Jets News 10-25

flgreen

What a trip!

By BRIAN COSTELLO

Last Updated: 5:33 AM, October 25, 2011

Posted: 1:31 AM, October 25, 2011

Plaxico Burress took a moment to reflect during his car ride home Sunday. After scoring three touchdowns in the 27-21 victory over the Chargers, Burress thought about his journey from prison back to starring on Sundays.

"I sat in the back of my car on the ride home just shaking my head, just envisioning getting back to having fun and playing at a high level," Burress said. "[i was] just thinking about everything me and my family has been through. Like I said, [sunday] was gratifying and humbling all at the same time.

It can be a very humbling game. Don't get too high with the highs and don't get too low with the lows. [i'm] just staying positive and everything will work out."

Burress is not back to being the force he was with the Giants by any means. His touchdowns Sunday covered a combined 10 yards. But he seems to be adjusting to life as a 34-year-old receiver who spent 20 months in prison.

"It's probably the first time in my career where I've really had to just come to practice and really just focus on getting better," he said. "I was just always a talented guy that just went to practice and practiced well, but now my focus is on I really have to go out and practice as hard as I can to get back to playing at a high level."

Last night in Manhattan, Burress spoke at a fundraiser for The Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence. He said he hoped his accidental shooting in 2008 and subsequent prison sentence could someday serve a "higher purpose."

"If I can save one life, keep one kid from having a firearm, then I think the higher purpose was served," Burress said, before receiving an ovation at the end of his speech.

Coach Rex Ryan singled out linebacker Calvin Pace for his play, in Sunday's game and all season.

"Calvin Pace was a monster in that game," Ryan said. "[He was] very physical in the way he was rushing the passer, setting the edge. Calvin, I think, is having the best year since I've been here. I don't think it's even close. He's really doing a tremendous job for us."

The Jets, who are on a bye this week, have lost the games following their bye weeks in each of Ryan's first two seasons, but he's not planning any changes to their schedule this year. The players are off for the remainder of the week after holding meetings and a walkthrough yesterday.

"We'll do it business as usual," Ryan said. "The only difference is, we're going to win coming out of the bye this year."

The Jets face the Bills on Nov. 6.

Ryan said DT Mike DeVito (knee), DT Kenrick Ellis (ankle) and LB David Harris (ankle) should all be able to play against the Bills. . . . WR Michael Campbell was released from the practice squad.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/what_trip_S2hVeqsaclkdZHSNAU5UwK#ixzz1bnTWoXYo

Aaron Maybin brings the mayhem

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

BY J.P. PELZMAN

STAFF WRITER

The Record

FLORHAM PARK – He got the nickname in college, although it had nothing to do with his play. And then it was forgotten for a while, largely because of his play.

But now, in his third NFL season, Aaron Maybin is "Mayhem" Maybin again, and causing plenty of it.

After two lackluster seasons with Buffalo, Maybin has three sacks and three forced fumbles in his first four games as a Jet. The outside linebacker seems poised to start reaching the potential he displayed at Penn State — the potential that led the Bills to spend the 11th overall pick on him in April 2009.

Maybin had no sacks for the Bills before being waived in August and signed by the Jets two days later. He subsequently was waived by the Jets on Sept. 4, then re-signed 24 days later. He got a strip sack of Baltimore quarterback Joe Flacco on Oct. 2 in his first game, and has been a force ever since.

Maybin got his nickname inadvertently from legendary coach Joe Paterno during Maybin’s college days.

"Joe, during practice or a team meeting or something like that," Maybin recalled, "said Mayhem by mistake. … My teammates never let me forget it and eventually I guess it turned into a little nickname."

"We need to get him on the field more," coach Rex Ryan said Monday, a day after Maybin contributed a sack in the Jets’ 27-21 win over San Diego. "There have been 40-some snaps he’s been out there and he’s had three sacks and three caused fumbles [and] made a lot of tackles. The Mayhem thing? I love that deal because it fits him. You guys [reporters] talk to him; you know what I’m talking about."

Maybin has a naturally loud voice, along with a confidence that belies his struggles of the past two seasons. Playing for Ryan, who clearly believes in him, has increased his presence and confidence.

"It makes you want to go out there and work harder," Maybin said, "the fact that they have confidence in you to go out there and produce. The fact that [Ryan] wants me in the game in situations where he needs a big play, that means a lot. He has faith that when he needs the big play, I can deliver for him."

That’s something he would love to do when the Jets visit Buffalo on Nov. 6. They have a bye Sunday.

"It’s a game that I’ve been eyeing for some time," said Maybin, who didn’t take shots at anyone in the Bills’ organization, past or present. "I’ll just say that it’s a fairly big game for this organization and for me. I definitely want to go out there and play a great game and do everything that I can do to make sure that we come out of the game with a win."

Maybin’s game is based on his pure speed, so it’s likely he’ll have to develop more moves as opposing teams begin to adjust to him. But he has something besides sacks that former Jets pass-rushing bust Vernon Gholston doesn’t have.

Maybin "only weighs about 225 pounds," Ryan said, "but he’s an explosive pass rusher. The thing that you love about him is, man, he is relentless."

"That’s always been my calling card," Maybin said. "I tell people all the time, [if] you look at me playing high school or Pop Warner football, and you look at me playing today, you’re basically seeing the same thing. My whole thing is, no matter how good somebody is, no matter how fast somebody is, no matter how talented somebody is, it’s always been my mentality that however good the offensive player is, he doesn’t want to get to the end zone as badly as I want to get to him."

E-mail: pelzman@northjersey.com

Coach: 'Air Rex' was flight of fancy

Jets Blog

By BRIAN COSTELLO

Last Updated: 5:33 AM, October 25, 2011

Posted: 1:29 AM, October 25, 2011

The day after the Ravens dismantled the Jets, Rex Ryan knew he made a mistake and was ready to admit it.

Ryan realized his team had to get back to running the ball the way it had in his first two seasons as head coach. He met with offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer and then with the team to tell them that they were going back to Ground and Pound.

Three weeks later, that decision looks as if it could turn the Jets' season around. The running game clicked in their 27-21 victory over the Chargers, gaining 162 yards on 31 carries, both season highs.

"I just thought that we weren't being ourselves," Ryan said yesterday, reflecting on that day three weeks ago. "We just wanted to get back to really playing New York Jets style of football, because there's nothing wrong with the way we play offense."

Ryan admitted he fell in love with the idea of throwing the ball all over the field with a receiving corps of Santonio Holmes, Plaxico Burress and, at the time, Derrick Mason.

"I got caught up in maybe being enamored with the type of personnel we had," Ryan said.

That led to the talk of "Air Rex" and putting more of the offense in the hands of third-year quarterback Mark Sanchez. The Jets threw the ball 44 times in two of the first three games to mixed results. They moved the ball, but the offense seemed out of sync.

Sanchez threw six touchdowns in the first four games, but also had five interceptions. Since Ryan made the switch back to being run-first, Sanchez has looked more relaxed. He has six touchdowns and just one interception in the past three games.

"I think the confidence . . . he's back. This is the offense that we built and he is so familiar with," Ryan said of Sanchez. "Not saying he can't do the other, but it just seems to fit us better."

The week before the Patriots game, Ryan made a change in practice. He had the scout team run full-speed to better imitate the game. Players said that made a difference, forcing them to practice more aggressively. The Jets said that week of practice was the best they had all year.

The results did not show immediately against the Patriots. The Jets gained 97 yards on the ground in the 30-21 loss in Foxborough, but swore they saw signs of improvement.

"You guys laughed at us after the New England game when we lost and Rex made a point that we were getting better and showed signs that we were getting closer," right guard Brandon Moore said.

"You could look at the film and see we were getting back to that."

After more improvement in a Monday night win over the Dolphins, the Jets completed their transition Sunday and talked about regaining their identity.

"Being physical -- that's how we've won," safety Jim Leonhard said. "That's our blueprint is we're physical, stop the run on defense. You get big hits, you change a game, you make big plays on defense. And then offensively, run the football, pound 'em, pound 'em, throw completions and you keep moving the sticks. In a word, it has to be 'physical.' That's our blueprint, and that's the only way we know how to win."

