Per cimini: Philly knew d calls

aec4

meh, this game was lost by holmes early and then the jets getting away from the run (game plan) (which was working) due to the score. Holmes basically gave the eagles 7 and then cost us 7 on our first 3 drives. he doesn't fumble and muff that catch and this game breaks completely differently.. it may be an old saying, but it's 100% true, when you are on the road against a weaker team, you can't give them any momentum early..

+1 ...everything snowballed after the Holmes fiascos.

While I think the Eagles are a very talented team, I throw that game out the window as soon as it's over ala the NE beatdown from last season.

A major problem with Rex is that he's a reactionary coach when it comes to defensive personnel decisions.

After Manning exposed the No. 2 CB and Nickel in the 2009 AFCCG, Rex pushed for Cro and drafting Wilson.

After the Steelers exposed the DLine in the 2010 AFCCG, Rex pushed to draft Mo and KEllis.

Now that there is an even bigger gaping hole in the middle of the Jets secondary because of Eric Abomination Smith, they'll likely address the Safety position this offseason.

The problem is that Rex and Tanny aren't anticipating problem areas on D.

As to the O, Sanchez is about a C to C+ QB, but Wayne Abortion Hunter ruined any chance of Sanchez getting into a B- range or dare I say B. Seriously. Hunter got smoked and Sanchez got blown up on the FIRST freakin' snap of the season. He's been consistently bad ever since then.

Sanchez is skittish now because even in blowouts he's getting the snot smacked out of him. Sanchez has had 4 defenders this season get fined for illegal hits on him, most in the NFL.

This is a bit revisionist as to why things happened.

They went after Cro and Wilson because Revis was holding out, Lito Sheppard was due a gajillion dollar bonus (and sucked), and Strickland was a walking injury report, and the only other CB on the roster was Lowery. They didn't draft Wilson because they hoped to field 3 starting CB's. It was the perfect insurance plan on paper, actually. If Revis actually held out they had Cro and Wilson to start. If Revis came back they don't have to start Wilson as a rookie, can ease him in, and let Cro go a year later when our starting tandem would be Revis-Wilson. Didn't work out that way because Wilson was so awful as a rookie so they felt the need to re-sign Cromartie for #1 corner money.

They drafted 2 DLmen a year later for 2 completely different reasons:

1) Wilkerson they figured to start from day one or at worst they'd ease him in with Pitoitua. Shaun Ellis was old and aging rapidly and was a FA after the season. Clearly they weren't going to compete with the multi-millions per season the Pats offered him at that age. This was a classic, well thought-out move.

2) Ellis The Younger was drafted because Pouha is entering the final year of his contract. They get to start Kenrick a year later to prevent 2 rookies starting on a 3-man line. They have this luxury with Pouha starting next to Wilkerson in 2011, and then Ellis taking his place in 2012 (if he's good enough, but certainly this was the plan). Also a well thought-out, well-planned move with both the present and future in mind.

Eric Smith was retained because of familiarity, because he was far better than usual in the playoffs, and because (for better or for worse) we spent that first week of a belated and abbreviated FA period making sure Holmes was re-signed, inking Plaxico while Braylon Edwards tested the megadeal market for his services, and seeing to it that Kyle WIlson was not starting at CB in 2012. There were some good safeties available but they all seemed to get $6-8M/year contracts (Weddle, Huff, Mikell, Harper, Landry), were already on the wrong side of 30 for a DB (Atogwe, Sanders, George Wilson, Eugene), or who weren't any better in coverage than Pool (Whitner, Sensabaugh, Pollard). Personally I'd rather have - for less money - a CB/S pair like Wilson/Weddle or Wilson/Landry instead of Cromartie/Pool or Cromartie/Smith. But in July a couple of pretty good defensive coaches wanted no part of Wilson starting in 2012 after seeing him up close in 2011, and that's the decision they made. Who knows what might have been different if they were able to go if not for the CBA mess.

So now they have a choice of doubling down on the misguided move to bring back a Leonhard-Smith-Pool safety tandem or fix it.

Same thing with Hunter. Clearly they didn't think he was going to be this bad and neither did anyone here. The idea was to sign Hunter for low-level starter money (with little to no cap impact if he's cut) and hope Ducasse beat him out. Problem is Ducasse is no better and has the awareness and polish of a baked potato despite his innate physical ability. So they'll clearly address that as well.

Just because something doesn't work out doesn't mean it wasn't thought out. And since you brought it up in the same thought stream, it's a mystery to me how Rex & Tannenbaum are responsible for late hits on Sanchez & how that would have been fixed with an aging Damien Woody who might have eaten his way out of shape and usefullness with an offseason that lasted almost into August.

I've got plenty of complaints about some signings, non-signings, trades, and use of draft picks. With the obvious exception of the despicable Eric Smith, you picked some moves that were pretty logical and well thought-out.

A major problem with Rex is that he's a reactionary coach when it comes to defensive personnel decisions.

After Manning exposed the No. 2 CB and Nickel in the 2009 AFCCG, Rex pushed for Cro and drafting Wilson.

