Westhoff Wants to Coach One More Year

flgreen

Special-teams coordinator Mike Westhoff wants to coach through 2012

Published: Thursday, September 15, 2011, 4:07 PM Updated: Thursday, September 15, 2011, 5:05 PM

Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

Mike Westhoff draws up special-teams plays, like the blocked punt, for each week's innovative game plan.

Jets special-teams coordinator Mike Westhoff is under contract through this season. But Westhoff said he would like to coach one more year, through the 2012 season.

"All I have a contract for is this year," Westhoff said today. "I really think I would like to go this and one more, that's my goal. Then I'll be 65, that might be enough. But trust me, I don’t think that far ahead."

Westhoff, 63, is coaching in his 29th NFL season and 11th for the Jets.

Westhoff designed the punt block that helped key the Jets' 27-24 comeback win against Dallas Sunday. The play, called "Cowboy," was designed to have a 3-on-2 match-up of Jets players to Dallas blockers.

Westhoff said he thought cornerback Marquice Cole would have the best chance at blocking the ball from the wing. But when the player slotted at Dallas' fullback spot cheated outside, running back Joe McKnight had a free lane to smack the ball back down to the turf. Isaiah Trufant scooped it up and scored for the Jets.

"I want to win every play; every play I'm involved in, I take it very personal," Westhoff said. "My poor guys, they sit in the meeting. We made some great plays, and I'm raising much hell about what we didn’t do. For me yes, it’s gratifying, but it’s the only goal that I have."

Westhoff acknowledged that it was hard to find special-teams roles for McKnight last year, since he had no experience playing in that phase of the game. But he has found ways to utilize McKnight's speed.

"I gave him an opportunity (last year), he showed some flashes at times, but overall he was not so productive," Westhoff said. "We did find some things for him to do, and obviously one of those things worked very well."

Westhoff had to coach up a special teams unit with many new pieces but has found ways to make it work.

After the departure of Brad Smith, Antonio Cromartie is now the primary kick returner. Rookie Jeremy Kerley, who also returns punts, looked to be in line for that role in the preseason, but Westhoff said they wanted to break Kerley in and also didn't want to risk injury to Cromartie, a starting cornerback. Westhoff said he is most comfortable with Cromartie as the kick returner and likes his aggression.

He also thinks the kickoff return team could be the best blocking unit he has fielded to date.

The Jets stuck with Mark Brunell as the holder for kicker Nick Folk, instead of new punter T.J. Conley, because of a "comfort level," Westhoff said.

This seriously just made my day. This guy is still the best in the biz at what he does and as long he wants to he should, and will, have a job with the New York Jets. I was already a huge fanboy when it came to Westy, and Hard Knock's last year only intensified that, he's just great to have around this team, and I will never worry about special teams as long as he's here.

I had a feeling he'd do this. I remember last season when he announced he would retire after next season. he just didn't sound like he was ready to retire.

He said his son wanted him to retire after his battle with cancer all those years, that the family wanted to be around him more.

What's the sense of retiring if what you do is your whole life?

Archived