Moore said the Jets know they are a tough team when they stay true to their identity. That identity returned when Ryan decided to scrap "Air Rex" and return to the ground game.

"I guess as a lineman you want to run the ball, you want to run efficiently," Moore said, "and with the players we've got, with the system we've got, I think we do really well when we can pound on people, we can get to our play-actions, and Mark can get the ball down the field to the playmakers. That's what's done well for us in the past. If it's not broke . . ."

Moore did not need to finish the sentence.

The Jets learned that lesson the hard way.

brian.costello@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/jets_safely_land_back_on_run_way_0lIloE0pADZmkWu8jeYSoI#ixzz1bnV8X9Yi

A foot-brawl team with a fighter's jaw

Last Updated: 4:57 AM, October 25, 2011

Posted: 1:21 AM, October 25, 2011

More than ever, they are The Team America Loves to Hate, and more than ever, the Jets are The Team That Loves To Be Hated.

Now that Rex Ryan has abandoned plans to be more Bill Walsh 49ers and less Rex Ryan Jets, now that there is no longer an identity crisis, the Jets once again puff out their chests, proud that they are taking on the true personality of their head coach.

"I'd say we're the outlaws in the NFL," left guard Matt Slauson told The Post. "We're the Bad Boys.

Everybody wants to come in and beat us. Everyone plays us a little bit tougher, just because I think

everybody hates us a little bit, because we do boast, we do predict wins.

"So I think everybody has a strong dislike for us."

Bring on the hate.

"It kind of forces us to have to play great," Slauson said.

Ryan looked at Mark Sanchez and saw an elite quarterback. He looked at Plaxico Burress and saw a Big Blue 17 during the Super Bowl XLII playoff run. He looked at Derrick Mason and saw a birth certificate that read 1984 instead of 1974. He looked at Gang Green and saw the 2000 Ravens and his father's '85 Bears.

Maybe, with Nick Mangold missing in Oakland and Baltimore, it wouldn't have mattered anyway. All that matters now is there is still time for the Rex Ryan Jets as we have come to know them -- and they have come to know themselves -- to win the division and host an AFC Championship Game.

Beat the Bills and Patriots immediately after the bye and never look back.

"I think maybe I got caught up in maybe being enamored with the type of personnel we had," Ryan said yesterday.

The Jets are not a machine like the Aaron Rodgers Packers are, nor are they a nuclear juggernaut like the Drew Brees Saints. No more trying to be something you are not.

Because you are not Sugar Ray Robinson, you are Jake LaMotta. You are not Muhammad Ali, you are Smokin' Joe Frazier. You are not Sugar Ray Leonard, you are Roberto Duran.

This is the Fight Club. A nasty, defiant, bar-room brawler of a team that takes sadistic delight in beating you by beating you up, 60-minute men who are more Rocky Balboa than Apollo Creed.

"We got a bunch of fighters," safety Jim Leonhard said. "When we have success, it's guys that put the ego to the side and do whatever it takes to win football games. We're not the flashy type of football team; we're a team that's going to outwork you and out-physical you and just keep comin' for 60 minutes.

"That's how we win football games. We're not necessarily the team that's going to go and throw up 45 points. For us to be successful, it's gonna be a fight every week. We're a team that's gonna be in a lot of close games, so you need to learn how to win those, and the last couple of years we have."

This by no means is the perfect team. And in a quarterback-driven league, you better have something in your arsenal aside from the Ground and Pound.

"But our formula has been to run the ball, run the ball, run the ball, get [the defense to creep] up and then you toss it over their head," Slauson said. "It's been working forever."

Shonn Greene running like a crazed Brahma bull makes Sanchez a play-action threat. The quarterback's growing rapport with Burress will make Santonio Holmes and Dustin Keller more dangerous. Ryan is by no means the perfect coach. But his insertions of skill players Jeremy Kerley and Joe McKnight, and linebackers Aaron Maybin and Josh Mauga, have added speed and quickness to the offense, defense and special teams. If the real Jets stood up against the Chargers, better late than never.

"I feel like over the first six weeks a lot of people have been doubting our team's toughness, our team's physicality, and I think we've been slowly getting back to that, and we really showed it [sunday]," Slauson said. "We have to commit to just playing nasty football, and that's the kind of football Rex likes."

Nasty football has its distinctive sights and sounds.

"You'd be hearing a lot of pads crunching, you'd be seeing Shonn explode through the line and light up a safety like he did twice [sunday]," Slauson said. "That's the kind of football we're used to here, and that's the kind of football we have to commit to every week."

So the Patriots will see a different team than the one they saw in New England?

"Absolutely," Slauson said.

steve.serby@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/jets_safely_land_back_on_run_way_ySrP8D2wSr23lA06h6nHcI#ixzz1bnVqdSH6

Jets coach channels 'Anchorman,' sends message to San Diego

By BRIAN COSTELLO

Last Updated: 8:27 AM, October 25, 2011

Posted: 1:24 AM, October 25, 2011

Will Ferrell has nothing on Rex Ryan.

After Chargers tight end Randy McMichael talked trash about the Jets following their game Sunday, Ryan responded yesterday by quoting one of Ferrell's most memorable lines from "Anchorman."

"Stay classy, San Diego," said Ryan with a smile, doing his best Ron Burgundy.

McMichael did not give the Jets credit after their 27-21 victory Sunday. He blamed the Chargers for taking their "foot off the gas" when they had an 11-point lead. He went on to rip the Jets' defensive backs.

"Their secondary isn't anything," McMichael said. "It's our fault. It had nothing to do with anyone on their team. The guys in this locker room, we lost the game."

Those comments made their way to the Jets locker room, and several of the Jets defensive backs returned fire.

"McMichael, he was chattering during the game," Darrelle Revis said. "He's just a number. He's number 81. We weren't focused on him. We were focused on Antonio Gates, who is the better tight end."

Then Revis acted as if he didn't know the tight end's name.

"Nobody is worried about McMichaels, whatever his name is," Revis said. "McMichael, whatever. I don't even know his name."

But McMichael, a 10th-year pro who also played for the Dolphins and Rams, is not backing down.

"If I say it, I mean," he told reporters in San Diego yesterday.

Antonio Cromartie, who played for the Chargers from 2006-09, ripped San Diego for blowing a 21-10 lead.

"When you're up by 11 points in the fourth quarter [Chargers actually led by 11 in the third quarter] and you can't even finish the game up, that shows what kind of team you are," Cromartie said. "A team that can't finish. That's been San Diego the whole time."

Cromartie said he thinks the Jets and Chargers could meet again in the playoffs.

"At the end of the day, we'll end up probably seeing them, that's if they can win their [division]," Cromartie said. "They have to get past the Raiders first."

Ryan began his press conference yesterday by praising the job his secondary did holding the Chargers to 172 yards passing. The Chargers entered the game averaging 293.4 through the air.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/ryan_the_anchorman_to_sore_charger_8bL2aiWdFTCpLkLtDtT37K#ixzz1bnWrVuoh

Jets getting 'great production' from Maybin

By TIM BONTEMPS

Last Updated: 8:51 AM, October 25, 2011

Posted: 1:18 AM, October 25, 2011

In a month, outside linebacker Aaron Maybin has gone from a first-round flameout to a player the Jets are counting on to consistently make plays.

"[i have seen] great production," coach Rex Ryan said yesterday as the team entered its bye week following Sunday's 27-21 win over the Chargers. "We need to get him on the field more. There have been 40-some snaps he's been out there and he's had three sacks and three caused fumbles and made a lot of tackles."

Maybin, who was the 11th overall pick by the Bills in 2009, was cut by Buffalo during training camp after failing to register a sack in either of his first two seasons as a pro. The Jets quickly snapped him up, and he wound up being one of the final cuts from their 53-man roster after registering 2½ sacks in three preseason games.

