Mangold Day to Day

flgreen

Nick Mangold injures his neck

Friday, August 12, 2011

The Record

Print | E-mail

Mangold injures neck

Center Nick Mangold suffered a neck stinger in a goal-line drill during the Jets’ afternoon practice Thursday. The Jets are listing him as day to day. The drill, which features hitting and tackling for everyone except the quarterbacks, ended with running back Shonn Greene leaping across the goal line and over a pile of players.

Mangold stayed down for several minutes on his hands and knees and was attended to by trainers before he finally got up and walked gingerly to the building to be examined. Mangold did not return, and was replaced by Rob Turner. Vladimir Ducasse took over at right guard, which was where Turner had been playing. Starting right guard Brandon Moore (off-season hip surgery) hasn’t begun practicing.

Wide receiver Plaxico Burress (ankle) was excused from the morning walkthrough for personal reasons, and did some very light individual work in the afternoon. He didn’t take part in team drills, even though coach Rex Ryan indicated he expects Burress to play a little in the preseason opener at Houston on Monday.

Cole returns

Third-year cornerback Marquice Cole practiced Thursday for the first time this month, having missed all of training camp until now because of a family matter. Cole returned to the Jets’ complex Wednesday, a day off for the players.

"I had to take care of some stuff, but it’s great to be back," Cole said, although he admitted it won’t be easy compensating for lost time.

"To miss those days," he said, "nothing will make up for that. I just have to go out here and do a little extra to try to get back and [be] ready."

Briefs

Wyckoff native Brian Toal caught a touchdown pass from rookie Greg McElroy and had a nice block to help spring Chris Jennings for a scoring run during the third-string goal-line drill. Toal, one of only two fullbacks in camp, is working with the second and third teams. … The Jets waived S DaJuan Morgan, who has played in 30 NFL games over the past three seasons with Indianapolis and Kansas City. He had been signed Aug. 2.

— J.P. Pelzman

Moore to watch

August, 12, 2011

Aug 12

10:37

AM ET

By Jane McManus

Brandon Moore was taken off the PUP list this morning and is taking part in the morning walkthrough. The Jets right guard had hip surgery after last season and hasn't practiced yet with the Jets. Center Taylor Boggs was cut to make room.

Moore will work alongside RT Wayne Hunter this season after Damien Woody was cut after last season. He retired before this season started despite interest from the Jets in bringing him back.

WR Plaxico Burress, who is present for this morning's walkthrough, could practice more during the team drills in the afternoon.

Glad to hear on both accounts. Mangold isn't too surprising, but still glad to see, this is something that seems to happen to him a lot, and it's good that it's just another one of these minor things and he should be fine going forward. Moore coming back is also good to hear, because as much as I actually do like Turner as a backup who could step in at any of the interior line spots when needed, he's certainly not on the level of Moore. He's the most veteran player on this line now, has been a hell of a player for the Jets and it will certainly only be a help having him next to a new starter (outside of a few games at the end of last year) at RT.

Jets C Nick Mangold fine after practice scare on Thursday

Published: Friday, August 12, 2011, 12:52 PM Updated: Friday, August 12, 2011, 1:34 PM

By Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger The Star-Ledger

Follow 1

Share close Google Buzz Digg Stumble Upon Fark Reddit

Email

Print

Andy Mills/The Star-LedgerHead coach Rex Ryan (right) watches as center Nick Mangold is tended to by team medical personnel after being injured during action.

Nick Mangold said he felt the stinger with the first instance of contact during the final goal line play. It sent a jolt into his shoulder and neck area and he felt parts of his upper body go numb.

“Consistent with what you’d expect,” Mangold said. “It went numb there which is always a little disconcerting, so that kind of shoots a shock to the system.”

The moment itself didn’t scare him, Mangold said it just took him a moment to assess where his body was at, stuck at the bottom of a pile that Shonn Greene just jumped over. But the trainers told him to stay on the ground, which seemed out of the ordinary.

“You deal with it, it’s a little odd when the trainer tells you to stay down and not to move, but after that it was good,” he said.

Mangold will only be involved with individual drills today, but said he thinks he’ll play in Monday’s preseason opener against Houston.

“I would Imagine I would, we’ll see, I’ll be out there and I’ll see how it feels. Take the appropriate steps.”

Whether or not he does will shift how the backup offensive line reps play out. If Mangold cannot start, Rob Turner will fill in at center and Vladimir Ducasse will play right guard for Brandon Moore, who was just activated off the PUP list.

If Mangold can start, Turner will get the start at guard and Ducasse will back up Wayne Hunter at the right tackle spot.

Either way, head coach Rex Ryan said that Brandon Moore will miss Monday’s game against Houston.

Ryan called the idea of momentarily losing his Pro Bowl center “scary,” and said he wasn’t comfortable with the situation until the feeling returned in Mangold’s hands.

“That’s a rough one, there’s no doubt,” Ryan said. “This is a game that there’s a 100 percent injury rate so I don’t care if you’re a kicker, you’re going to have something.”

As for Moore, he said his target date is the Dallas game (season opener) though he may be able to come back sooner.

Though he was ahead of schedule, Moore said the lockout made things a little more difficult as far as the recovery process goes.

"I think I would have been a little bit better if I had been here, but that wasn’t the circumstances," he said. "Having more access probably would have helped me."

He is not yet at 100 percent, but is looking forward to putting an arduous offseason behind him. On top of recovery, he was also the Jets' union representative during the CBA rebuilding process.

Archived