Bart Scott

Bugg

Its a clear position that the Jets should be drafting. They could have done it last year and most certainly have to next year. Its as much of a cant miss draft position as there is in the NFL which makes it a safer investment too. I dont think the Jets would draft for immediate use either had they taken one last year and maybe not even next year. I think what the Jets now will do is draft one, stick him behind Bart for half the year and then let him take over either due to injury or ineffectiveness (injury is how they got Vilma and Harris in). Eventually this guy becomes the Harris replacement when his deal finishes in a few years. I think that needs to be the plan and they need to avoid two high priced ILBs for the team just like how they should avoid two high priced corners.

Interesting. I'm not a fan of taking an ILB in the first round unless you are coming away with Willis/Lewis caliber player. That said, with the new CBA if a player like that presented himself in the draft, would their salary allow us to carry that many LB'ers getting paid that much money? I'd hate to have a ton of money locked up in 3 ILB's.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure where you'd get this from. PFF had Scott as one of the highest rated ILB's in the league in '09 and '10 and it's specifically because he was that awesome at taking on blockers. No chance Harris would have filled that role better, especially taking into account the degrees to which he's struggled against the run.

He's big and slow, physically occupying blockers would seem to be a potential strong suit

Interesting. I'm not a fan of taking an ILB in the first round unless you are coming away with Willis/Lewis caliber player. That said, with the new CBA if a player like that presented himself in the draft, would their salary allow us to carry that many LB'ers getting paid that much money? I'd hate to have a ton of money locked up in 3 ILB's.

The new CBA makes it work. If the Jets pick around 20 it should be between a 1.47 and 1.53 , million cap charge in year 1 and between 8 and 8.5 million in total contract. (depends on how much the cap rises since the rookie deals are tied into that). Guys like Mauga and McIntyre will make around 500K next season, so its really only a $1 million net cap hit for a major upgrade at a LB position. I think the new CBA is going to definitely bring more teams into BAP mode then ever before rather than need based picks which are often done because you dont want to invest huge money in a position where you already have money sunk.

Archived