But ever since the Jets re-signed Maybin after their Week 3 loss to the Raiders, he has shown why he had so much promise coming out of Penn State. In his four games with the Jets, he has three sacks, and is tied for the NFL lead with Detroit's Kyle Vanden Bosch with three forced fumbles -- all helping him live up to his nickname, "Mayhem."

"That was a college thing," Maybin said, laughing. "I think it was my freshman or sophomore year at Penn State, and [head coach] Joe [Paterno], during a practice or meeting or something like that, he had said 'Mayhem' by mistake when I was a real young guy.

"My teammates never let me forget it, and eventually I guess it turned into a little nickname or whatever."

Maybin said while Ryan hasn't specifically told him he'd be seeing more playing time, he has been noticing the coaching staff working him into the action more and more each week.

"This whole time [Ryan has] been selective, here and there, with where he's wanted me inserted," Maybin said. "But over the past couple weeks, there's definitely been a lot looser of a grip on me as far as the packages I've been inserted into.

"

He's starting to have a little bit more faith in me to go out there and play in some of the defenses that I didn't know when I first got here. As my grasping of the playbook continues to expand, he's done a great job of inserting me in there in situations where he thinks I can have an impact."

With a trip to Buffalo next up on the schedule after the Jets' bye this week, Maybin didn't bother to hide the fact he's looking forward to getting a chance to prove to the Bills they made a mistake by giving up on him.

"Well," he said, laughing, "I'll just say that it's a really big game for this organization, For me, I definitely want to go out there and play great, and do everything that I can do to make sure that we come out of the game with a win.

"It's a game that I've been eyeing for some time."

tbontemps@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/embodying_mayhem_2c7XLegPftv3W3Q3H6cdcM#ixzz1bnXbnHXk

Jets reports card vs. Chargers

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The Record

Rushing offense: A

This was more in line with what coach Rex Ryan envisioned prior to the season, the line doing the job up front and Shonn Greene hitting the resulting holes with quickness and authority. The Jets'

total of 162 yards marked the first time they went over 100 as a team in 2011. Greene's 112 yards on 20 carries was a season high for him. QB Mark Sanchez's 25-yard scramble in the third quarter helped flip field position in the Jets' favor.

Passing offense: B

Sanchez again showed his penchant for locking onto his primary target, and that cost him on the end-zone interception by San Diego FS Eric Weddle. However, he finally established the long-awaited chemistry with WR Plaxico Burress, hitting him for three TD passes, all inside the 5-yard line. Sanchez was sacked only twice, but a holding call on C Nick Mangold nullified a pretty, diving 23-yard TD catch by WR Santonio Holmes. TE Dustin Keller needs to secure catches better after being stripped for a fumble-return score.

Rushing defense: B-plus

Mike Tolbert broke a 29-yard run to set up the Chargers' second touchdown drive, which he finished with a second-effort 1-yard plunge. After that, there was very little happening for the Chargers on the ground, as San Diego had only 29 yards rushing after that. Give credit to the injury-plagued, makeshift defensive line and to OLB Calvin Pace, in particular, for doing a good job of setting the edge and slowing down the outside runs.

Passing defense: A

CB Darrelle Revis made a huge play for the second straight week, following up his 100-yard pick six against Miami with a 64-yard interception return to set up the go-ahead touchdown. The Jets limited the talented Philip Rivers to a 51.4 passer rating, and CBs Antonio Cromartie and Kyle Wilson each had terrific games. Wilson's first career interception led to the final field goal. OLB Aaron Maybin had his third sack in three games.

Special teams: B

A solid, if unspectacular, day for this unit. No big returns for KR Joe McKnight, but the coverage teams limited San Diego's Richard Goodman to a 23.2-yard average on six KO returns. Nick Folk's field goals of 35 and 30 yards made him a perfect 10-for-10 on the season. T.J. Conley's 42-yard punt to the San Diego 6 flipped field position and led to the touchdown that cut the Jets' deficit to 21-17.

Coaching: A-plus

Coach Rex Ryan had his team prepared in a must-win situation despite a short week and the distractions stemming from his comments about the Chargers. He and his staff also did a terrific job of adjusting personnel and tactics at halftime, especially on defense. The play call on Revis' interception was an excellent one, with Revis in zone and Cromartie in man-to-man coverage. Offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer did a great job of mixing in play-action passes for Sanchez once Greene had established himself as a force in the running game.

— J.P. Pelzman

Jets' Aaron Maybin makes Rex Ryan take notice

Published: Tuesday, October 25, 2011, 4:00 AM

Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

Jets Aaron Maybin.JPGTim Farrell/The Star-LedgerJets defensive end Aaron Maybin hits San Diego Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers in Sunday's 27-21 victory.

In just four games for the Jets, Aaron Maybin has recorded three sacks and three forced fumbles.

And by coach Rex Ryan’s count, the third-year pass rusher has only been on the field for about

“40-some snaps,” a number Ryan said will rise.

“Great production,” Ryan said. “We need to get him on the field more.”

The Jets signed Maybin in August, after the former first-round pick was released by the Buffalo Bills, but he didn’t stick on the 53-man roster.

They brought him back before the Week 4 game in Baltimore, and ever since, the player known as the Bills’ bust has been making his presence known on the field.

Maybin’s playing time has begun to increase as he learns more of the team’s complicated defense.

“There has definitely been a lot looser of a grip as far as the packages I’ve been inserted into,” Maybin said. “(Ryan) is starting to have a little bit more faith in me to come out and play in some of the defenses I didn’t know when I first got here.”

Maybin said after he was released by the Bills, he and his agent chose the Jets carefully.

He didn’t go so far as to blame Buffalo for not utilizing his talents, acknowledging that maybe he didn’t do enough to prove he should be on the field.

But he said the Jets staff has enough confidence in him to at least give him opportunities to make plays.

“The biggest factor for me (was) I’m not going to go someplace where basically I’m putting myself back into the same situation I was before,” he said, adding later: “The (Bills) coaching staff never really felt as though I was their guy, I guess, pass-rush guy. But here it’s been different, and the results are what they are.”

The Jets play at Buffalo after this week’s bye, a game Maybin said he has been “eyeing for some time.”

For more Jets coverage, follow Jenny Vrentas on Twitter at twitter.com/Jennyvrentas

Jenny Vrentas: jvrentas@starledger.com

NY Jets back in the AFC playoff picture, but they're hardly Super Bowl contenders again

Gary Myers

Tuesday, October 25th 2011, 4:00 AM

It's not time to order those New York Jets Super Bowl rings just yet, Kyle Wilson.

It's not time to order those New York Jets Super Bowl rings just yet, Kyle Wilson.The Jets have congratulated themselves so much the last two days that they have virtually fast-forwarded back into the AFC Championship Game.

Can we slow down a bit and add some perspective, please?

The Jets stayed relevant heading into their bye week and the second half of the season by beating a poorly coached Chargers team, whose victories have come against the lowly Vikings, Chiefs,

Dolphins and Broncos. But to say that the swagger is back and the Jets are headed to the playoffs is a huge leap of faith for a team that has struggled to find its identity through the first two months of the season.

All the Jets have done is hold serve at 4-3 and been unable to win on the road (0-3). This is a team we picked to get to the Super Bowl, but now needs quite a run to make that prediction come true.

The Jets will reveal a lot more about who they are as a team in their first two games after the bye. At Buffalo (4-2), then New England (5-1) at home.

If the Jets are going to catch the Patriots and win the AFC East - and avoid having to take the long road to the Super Bowl with no home games - they must win these next two games.

If they can't find a way to win the division, there is no guarantee that they can get in as a wild-card: if the season ended today, they would lose the tiebreaker to the Ravens and Raiders.

"We'll make our run," Rex Ryan said Monday. "We're 4-3. We're behind where I thought we'd be, but we still have a lot of football in front of us and we're playing teams that we have to beat."

Now the Jets go into what could be the two biggest games of the season with a chance to use the bye week to get healthy and give their coaches a little more time to prepare. Ryan said the coaches won't use any of the next two weeks to work ahead on the Pats, but added, "I always look at New England."