After the Steelers exposed the DLine in the 2010 AFCCG, Rex pushed to draft Mo and KEllis.

Now that there is an even bigger gaping hole in the middle of the Jets secondary because of Eric Abomination Smith, they'll likely address the Safety position this offseason.

The problem is that Rex and Tanny aren't anticipating problem areas on D.

As to the O, Sanchez is about a C to C+ QB, but Wayne Abortion Hunter ruined any chance of Sanchez getting into a B- range or dare I say B. Seriously. Hunter got smoked and Sanchez got blown up on the FIRST freakin' snap of the season. He's been consistently bad ever since then.

Sanchez is skittish now because even in blowouts he's getting the snot smacked out of him. Sanchez has had 4 defenders this season get fined for illegal hits on him, most in the NFL.

Excellent post

They went after Cro and Wilson because Revis was holding out, Lito Sheppard was due a gajillion dollar bonus (and sucked), and Strickland was a walking injury report, and the only other CB on the roster was Lowery. They didn't draft Wilson because they hoped to field 3 starting CB's. It was the perfect insurance plan on paper, actually. If Revis actually held out they had Cro and Wilson to start. If Revis came back they don't have to start Wilson as a rookie, can ease him in, and let Cro go a year later when our starting tandem would be Revis-Wilson. Didn't work out that way because Wilson was so awful as a rookie so they felt the need to re-sign Cromartie for #1 corner money.

They drafted 2 DLmen a year later for 2 completely different reasons:

1) Wilkerson they figured to start from day one or at worst they'd ease him in with Pitoitua. Shaun Ellis was old and aging rapidly and was a FA after the season. Clearly they weren't going to compete with the multi-millions per season the Pats offered him at that age. This was a classic, well thought-out move.

2) Ellis The Younger was drafted because Pouha is entering the final year of his contract. They get to start Kenrick a year later to prevent 2 rookies starting on a 3-man line. They have this luxury with Pouha starting next to Wilkerson in 2011, and then Ellis taking his place in 2012 (if he's good enough, but certainly this was the plan). Also a well thought-out, well-planned move with both the present and future in mind.

Eric Smith was retained because of familiarity, because he was far better than usual in the playoffs, and because (for better or for worse) we spent that first week of a belated and abbreviated FA period making sure Holmes was re-signed, inking Plaxico while Braylon Edwards tested the megadeal market for his services, and seeing to it that Kyle WIlson was not starting at CB in 2012. There were some good safeties available but they all seemed to get $6-8M/year contracts (Weddle, Huff, Mikell, Harper, Landry), were already on the wrong side of 30 for a DB (Atogwe, Sanders, George Wilson, Eugene), or who weren't any better in coverage than Pool (Whitner, Sensabaugh, Pollard). Personally I'd rather have - for less money - a CB/S pair like Wilson/Weddle or Wilson/Landry instead of Cromartie/Pool or Cromartie/Smith. But in July a couple of pretty good defensive coaches wanted no part of Wilson starting in 2012 after seeing him up close in 2011, and that's the decision they made. Who knows what might have been different if they were able to go if not for the CBA mess.

So now they have a choice of doubling down on the misguided move to bring back a Leonhard-Smith-Pool safety tandem or fix it.

Same thing with Hunter. Clearly they didn't think he was going to be this bad and neither did anyone here. The idea was to sign Hunter for low-level starter money (with little to no cap impact if he's cut) and hope Ducasse beat him out. Problem is Ducasse is no better and has the awareness and polish of a baked potato despite his innate physical ability. So they'll clearly address that as well.

Just because something doesn't work out doesn't mean it wasn't thought out. And since you brought it up in the same thought stream, it's a mystery to me how Rex & Tannenbaum are responsible for late hits on Sanchez & how that would have been fixed with an aging Damien Woody who might have eaten his way out of shape and usefullness with an offseason that lasted almost into August.

I've got plenty of complaints about some signings, non-signings, trades, and use of draft picks. With the obvious exception of the despicable Eric Smith, you picked some moves that were pretty logical and well thought-out.

Agreed. I didnt really have a problem with this offseason and dont blame a coach for being reactive especially when your formula got you a game from the SB 2 years in a row. The Jets had a ton of FA's and had to make some crucial decisions. In retrospect, the blunders were thinking Eric Smith was a viable starting safety after a great finish to the season, being fooled by the play of Hunter last season while Woody was out and then not bringing in a verstalie vet after Turner got hurt and then I really hated and now extremely hate the Lowery trade.

My guess with Lowery is they probably drooled over a 4th round pick for him. Thats pretty good value for not an every down player. But the problem is, he's the only player that could guard a TE last season and he's greatly missed. I understand the Hunter situation and will admit I thought he'd be an upgrade over Woody. I was dead wrong. They botched not getting depth behind Turner when he went down. They had plenty of money and time. Eric Smith is a mind **** but you're probably right...he was just an easy signing because he's familiar with the D, he's call the coverage in absence of Leonhard and he's the captain of the ST's (i think).

