the more enjoyable running backs to watch in this class.  He reminds me of a discounted version of LeSean McCoy (Bills).  Here’s a clip that shows his field-flipping speed:

I was a bit disappointed by Aaron Green’s practice performances at the 2016 Senior Bowl.  He didn’t do anything to hurt himself, but I was hoping to see a little more juice and wiggle in the drills.  That said, Green rose to the occasion during the actual game, flashing the kind of elite change of direction ability that is consistently on display in his college tape:

Aaron Green is probably going to get drafted on Day Three, but he’s going to have a week-one impact. I can easily see him fitting into the Duke Johnson (Browns) role in 2016 with a chance to become a much more featured aspect of a team’s offensive attack as his career matures.

The team at Draft Breakdown will be bringing you all the 2016 Scouting Combine measureables as they happen, so make sure you check back regularly during the week of February 23rd for the latest news, notes and updates!

Archived