Beating the Chargers, especially coming back from an 11-point halftime deficit, will be looked at in two months as either the moment that jumpstarted the Jets season or just a nice victory in an underachieving season.

"If we play like that, we are going to be tough to beat," Ryan said.

Two of the four Jets victories came against teams whose quarterbacks were Luke McCown (Jaguars) and Matt Moore (Dolphins), neither of whom has any business starting in the NFL. The victories over the Cowboys and Chargers were quality wins over good, but not elite teams. They forced two fourth-quarter turnovers by Tony Romo and two fourth-quarter turnovers by Philip Rivers, quarterbacks who have a history of failing in big games.

If the season ended right now, the Patriots would win the AFC East and the Jets would be fifth in the wild-card standings behind the Steelers, Bengals, Bills and Raiders. But with nine games remaining, things will change almost week to week. If the Jets are who they think they are, they will be playing deep into January again.

The defense is not as good as Ryan believes, but it's better than it has played for most of the first two months. The bigger concern is the offense. Ryan and coordinator Brian Schottenheimer changed the approach the first five games. Instead of Ground and Pound, the Jets became Air Sanchez and that just wasn't flying. Sanchez and the offensive line couldn't handle it. They went back to the running game against the Patriots, who have the worst pass defense in the league, but that strategy has worked the past two weeks.

Sanchez and Plaxico Burress established chemistry in the red zone against the Chargers with three TDs totaling 10 yards. Burress finished with four catches for just 25 yards. Clearly, he's a major red-zone threat, but the Jets need to get more out of him in the other 80 yards of the field. His longest catch this season has been the 26-yard TD he caught in the opener against Dallas. He conceded yesterday that he's still getting his legs back.

And has anybody seen Santonio Holmes? He has 22 catches for just 311 yards and three TDs. In his first seven games last year - he sat out the first four serving a suspension - he had 32 catches for 491 yards and three scores.

Is this all the Jets get for their $95 million combination of Sanchez-to-Holmes? The biggest impact Holmes has made this season has been ticking off Sanchez and Brandon Moore with his analysis of the quarterback and offensive line.

Between them, Holmes and Burress have 40 catches for 554 yards and eight TDs. In one fewer game, Wes Welker has 51 catches for 785 yards and six TDs.

Ryan promised yesterday that he won't be mentioning Super Bowl rings anymore because it always gets him in trouble. Unless the Jets get on a run after their bye, it won't be necessary.

gmyers@nydailynews.com

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2011/10/25/2011-10-25_ny_jets_crawl_back_into_the_afc_playoff_picture_but_theyre_hardly_super_bowl_con.html#ixzz1bnZiQAJx

Rex Ryan, Brian Schottenheimer go back to ground game, Shonn Greene leads the way

BY Kevin Armstrong

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Rex Ryan's decision to return to the Jets' Ground-and-Pound roots has paid dividends in the past few weeks. After Mark Sanchez aired it out for the first month with mixed results, Ryan decided to lean more on the run game to help his team snap out of their early-season funk.

"I just thought that we weren't being ourselves," said Ryan, who talked to offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer about the philosophical change after the loss to the Ravens in Week 4. "As much as we wanted to use and expand our weapons, I just don't think that was the best thing for our football team."

Shonn Greene, who was a nonfactor for the better part of the first month, ignited a rushing attack that gained a season-high 162 yards in the win over the Chargers on Sunday. Greene has had at least 20 carries in the each of the past three games.

"We just wanted to get back to really playing New York Jets-style of football," Ryan said. "Let's get back to doing it. I think maybe I got caught up in maybe being enamored with the type of personnel we had. At the end of the day, we went back to who we were."

"We needed to get the ball into Shonn's hands," Ryan added. "Now you're seeing the guy that can move those sticks."

GOOD BYE

DL Mike DeVito (sprained knee) wouldn't be able to play Sunday if the Jets had a game, Ryan said, but the coach expects he'll be ready for the game against the Bills after the bye. DL Kenrick Ellis and LB David Harris have ankle sprains and are expected to be ready for Buffalo.

FAMILIAR RING

Ryan promises never to use the word "rings" again after getting into hot water last week when asked how he would have done if the Chargers had hired him four years ago. He also famously told everyone that he wasn't going to kiss Bill Belichick's rings a couple years ago. Ryan did say he'll still use "Super Bowl" and "Lombardi Trophy" in the future. The Jets also cut WR Michael Campbell from the practice squad.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2011/10/25/2011-10-25_rex_ryan_brian_schottenheimer_go_back_to_ground_game_shonn_greene_leads_the_way.html#ixzz1bnaZHL91

NY Jets' Darrelle Revis is getting plenty of attention as leader of Gang Green defensive backfield

BY Kevin Armstrong

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis arrived inside the locker room Monday dressed in a gray T-shirt adorned with white name tags, fresh off an appearance for an in-house Halloween celebration. He wore a knitted multi-color Rastafarian hat flowing with fake, flowing dreadlocks, the same disguise he used during his 35-day holdout in August 2010.

"I’m celebrating early," Revis said.

Identifying Revis has been difficult of late. On Sunday against the Chargers, the Jets showed Sam Diego quarterback Philip Rivers a man-to-man look that morphed into a loaded zone in the fourth quarter. Rivers rifled a pass intended for wideout Vincent Jackson, but the leather deflected off his hands and ricocheted to Revis, standing five yards off the ball. In part, it was the confusion of the kaleidoscope scheme that allowed Revis to run it back 64 yards.

"We want to be a dominant defense and we're on our way," Rex Ryan said.

Jets coaches will evaluate game tape during this week’s bye, reviewing packages and attempting to recognize any tells that tip teams off to their looks. They will also prepare for two of the league’s most intelligent quarterbacks in Buffalo’s Ryan Fitzpatrick, the Harvard-educated starter, and New England’s Tom Brady, the game’s best passer.

"Most quarterbacks in this league, especially the ones we’ve got coming up, are going to hurt you eventually if they know what they’re looking at," safety Jim Leonhard said. "We’ll be ready."

At least one Charger maintained that the Jets' secondary played a minimal role in the 27-21 victory.

Tight end Randy McMichael, No. 2 on the team’s depth chart, insisted the Jets’ defensive backfield "isn’t anything special."

In response, Ryan quoted comedian Will Ferrell’s character Ron Burgundy from the film "Anchorman," saying, "Stay classy, San Diego."

Revis, for his part, could not even identify the talkative tight end.

"He’s just a number, I don’t even know his name," Revis said. "We focused on Antonio Gates because he's a better tight end."

The Jets ostensibly shored up most concerns on defense Sunday. Enigmatic cornerback Antonio Cromartie, the subject of lament during the week due to his up-and-down performances, played physically and engaged wideouts with his hands at the line of scrimmage. Revis resumed his role as the unit’s most indispensable instrument. Even Kyle Wilson, steadily improving in his second season, notched his first career pick.

"You get the takeaways, you get the pressure on the quarterback and you do a good job stopping the run," Ryan said. "That’s what we expect from our defense."

What the team failed to generate regarding pass rush in previous seasons, outside linebacker Aaron Maybin, once a bust with the Buffalo Bills, has three sacks and continues to live up to his vanity license plates that simply refer to him as "MAYHEM."

"We need to get him on the field more," Ryan said.

Revis remains the defense’s most dynamic threat, retrieving balls thrown astray and returning them long distances. Sprinting down the open field is a welcome sight, but the role of full-time running back is one look he refuses to embrace.

"I do not want to play running back," he said. "I'll just stick to my day job."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2011/10/25/2011-10-25_ny_jets_darrelle_revis_is_getting_plenty_of_attention_as_leader_of_gang_green_de.html#ixzz1bnbCxCjj

Campbell Released from Practice Squad

By Jets Media Relations Department

Posted 1 hour ago

The New York Jets have released wide receiver Michael Campbell from the practice squad. The announcement was made by general manager Mike Tannenbaum.

