Big Plays on Defense - Closing out games

Integrity28

The past 2 years haven't given us much to complain about on the defensive side of the ball. The occasional flat start to a game, but typically we hold teams to low scores and get the job done.

One trend early this season, granted its only 2 games which is why I say "trend", is that we are doing more on defense than just forcing 3-and-outs. In the past the Jets D has allowed teams to makes us squirm late in games by playing bend but don't break D. Sometimes struggling to put the game away...

This year, I'm noticing a greater ability to come up with drive-ending, momentum-killing, sacks and interceptns... Big plays.... That demoralize the opponent. If this team makes this trend a constant, we might be looking at the best Jets defense we've ever seen take the field.

No more late 4th quarter drives where we give up a TD and force our offense to go convert a couple 3rd downs to seal the win.... Our D should be sealing the wins with bone-crushing sacks, and INTs. The way the truly great defenses do.

Strong post.

We've ranked as a top 5 defense over the past two years, but we're finally starting to see our defense come into it's own under Rex Ryan. As I pointed out during the offseason, while just about everyone was talking about our QB heading into his expected breakout season during his 3rd season, I also made it know that our defense is a defense that's also heading into it's 3rd year under Rex Ryan.

This is why it's important for the Jets offense to jump out to early 7-0 leads, such as last week, because once this defense has a lead, it'll become extremely tough for an opposing offense to have success against us; especially if we know the pass is coming.

dude, just stop starting new threads for like an hour

What are you talking about? I started 1 thread today, and it's all about football... Sorry that it's positive stuff, but it was a gesture to Max that despite our misunderstanding I'm here as a fan.

In the immortal words of DLJ, go kick rocks.

Strong post.

We've ranked as a top 5 defense over the past two years, but we're finally starting to see our defense come into it's own under Rex Ryan. As I pointed out during the offseason, while just about everyone was talking about our QB heading into his expected breakout season during his 3rd season, I also made it know that our defense is a defense that's also heading into it's 3rd year under Rex Ryan.

This is why it's important for the Jets offense to jump out to early 7-0 leads, such as last week, because once this defense has a lead, it'll become extremely tough for an opposing offense to have success against us; especially if we know the pass is coming.

actually top 3, last year we ranked 3rd overall, & 2yrs ago we were ranked 1st overall...pretty high standards we need to maintain.

I am still not sure we can definitively say how good our D is yet because of the 2 offenses we have played so far. (dez and miles gave us trouble until dez got hurt in the first game)

I did notice this though in the Jacksonville game and i really think by mid season the defense will be the best in the league with coverage tightening up and wilkerson being a force on the line .

I have been mentioning this all year. The defense seems to be concentrating on getting more turnovers. It may lead to them giving up more plays, but that was the one category they were down on last year. They new "younger" line may pay more dividends later on, but right now it's probably more scheme. Cromartie did this for a bit last year too and then flattened off. The Revis pick at the end of the Cowboys game was a direct result of them switching coverage to try to get the pick.

You know who is a great player on this defense that just needed time to come into his own? Pouha.

Guy is playing great football for us.... I wonder how many threads there were about giving up on him back in his early years.

I never started any threads, but I never thought he'd amount to anything. He didn't seem able to hold up as Mangini's NT. Any time Robertson left the game they'd run him over and everybody was ripping Robertson up and down. I was shocked when they gave him the extension and figured that the fact that they brought in Jenkins and Howard Green meant he was close to done. I was wrong. He's flourished. He's at a position where it's tough to even see what is going on when you see it on TV, but he's obviously holding up. *EDIT: another reason I didn't think he'd be anything is that he was supposed to be NFL ready as an old rookie because of his missionary work. When he looked bad early I assumed that was all he had.

Oakland should gives us opportunities for the big play on D. They are young and I got to imagine this D will give Campbell fits. Shut down their running attack and we should be gold.

If there is one thing the Jets should be able to do it's shut down the running attack. God I don't want to be here listening to it if McFadden has a big game.

Archived