Two TE Set

flgreen

Out of 5 targets Keller caught 4 for 73 yards.

Out of 3 targets Cumberland caught 2 for 43 yards.

I didn't notice any plays last night that they were both on the field at the same time. I know neither of these guys are very good blockers, but they are both big guys with legitimate speed, and big play ability.

Does anyone else think that it might be a good idea to put these guys on the field together 8-9 plays a game? Not a look opposing DC's will see a whole lot of on film of the Jets, but once the Jets start doing it, it will have to be game planned for.

Would love to see it next week just to see what kind of stress it will bring on D's

The company line is that Keller's production dropped off after the first few weeks of the season because defenses caught onto him.

I'm up for alternate formations, but keep in mind that the Jets will want to get Derrick Mason on the field in 3 WR sets, and will want to have John Conner in the base offense. With neither of these TE's being great blockers, I don't see a lot of opportunity for two TE sets. I think it'll be what it's always been for the Jets under Schottenheimer - specific game plans designed to specific opponents. If they see a team that they think they can exploit with two TE's, they'll do it.

In the meantime, Cumberland looks like a nice backup receiving TE.

I didn't notice any plays last night that they were both on the field at the same time. I know neither of these guys are very good blockers, but they are both big guys with legitimate speed, and big play ability.

Does anyone else think that it might be a good idea to put these guys on the field together 8-9 plays a game? Not a look opposing DC's will see a whole lot of on film of the Jets, but once the Jets start doing it, it will have to be game planned for.

Would love to see it next week just to see what kind of stress it will bring on D's

I'm a big fan of it. BIG FAN. Especially when you are a power running team who can force D's to sell out for the run. The play actions, like it was last night, should be unstoppable. Especially when you have a QB who can throw on the run and a OL that moves the pocket well. Plus, they are both big targets with great hands and yac ability.

The company line is that Keller's production dropped off after the first few weeks of the season because defenses caught onto him.

I'm up for alternate formations, but keep in mind that the Jets will want to get Derrick Mason on the field in 3 WR sets, and will want to have John Conner in the base offense. With neither of these TE's being great blockers, I don't see a lot of opportunity for two TE sets. I think it'll be what it's always been for the Jets under Schottenheimer - specific game plans designed to specific opponents. If they see a team that they think they can exploit with two TE's, they'll do it.

In the meantime, Cumberland looks like a nice backup receiving TE.

I think Keller's production dropped off last season because they were force feeding the ball to Holmes when he came back, but your point is well taken that there is a lot of talent in the WR's, and the use of a 2 TE set would be game plan specific.

Still think it would be an excellent idea to keep teams that are committed to stopping the Jets running game honest. We saw that quite a bit last year that teams sold out to stop the run, and challenged Sanchez to beat them.

This would be an upsetting look for teams that committed to that. you can get one of these guys one on one with a smaller DB. Look out

I like them both, but they are both still more WR than OT. They aren't the kind of TE that lets you force feed the run. I was just complaining to my Dad that saying defenses adjusted to Keller was a joke because they stopped throwing it to him when Holmes came back. They had to spread the ball around to Holmes, Edwards and Cotchery and Keller's role was reduced.

I think Keller's production dropped off last season because they were force feeding the ball to Holmes when he came back, but your point is well taken that there is a lot of talent in the WR's, and the use of a 2 TE set would be game plan specific.

Still think it would be an excellent idea to keep teams that are committed to stopping the Jets running game honest. We saw that quite a bit last year that teams sold out to stop the run, and challenged Sanchez to beat them.

This would be an upsetting look for teams that committed to that. you can get one of these guys one on one with a smaller DB. Look out

We agree. I think you'll see the Jets use it against specific opponents. Honestly, the Pats come to mind. They seem to be beefing up their DL at the expense of their LB's and secondary. The Jets will want to drop the ball over their large, elderly front four.

In the few times we used the 2 TE set I saw good things happen. Looks like Rex learned a little something from Bellachick after all. We really have a chance to mix it up a lot on offense this year. Teams will have more difficulty planning for us on offense. I expect huge steps forward in the receiving game this year.

In the few times we used the 2 TE set I saw good things happen. Looks like Rex learned a little something from Bellachick after all. We really have a chance to mix it up a lot on offense this year. Teams will have more difficulty planning for us on offense. I expect huge steps forward in the receiving game this year.

I hope so. I like our TE situation and it would add another dimension to Schotty's predictable playcalling. Keller is a beast that tends to get ignored alot and Cumberland seems to have the skills to be on the football field.

I think and I HOPE that Jeff Cumberland has moved ahead of that stiff Matthew Mulligan who let's be honest, can't catch a football. I really like JCumb'spass catching ability he reminds me of a bigger and more mobile version of Chris Baker

IT'S GOLD JERRY, PURE GOLD!!!

Archived