Campbell (6'2", 205) was re-signed to the practice squad Oct. 12 following his release from the practice squad a week earlier. He initially signed with the Jets as an undrafted free agent July 27 and spent the preseason with the club, registering two receptions. Campbell played in 43 career games (19 starts) at Temple, totaling 1,253 yards and 83 receptions. As a senior, he led the Owls with 724 yards on 45 receptions.

Santonio Holmes still unhappy with his role

Posted by Mike Florio on October 25, 2011, 8:35 AM EDT

So Plaxico Burress has his first of many three-touchdown games, Shonn Greene is starting to run once again like the guy whom Antonio Cromartie was afraid to try to tackle in January 2010, Rex Ryan has rediscovered his big-talking tendencies, and everything is right with the Jets, correct?

Not correct.

Winning the last two games has applied a film of waxy deodorant to a team that has a long way to go to fulfill its annual boast of winning a Super Bowl. The biggest problem, in our assessment and as we understand it, is that receiver Santonio Holmes remains thoroughly dissatisfied with his role in the offense.

The man who received a big-money contract to remain with the team caught only two passes for 24 yards, bringing his seven-game total to a measly 311 yards on 24 receptions, with three touchdowns. He was grumbling privately about his role before reports emerged of Holmes, Burress, and exiled receiver Derrick Mason complaining to Ryan about offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer. Holmes also has complained publicly — twice — about the offensive line.

The question now is whether Holmes will pop off again in the wake of Sunday’s game. There’s a good chance he won’t; he’d come off as short-sighted given that the Jets won on Sunday, and as petty in light of Plaxico’s three-touchdown day.

But Holmes isn’t happy, and Holmes hasn’t been happy. Finding a way to make him happy could be the biggest challenge this team currently faces.

So Plaxico Burress has his first of many three-touchdown games, Shonn Greene is starting to run once again like the guy whom Antonio Cromartie was afraid to try to tackle in January 2010, Rex Ryan has rediscovered his big-talking tendencies, and everything is right with the Jets, correct?

Not correct.

Winning the last two games has applied a film of waxy deodorant to a team that has a long way to go to fulfill its annual boast of winning a Super Bowl. The biggest problem, in our assessment and as we understand it, is that receiver Santonio Holmes remains thoroughly dissatisfied with his role in the offense.

The man who received a big-money contract to remain with the team caught only two passes for 24 yards, bringing his seven-game total to a measly 311 yards on 24 receptions, with three touchdowns. He was grumbling privately about his role before reports emerged of Holmes, Burress, and exiled receiver Derrick Mason complaining to Ryan about offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer. Holmes also has complained publicly — twice — about the offensive line.

The question now is whether Holmes will pop off again in the wake of Sunday’s game. There’s a good chance he won’t; he’d come off as short-sighted given that the Jets won on Sunday, and as petty in light of Plaxico’s three-touchdown day.

But Holmes isn’t happy, and Holmes hasn’t been happy. Finding a way to make him happy could be the biggest challenge this team currently faces.

I can't decide who the biggest a$$ is. Holmes or Florio

Plaxico Burress: Gun Gave Me ‘False Sense Of Security’

October 25, 2011 9:50 AM

NEW YORK (WFAN/AP) – The Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence initially pressed for Plaxico Burress to go to prison on a weapon possession charge after he accidentally shot himself in the leg in 2008.

On Monday night, the Jets wide receiver spoke at the organization’s annual fundraiser in Manhattan. The Brady Center also honored Colin Goddard, a survivor who was shot four times at Virginia Tech.

Burress said that as his life as an NFL star was unraveling, he thought: “Let what happened to me serve a higher purpose.”

He later contacted the Brady Center, which was thrilled to welcome him as an ally in trying to teach about the stark consequences of carrying guns.

“If I can save one life, keep one kid from having a firearm, then I think the higher purpose was served,” Burress told the audience, which gave him a hearty ovation at the end of his speech.

A Super Bowl star with the Giants, Burress spent nearly two years in prison. He signed with the Jets after getting out over the summer and had a breakout game Sunday, tying a career high with three touchdown catches in a 27-21 win over the San Diego Chargers.

At a news conference before his speech, Burress said that when he contemplated what he would have done if he ever found himself needing to use that gun, he realized how foolish it was to carry one.

“When I look back at it, I say if I was to get into a situation where I had to use my firearm, would I actually pull it and use it — return fire, or shoot? Just the thought of that, it just gives you goose bumps to think about it,” said Burress. “It was a false sense of security because I couldn’t see myself actually pulling the trigger.”

(

TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Morning take: Dolphins and Bill Cowher

October, 25, 2011

Oct 25

7:00

AM ET

By James Walker

Here are the most interesting stories Tuesday morning in the AFC East:

Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald reports Bill Cowher is keeping an eye on the Dolphins.

Morning take: This would be the perfect target for Miami owner Stephen Ross. But a top-shelf coach like Cowher could have several options. Would Cowher choose Miami over a team with less rebuilding?

Danny Picard of Comcast Sports New England writes the Patriots still have a lot of respect for Pittsburgh Steelers safety Troy Polamalu.

Morning take: When healthy, Polamalu remains one of the most dynamic players in the NFL. The Tom Brady-Polamalu chess match will be fun to watch.

Jay Skurski of the Buffalo News reports Bills quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick did not speak to the media on Monday.

Morning take: I don't see any reason to be concerned. This probably is a sign a contract extension is coming, as ESPN's Chris Mortensen recently reported.

Rich Cimini of ESPNNewYork.com writes about Jets head coach Rex Ryan admitting to throwing too much early.

Morning take: With an extended lockout, new receivers and a young quarterback, I'm not sure why the Jets decided to throw 40 times a game. That was a flawed plan from the start. But at least the Jets went back to what they do best.

Rex Ryan, Jets Fly Into Bye Week With Trademark Bravado

October 25, 2011 9:43 AMNEW YORK (WFAN/AP) – Stay loud and proud, New York.

That’s what Rex Ryan plans to do at least.

Ah, yes. Happy days are here again. Just like that, the Jets (4-3) have gone from gloom and doom

to fun-loving again.

Two wins in a week can do that sometimes, and Ryan’s team is feeling loose and confident as it heads into the bye-week break on a two-game winning streak. First was a 24-6 win over Miami last

Monday night, and then a 27-21 comeback victory over San Diego on Sunday.

“The way we’re playing, the style of football that has been successful for us, we’re getting back to that,” safety Jim Leonhard said. “This is how we win. This is our blueprint.”

All of that talk about the season possibly spiraling out of control for the Jets has been replaced by the spunk and swagger that appeared to be missing just a few weeks ago. And, as usual, it all starts with Ryan.

The mouthy coach took an inadvertent swipe at Chargers coach Norv Turner last week, and later apologized. But it was enough to create a coast-to-coast stir. Then, Ryan defended his secondary on Monday after San Diego tight end Randy McMichael said the Jets’ defensive backs aren’t “anything” and that the Chargers beat themselves – and had nothing to do with New York’s play.

“It’s our fault,” said McMichael. “It had nothing to do with anyone on their team. The guys in this locker room, we lost the game.”

“Stay classy, San Diego,” a smiling Ryan said, stealing a line made famous by Will Ferrell’s character, Ron Burgundy, in the movie “Anchorman.”

“If I say it, I mean it. I’ll leave it at that,” McMichael reiterated yesterday.

Jets players weren’t as low-key in their responses to McMichael’s comments, but were equally amusing.

“When you’re up by 11 points in the fourth quarter and you can’t even finish the game up, that shows what kind of team you are: a team that can’t finish,” said cornerback Antonio Cromartie, a former Charger. “And that’s been San Diego the whole time.”

Added Leonhard: “He’ll have fun watching the tape today.”

The Chargers blew an 11-point third-quarter lead, helped by 13 penalties and the Jets’ defense holding them to 1 for 7 on third downs in the second half. As for McMichael, he finished with three catches for 45 yards.

“Nobody was worried about McMichaels,” cornerback Darrelle Revis said. “Whatever his name is. McMichaels, McMichael. I don’t know his name.”

