Things Cimini Learned Tuesday

flgreen

Three things we learned Tuesday

August, 23, 2011

Aug 23

7:28

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

1. Rex Ryan knows restraint, after all. The Jets' coach is known as a loose cannon, but he did a nice job of measuring his words when asked to comment on Vernon Gholston's critical remarks about him. Ryan defended himself, but he didn't get into a mudslinging contest with Gholston, who comes off looking like the smaller person here. Yeah, Ryan takes a shot at him in his book, which was released after Gholston was cut, but he supported the former No. 1 pick for two years during his epic struggles. Gholston should've kept quiet. Draft busts shouldn't whine; it's not endearing.

2. Now playing -- MTV. Going into camp, the Jets talked up their young defensive linemen, but they never mentioned Martin Tevaseu, nicknamed MTV. Now they do. Tevaseu (6-2, 325), who started Sunday night at nose tackle for the injured Sione Pouha, received high praise from Ryan. "He played really well," Ryan said. "He's really coming. There's a guy that's going to be hard to push off this roster. He has improved so much from last year." Tevaseu could keep rookie Kenrick Ellis on the third team.

3. Say it ain't so, Joe. Backup RB Joe McKnight has matured a lot since his turbulent rookie year, but he still drives the coaches nutty with some of his reads. On his first carry against the Bengals, he ran into a crowd, stopped and reversed field, going around left end for 11 yards. RBs coach Anthony Lynn was pleased with the outcome, but not the decision. He told McKnight he has to be more decisive with his reads and cuts. Said McKnight: "He really didn't like (that run)." The growing process continues.

Three things we learned Tuesday

August, 23, 2011

Aug 23

7:28

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

1. Rex Ryan knows restraint, after all. The Jets' coach is known as a loose cannon, but he did a nice job of measuring his words when asked to comment on Vernon Gholston's critical remarks about him. Ryan defended himself, but he didn't get into a mudslinging contest with Gholston, who comes off looking like the smaller person here. Yeah, Ryan takes a shot at him in his book, which was released after Gholston was cut, but he supported the former No. 1 pick for two years during his epic struggles. Gholston should've kept quiet. Draft busts shouldn't whine; it's not endearing.

2. Now playing -- MTV. Going into camp, the Jets talked up their young defensive linemen, but they never mentioned Martin Tevaseu, nicknamed MTV. Now they do. Tevaseu (6-2, 325), who started Sunday night at nose tackle for the injured Sione Pouha, received high praise from Ryan. "He played really well," Ryan said. "He's really coming. There's a guy that's going to be hard to push off this roster. He has improved so much from last year." Tevaseu could keep rookie Kenrick Ellis on the third team.

3. Say it ain't so, Joe. Backup RB Joe McKnight has matured a lot since his turbulent rookie year, but he still drives the coaches nutty with some of his reads. On his first carry against the Bengals, he ran into a crowd, stopped and reversed field, going around left end for 11 yards. RBs coach Anthony Lynn was pleased with the outcome, but not the decision. He told McKnight he has to be more decisive with his reads and cuts. Said McKnight: "He really didn't like (that run)." The growing process continues.

I'm not usually like this, but I don't like Mcnight at all and would be ok if they got rid of him. He ducked a block last week that sealed it for me. I'm rooting to be wrong, but I just have a feeling with this guy. I'm completely unimpressed.

Whats mcknight doing getting 11 yard runs out of nothing... Cut this guy.

:lol: yeah most of the Mcknight hate is unwarrented. Most of it probably stems from Woodhead.

He is our only "explosive" back who can make something out of nothing.

And it wasn't McNight who got Woodhead cut it was Clowney. So we should redirect our hate at him.

Whats mcknight doing getting 11 yard runs out of nothing... Cut this guy.

Getting lucky after making a mistake rarely works. Especially with first teamers on a real defense. Like I said, I'm hoping to be wrong. I just have a feeling and am not impressed with an 11 yard run. He sidestepped a block in the first game that would have made me laugh if the Qb didn't get crushed.

One run is no reason to think he's "explosive" I liked Chauncy Washington better :D

Archived