Yep, this is once again the team the rest of the NFL has loved to hate the last two years, when the Jets rubbed people the wrong way all the way to two consecutive AFC championship games.

“If we play like that,” Ryan said of the win over the Chargers, “we’re going to be tough to beat.”

And even tougher to quiet. Ryan is known for making bold statements and outrageous proclamations, and projecting a confident and cocky attitude that the team gravitates around.

“I know there’s a coach that was saying (the players) don’t believe what I say,” Ryan said without identifying the coach. “Really? Oh, OK. I wonder who you talked to. No one in this locker room. It might not be the truth, but I tell them what I believe to be the truth. There’s a difference. But, I’m telling you what I think is a fact.

“Sometimes, it doesn’t always work out that way.”

Such as those Super Bowl guarantees Ryan has made before each of the last few seasons. In fact, Turner got back at Ryan for his swipe by issuing a playful jab of his own, asking if the Jets coach had the rings he would’ve won if he were the Chargers coach with the ones he has promised in New York.

“I will no longer say the word `rings’ anymore, because of the `kiss Belichick’s rings’ stuff and the rings here with San Diego,” Ryan said jokingly. “I’m not going to use that word anymore. No more of those things. I get crushed every time I say it.”

What about using “Lombardi Trophy” next time you promise a parade?

“That’s a possibility,” Ryan said, smiling.

How about the term, “Super Bowl?” Is that still in the official Rex lexicon?

“I can use that one, yes,” he said. “But it’s just not `rings.’”

The Jets aren’t blindly optimistic, though. They recognize they have plenty of work to do to get back into the conversation as serious playoff contenders, but the win over the Chargers offered a glance at what they might be able to accomplish. When San Diego took a 21-10 lead in the first half, it appeared the Chargers were on their way to a blowout.

But the Jets’ defense took advantage of mistakes and the offense started humming, with Mark Sanchez finishing with three touchdown passes to Plaxico Burress. It was perhaps the best half of football the team has played all season – and now comes a break before the Jets embark on their playoff push.

“We ended on a good note and that’s where we want to pick up,” Cromartie said. “When we get back, guys are going to be ready because our next two games are very important division games.

We’re playing against Buffalo and then come back again and play New England. We just have to make sure our mindsets are correct when we come back in, everyone is fresh and everyone is coming back healthy. That’s all we’re worried about.”

Oh, but then there’s the fact the Jets are 0-2 in games immediately after the break under Ryan.

“We’ll do it business as usual,” said Ryan, who gave the players off until Sunday. “The only difference is we’re going to win coming out of the bye this year.”

Green Lantern: Everyone In Jets Nation Needs To Relax Just A Little Bit

As If On Cue, The Bravado Returns, But One Half Doesn't Make A Season

October 25, 2011 10:37 AMBy Jeff Capellini, CBSNewYork/WFAN.com

NEW YORK (WFAN) — Oh Lord, here we go again.

This was inevitable. It really was. The blinders are back on and the good ship Rex has regained its earlier altitude.

Depending on whichever section of the cabin you sit, the Jets are either back on a collision course with destiny or infamy. The next 10 weeks are going to be as crazy as the previous seven, provided this past Sunday wasn’t an aberration. I don’t know about you, but I’m still a bit skeptical about what’s to come.

In 30 frantic minutes on Sunday the Jets managed, at least in their own eyes, to put the vast majority of their troubles aside. Their Super Bowl-caliber second half against the Chargers brought thousands of fans in from the ledge.

But you’d think more than just a handful would continue to at least dangle a toe out there.

Nope. An overwhelming percentage of the Nation thinks this team is back, and as usual it is taking its cues from the players and coaches, who have basked in the glory since beating up a perennial underachiever. Indianapolis, the host of this season’s Super Bowl, is now no longer in the rearview, they all say. The GPS is locked and only an earthquake will prevent this team from making good on its repeated boasts.

Why am I cringing right now?

While I’m not about to totally rain on the parade that’s broken out since Sunday’s 27-21 win over San Diego, a team which most everyone going in picked to win, I’m not sold on anything. My uneasiness remains intact.

And if you ask anyone, that’s really not my style. I try to keep it positive by focusing on the belief in the roster, coaching staff and front office, because, after all, there’s no question on paper the Jets are right there with anyone in the AFC.

I just haven’t seen anywhere near enough to warrant my participating in the type of Mardi Gras that’s enveloped the fan base over the last few days. The Jets have played, by my estimation, one exceptional half of football this season. In a “what have you done for me lately?” world, sure, the Jets have done a course correction, but have they really righted all their wrongs? Are they now truly worthy of that higher calling they so desperately want to believe is their birthright?

Again, I ain’t seen nothing yet.

The positives on Sunday were many. The Jets sliced and diced the Bolts for 162 yards on the ground, averaging 5.2 yards per serving. Plaxico Burress emerged from semi-seclusion to catch three touchdowns. The defense adhered to halftime adjustments in posting a shutout in the second half. Darrelle Revis took another step toward winning his first NFL Defensive Player of the Year award. I could go on, but you were there. You saw.

The Jets finally got fed up with themselves and put forth the type of effort we’ve been clamoring for since the second half of last season’s AFC Championship game.

But it was nowhere near enough to justify the sudden re-emergence of this kick-a$$-and-take-names bravado that’s permeated the fans and players since the clock ran out on Sunday.

I guess I should know better than to single out Antonio Cromartie when it comes to trash talking, but he said something following Sunday’s game that was at least a little amusing. He referred to the Chargers as “a team that can’t finish.” My first inclination was to say the Jets have barely been able to get started at times this season, but I ultimately took it as Antonio being Antonio because he later paid homage to the Jets’ next two opponents, Buffalo and New England. He also broke from character and showed some leadership, reiterating the need for his own teammates to bottle whatever it was they were drinking in the second half on Sunday and bring it with them from now on.

But you just know for every ounce of respect given to an opponent the rest of the way there will also be gallons of the same old same old. You can basically mark it down. Rex will say something absurd and it will be a thing for a few days. Then someone will go on a radio show and things will get out of hand. Or someone will call someone else out and later refuse to back down. The fact that something will happen is written in stone. Who, how and when? Well, that’s why we do office pools.

Hell, I’m just waiting for a coach to trip someone again or for a mysterious video to appear on YouTube.

In all seriousness, be happy the Jets saved their season Sunday. Be thrilled they have entered their bye week 4-3 and right in the thick of the AFC playoff hunt. Be happy no one of importance is out for the season. Be excited that the running game is starting to really click and that the defense seems to finally have a clue again.

But also be aware of the fact that this team has yet to win a game on the road this season — and that’s exactly where the Jets will be their next two games. I’d bet my paycheck the Bills hang 30-40 points on the Redskins this weekend. That’s a scary offensive football team, especially in their own building. Past history suggests the Steelers have absolutely no chance Sunday night against the Patriots, even though the game is at Heinz.

So the Jets could very well be looking at a scenario where they are one game back of the Bills when they travel to Western New York on Nov. 6 and possibly two or more behind when they welcome in the Patriots the following Sunday night. Buffalo is currently unbeaten in the division. New England has just one loss. In the ultra-competitive AFC, the Jets’ season for all intents and purposes could be over by the time the clock hits midnight on Nov. 14.

But that said, the Jets have shown warning signs that the nuisance on the field is making a cameo.

They have transitioned from a team flirting with an “Air Coryell” persona back to their bread and butter. Mark Sanchez may very well be a better quarterback now than he was last season, but I’d be shocked if you see him truly show it. Not because he can’t, but because Rex and his staff finally woke up and opted to go back to this team’s strength. Shonn Greene is the key to this offense and he’s getting his act in gear. A year wiser Sanchez is actually better suited to be Plan B and his numbers by the end of the season will prove that. The kid will put up career highs in every important statistical category, but he’ll do it in the role best suited to fit this cast — as a glorified understudy.

All that said, there’s plenty to like here, but you have to keep your enthusiasm within reason.

Despite the Rex Magic 8 Ball giving some encouraging answers, the bottom line is the Jets have played a single signature half, not yet a full 60 minutes this season.

Do I think they are at least on their way to something special? I need to see more. Believe me when I tell you that you need to see more, too.

Sanchez-Fitz-Moore Watch

October, 25, 2011

Oct 25

11:00

AM ET

By James Walker

We continue our "Sanchez-Fitz-Moore Watch," as two of the three quarterbacks were in action.

Here is how we grade their performances in Week 7:

Mark Sanchez, New York Jets

Result: W, 27-21 against Chargers

Stats: 18-of-33, 173 yards, three TDs, one INT

QBR: 71.2

Analysis: New York is back to its ground-and-pound offense. As a result, Sanchez is looking better the past two weeks. Sanchez threw a season-high three touchdowns -- all to receiver Plaxico Burress -- and engineered a second-half comeback from 11 points down against the Chargers. Sanchez, at this stage of his career, is not a quarterback who can throw 40 times a game and consistently be successful. There's nothing wrong with that, as long as New York's defense and running game makes up for it.

Walker's grade: B+

Matt Moore, Miami Dolphins

Result: L, 18-15 against Broncos

Stats: 22-of-33, 197, one TD

QBR: 20.9

Analysis: In my opinion, Moore played a little better than his QBR suggests. Moore moved the offense most of the game and even got Miami a red-zone touchdown -- finally -- in the second quarter. He wasn't terrible, but he failed to come through in the clutch. Moore's late fumble in overtime hurt his QBR and set up Denver's game-winning kick.

Walker’s grade: C+

This week’s winner: Sanchez (three points)

Second place: Moore (two points)

Overall standings (second quarter)

First: Sanchez (nine points)

Second: Ryan Fitzpatrick (six points)

Third: Moore (three points)

Sanchez has taken the lead in the second-quarter standings, which will wrap up soon. We will have more on the "Sanchez-Fitz-Moore Watch" next week.

Buzz: Is Holmes Unhappy? Probably.

by Bassett on October 25th, 2011 at 10:22 am

Even though the Jets have won the last two games Mike Florio over at ProFootballTalk is reporting that

Santonio Holmes is still unhappy with his role in the Jets offense.

"The biggest problem, in our assessment and as we understand it, is that receiver Santonio Holmes remains thoroughly dissatisfied with his role in the offense."

Jeez. Like him or not, I don’t have reason to doubt that Florio is wrong on this. All the evidence of what

Holmes has been like this year seems to point to this being true. I know receivers want the ball on every play, but it’s not realistic.

Sanchez seems to distribute the ball by gameplan / matchup at this point in his career maybe more than he will in time … but for now … if Holmes wants consistent stats, then maybe he should have thought about that before re-signing in New York. The truth of the matter is, even though Plax had a big day Sunday, Holmes probably got open more easily when Braylon was on the Jets because teams would have to double him more than they would with Plax. Holmes would have had a touchdown Sunday had Mangold not been called for a hold … I’m sure they’ll settle into some sort of rhythm eventually, I just hope that Holmes can keep his mouth shut until that time.

Not correct.

This is what happens when you give a crystal ball to a mind reader!

Morning take: Dolphins and Bill Cowher

October, 25, 2011

Oct 25

7:00

AM ET

By James Walker

Here are the most interesting stories Tuesday morning in the AFC East:

Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald reports Bill Cowher is keeping an eye on the Dolphins.

Morning take: This would be the perfect target for Miami owner Stephen Ross. But a top-shelf coach like Cowher could have several options. Would Cowher choose Miami over a team with less rebuilding?

Danny Picard of Comcast Sports New England writes the Patriots still have a lot of respect for Pittsburgh Steelers safety Troy Polamalu.

Morning take: When healthy, Polamalu remains one of the most dynamic players in the NFL. The Tom Brady-Polamalu chess match will be fun to watch.

Jay Skurski of the Buffalo News reports Bills quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick did not speak to the media on Monday.

Morning take: I don't see any reason to be concerned. This probably is a sign a contract extension is coming, as ESPN's Chris Mortensen recently reported.

Rich Cimini of ESPNNewYork.com writes about Jets head coach Rex Ryan admitting to throwing too much early.

Morning take: With an extended lockout, new receivers and a young quarterback, I'm not sure why the Jets decided to throw 40 times a game. That was a flawed plan from the start. But at least the Jets went back to what they do best.

Guys like Gruden, Cowher might never go back to coaching.

I am sure they make decent money sitting in a studio, having very short work week and not have the constant pressure that comes with a HC job and having the time to spend with their significant others.

Source: Jets working out former Bills tight end Shawn Nelson

BY Manish Mehta

The Daily News has learned that the Jets are working out former Bills tight end Shawn Nelson today.

The 6-5, 273-pound Nelson played two seasons in Buffalo before he was released. Nelson, who was the Bills' fourth-round pick in 2009, had 20 receptions for 181 yards and a touchdown in 17 career games with the Bills.

Nelson was suspended for the first four games of the 2010 season for violating the league's substance abuse policy. He started 12 games in 2009 and one in 2010.

For more Jets news, follow Manish Mehta on Twitter at http://twitter.com/TheJetsStream

Plax's Small Ball Gives Big Boost to Offense

By Randy Lange

Posted 2 hours ago

Plaxico Burress, rightly or wrongly, is one of those wideouts who is all things to a lot of people. So if one thing isn't working that well, such as the Plax long ball, those people want to know what's wrong.

Meanwhile, there is the Plaxico short game. There was nothing at all wrong with that on Sunday against CB Antoine Cason and the Chargers.

"My day was yesterday," Burress said in the Jets locker room Monday before he departed for Disney World for the rest of this week with his kids. "And it'll open up some things in the future in the red zone for everybody else."

"A couple of those plays," coordinator Brian Schottenheimer said Monday night at the "Inside the Jets" radio show, "were just that 'me-to-you' factor that we talk about all the time. 'Hey, I'm going to you, Plax, because I know you're going to make a play,' where Mark puts it in a good spot and Plax makes a great play."

Burress' day in the red zone was great in another way, since it was like almost no other receiver's day in NFL annals. His touchdown catches of 3, 4 and 3 yards from Mark Sanchez in the Jets' 27-21 come-from-behind triumph marked only the second time since the 1970 merger that any receiver has had at least three TD catches of under 5 yards in one game, and it was only the sixth time since '70 that a receiver has had three scoring grabs of under 10 yards. Here is the list of those half-dozen handy men (CAPS indicate home team):

Date Receiver Passer(s) Yards Score

9.30.73 TE Billy Joe Dupree Roger Staubach 8,8,1 DAL 45, stl 10

10.03.76 WR Bob Chandler Joe Ferguson 1,5,7 BUF 50, kc 17

11.22.81 TE Kellen Winslow DFouts (2), CMuncie (1) 4,5,3 sd 55, OAK 21

10.20.96 WR Ed McCaffrey John Elway 4,8,6 DEN 45, bal 34

12.18.06 WR Marvin Harrison Peyton Manning 4,3,1 IND 34, cin 16

10.23.11 WR Plaxico Burress Mark Sanchez 3,4,3 NYJ 27, sd 21

Put another way, Burress' 25 receiving yards (on four catches) are the second-fewest yards by a three-TD receiver in a game in league history.

These are neat distinctions for the 6'5", 232-pound wideout with the condor's wingspan. But more important for the second half of the Green & White season is what this performance means for everyone's confidence.

"It was just a breakout game for him," Schottenheimer said. "He actually had his best week of practice last week. It was great to see, so I think it's coming. I know this'll do nothing but help him feel more and more comfortable with the system, with the offense and with Mark."

"He wants to contribute, and this isn’t the end for him," Sanchez said after the game. "It can still get better for both of us. There are some throws that I missed to him and that stuff we’ll rep out in practice. It showed from Friday’s practice. We had a great day on Friday. It was almost perfect. The ball, I think, hit the ground one time."

The other reinforcement that the Burress three-peat provided was in the Jets' red zone game. They now have scored 13 touchdowns in 21 trips inside the opponents' 20, a 61.9 percent success rate that is sixth-best in the NFL and, if it holds up for the rest of the year, will be the Jets' best red zone TD mark since the 1986 team converted at a 62.2 percent rate.

Now if the downfield game, the passes thrown by Sanchez between the 20s, comes around, look out.

"The thing about Plax is he's not singled very often," Schottenheimer said. "People know where he is, they know he's going to be sitting over there, usually as the X receiver, so a lot of times he's drawing coverage to him and we can work other things."

"That’s why I come to work and work hard, to go out and play at a high level," said Burress. "You know that those times will come, but you just have to be patient."

Patience paid off with a Tri-Plex-a on Sunday. The yardage was low, the excitement high, and the promise of more to come in the second half is great.

Vote for Plax's "Moment"

Burress' three TD receptions have earned him a nomination for the NFL's Never Say Never Moment of the Week. He's in the running with the late rally staged by Tim Tebow in Denver's OT win over Miami and Mike Wallace's 95-yard catch-and-run from Ben Roethlisberger in Pittsburgh's victory over Arizona.

AFC East Stock Watch

October, 25, 2011

Oct 25

1:00

PM ET

By James Walker

FALLING

1. Miami Dolphins' poise: The Dolphins (0-6) are setting records for being inept. They are the first team to blow a 15-point lead in the final three minutes since the NFL-AFL merger, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. Once Denver Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow got hot, Miami completely unraveled on offense, defense and special teams. The Dolphins' defense allowed two late touchdown drives to Tebow, the special teams failed to recover an onside kick, and Miami quarterback Matt Moore's sack and fumble led to Denver's game-winning field goal. It was a teamwide collapse.

2. Tony Sparano, Miami head coach: The Dolphins' coach is one of the AFC East leaders in the "falling" category this season. He dropped his ninth straight game as head coach. The Dolphins also are an astounding 1-12 in Sparano's last 13 home games. It's just a matter of time before Miami makes a coaching change. It could happen next week or at the end of the season. But Miami can't continue down this path beyond the 2011 season.

3. New York Jets in the first half: This may sound like nitpicking -- New York eventually came back to beat the Chargers -- but the Jets have started slow for the past month. New York trailed at halftime in three of its past four games. The Jets led at halftime only against the winless Dolphins, 14-6, in that span. New York overcame a 21-10 deficit last week against the Chargers. The Jets are 4-3 and cannot continue to rely on second-half rallies if they want to make the playoffs.

RISING

1. Shonn Greene, Jets tailback: The AFC East blog has been critical of Greene's lack of production all season. So it's fair to give Greene credit when he has a great game. Green rushed for a season-high 112 yards on 20 carries. He ran strong between the tackles against the Chargers and averaged 5.6 yards per carry. The Jets can win a lot of games if Greene runs this way more consistently. This is the first 100-yard game for Greene in 2011.

2. Plaxico Burress, Jets receiver: Burress had the most impressive four-catch, 25-yard performance a receiver can have. Burress was unstoppable in the red zone against San Diego. He scored all three of New York's touchdowns to lead the Jets to a 27-21 win. The Jets invested $3 million into Burress for games like this. He's a big body who can make quarterback Mark Sanchez's job a lot easier when the offense is clicking.

3. Rest for Patriots and Bills: The Buffalo Bills and New England Patriots should benefit from the bye week. Both teams had injuries and gave key players two weeks to heal. For the Patriots, Pro Bowl linebacker Jerod Mayo is improving and has a chance to return against the Pittsburgh Steelers. Buffalo is expected to get back starting linebacker Chris Kelsay. Linebacker Shawne Merriman (Achilles) also said last week he expects to play against Washington, but nothing has been made official by the Bills.

Power Rankings: AFC East doing well

October, 25, 2011

Oct 25

2:00

PM ET

By James Walker

The AFC East is doing better this week in ESPN.com's Power Rankings. Two teams moved up several places and the New England Patriots continue to hold the top spot in the AFC.

Here is how things look this week:

New England Patriots (5-1)

Power ranking: No. 2 (same)

Walker's vote: No. 2 (same)

Analysis: The Patriots remain in their usual spot at No. 2. They still trail the defending Super Bowl champion Green Bay Packers, who are roaring with a 7-0 start. New England has its toughest game of the season to date this weekend. The Patriots will play on the road against the Steelers at Heinz Field. It will be a good measuring stick for both teams.

Buffalo Bills (4-2)

Power ranking: No. 7 (up three spots)

Walker's vote: No. 9 (up one spot)

Analysis: Here's the beauty of the bye week: Sometimes we forget how poorly teams played in the last game. The Bills were not a top seven team the last time they took the field against the New York Giants. The defense isn't stopping anyone and quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick has cooled off from his hot start. But so many teams in the top 10 lost that Buffalo moved up three spots. This week's game against the Redskins (3-3) is bigger than it looks on paper. If the Bills are truly a playoff contender, these are the games they should win. If Buffalo loses and falls to 4-3, it will be in the mix of many teams battling for the wild card.

New York Jets (4-3)

Power ranking: No. 13 (up three spots)

Walker's vote: No. 12 (up one spot)

Analysis: I have been holding firm on the Jets for several weeks, even when they weren't playing good football. Now, after a quality win over the Chargers, the panel is finally warming up to New York. The team moved up three spots this week. The Jets have the talent to match up with anyone.

But sometimes distractions and not staying together or playing together gets in the way. The Jets are on a two-game winning streak going into their bye. They are finally playing the quality football most expected at the beginning of the season.

Miami Dolphins (0-6)

Power Ranking: No. 31 (down one spot)

Walker's vote: No. 31 (down one spot)

Analysis: The Dolphins are awful. There's no way around it. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Miami became the first team since the merger to blow a 15-0 point lead in the final three minutes. On top of that, the Dolphins became a punch line by blowing the game to Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow, who struugled for three-plus quarters. I don't see any easy wins left on Miami's schedule. The Dolphins may catch someone by surprise and steal a game or two. But this team will remain at or near the bottom of our rankings the rest of the season.

Source: Jets working out former Bills tight end Shawn Nelson

BY Manish Mehta

The Daily News has learned that the Jets are working out former Bills tight end Shawn Nelson today.

The 6-5, 273-pound Nelson played two seasons in Buffalo before he was released. Nelson, who was the Bills' fourth-round pick in 2009, had 20 receptions for 181 yards and a touchdown in 17 career games with the Bills.

Nelson was suspended for the first four games of the 2010 season for violating the league's substance abuse policy. He started 12 games in 2009 and one in 2010.

For more Jets news, follow Manish Mehta on Twitter at http://twitter.com/TheJetsStream

I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets sign this guy. Not just because we are playing the Bills, but because he is a pretty good TE.

Had a good rookie season with the Bills. Went from 240- 273. Failed a drug test. What a surprise. Have to assume it's steroids. The 4 game suspension on a first offense indicates steroids.

Jets have been working out TE's for a few weeks now. Nelson might fit if he is in shape, and hasn't gone back to 240 since the bust

The guy said "the biggest problem, or our understanding of it is" - meaning, he has not earthly clue what he's talking about and purely speculating to create some drama or potentially a Holmes sound byte.

Bingo

Everyone knows Holmes is pissed he only caught two balls while Kerley caught 4, and Plax stole the spotlight. He can't bitch because the Jets won.

Florio is trying to push some buttons so he can say "Remember when I got the scoop on this?" Guys a dick

Bingo

Everyone knows Holmes is pissed he only caught two balls while Kerley caught 4, and Plax stole the spotlight. He can't bitch because the Jets won.

Florio is trying to push some buttons so he can say "Remember when I got the scoop on this?" Guys a dick

Sporst media is a joke. All of them. From the anlaysts on TV to the idiots that write these stories. Am I addicted to them and watch/read them all...yep. But I dont take any of these jokers/opinions/stories seriously for a second. I come up with my own conclussions, and not to brag, but they have just as much validity as these bozo's.

Archived