The biggest problem with this team IMO is the lack of speed in the middle of the field. Couple that with inconsistent OL play and its been an up and down season.

Agreed. I didnt really have a problem with this offseason and dont blame a coach for being reactive especially when your formula got you a game from the SB 2 years in a row. The Jets had a ton of FA's and had to make some crucial decisions. In retrospect, the blunders were thinking Eric Smith was a viable starting safety after a great finish to the season, being fooled by the play of Hunter last season while Woody was out and then not bringing in a verstalie vet after Turner got hurt and then I really hated and now extremely hate the Lowery trade.

My guess with Lowery is they probably drooled over a 4th round pick for him. Thats pretty good value for not an every down player. But the problem is, he's the only player that could guard a TE last season and he's greatly missed. I understand the Hunter situation and will admit I thought he'd be an upgrade over Woody. I was dead wrong. They botched not getting depth behind Turner when he went down. They had plenty of money and time. Eric Smith is a mind **** but you're probably right...he was just an easy signing because he's familiar with the D, he's call the coverage in absence of Leonhard and he's the captain of the ST's (i think).

The biggest problem with this team IMO is the lack of speed in the middle of the field. Couple that with inconsistent OL play and its been an up and down season.

The problem with our LBers is that they too often move like they're running in 4 feet of water. Our 3 main starters are good players and have good instincts, so I think they could cover but for the fact that they're so much slower than every potential receiver & ball-carrier including a 6'2" tall, 290-lb,33 year-old has-been TE.

What chance would any of them have to keep with a mediocre TE, let alone an elite one? The only other options have been to put our now-injured midget starter on him, one of our two starting backup talent safeties on him, Cromartie who gets shoved out of the way by a stiff wind, or Wilson who is unaware that a football can still get thrown to his man even when his coverage is decent.

Revisionist? What you just wrote is revisionist.

Revis didn't hold out until training camp. Cro and Wilson were brought in waaaaayyyyy before then. They're acquisition had nothing to do with Revis' holdout which hadn't even happened yet. And during the acquisition of Cro, Rex said the reasoning was the AFCCG.

The problem with our LBers is that they too often move like they're running in 4 feet of water. Our 3 main starters are good players and have good instincts, so I think they could cover but for the fact that they're so much slower than every potential receiver & ball-carrier including a 6'2" tall, 290-lb,33 year-old has-been TE.

What chance would any of them have to keep with a mediocre TE, let alone an elite one? The only other options have been to put our now-injured midget starter on him, one of our two starting backup talent safeties on him, Cromartie who gets shoved out of the way by a stiff wind, or Wilson who is unaware that a football can still get thrown to his man even when his coverage is decent.

I think this is where missng Bryan Thomas hurts us. Not that you want him 20 yards down field guarding a TE, but he was always the guy knocking them off their route or at least covering them until they reached the next level and didnt force Smith or Leonhard to have to guard the TE from the LOS. That and he's great on the outside vs. the run.

Either way, we need speed to cover the middle of the field. It has to be a priority.

Revisionist? What you just wrote is revisionist.

Revis didn't hold out until training camp. Cro and Wilson were brought in waaaaayyyyy before then. They're acquisition had nothing to do with Revis' holdout which hadn't even happened yet. And during the acquisition of Cro, Rex said the reasoning was the AFCCG.

That isn't true. We knew back in March that Revis wanted to be bumped up to (at least) $16M/year to match Asojackoff & be the league's highest-paid CB. This was no secret & we certainly knew it well before the draft. Hell, we discussed it here. You think we acquired Cro, then drafted Wilson, then SURPRISE! Revis says he's holding out now? That was not the sequence of events.

Cro was brought in almost 2 months before Wilson was drafted. When we acquired Cro we still only had 2 CB's if Revis didn't hold out. He was taking the place of Lito Sheppard, not augmenting Sheppard to be a 3rd corner. Wilson was there at the end of round 1, was thought to provide great value at that stage of the draft, and the reality is Cro was not under contract after 2011. I'm sure it seemed like a good situation. When Cro's contract is up after 2011, then Wilson steps in and we recoup the lost draft pick for Cro in the form of a 3rd-4th round compensatory pick in the 2012 draft after letting him hit free agency. Cro hadn't been very good the 2 prior seasons anyway so the only sure thing with regards to him was that we knew he tackled like a bitch.

The only reason Revis didn't officially hold out until after the draft was because until then there was nothing to hold out from. But everyone in the team's FO knew what was going to happen & it was no surprise.

Thats definitely the case. Just go back to 2009 when Rex was 110% behind just letting his OC do anything he wanted and Sanchez had so much more responsibility than almost any rookie QB in years. Finally Rex got in and said to cut it out with the Sanchez nonsense because he is costing his defense football games. But if it was up to the OC the Jets would be a passing team and that is more or less what they built, but with poor QB play and nothing done to try to point out his good qualities (play action, roll outs, etc...) they cant look competent against teams with a decent defense. Dumping Schotty isnt fixing Sanchez like some think, but it may give him a chance to be in a system more designed for his strengths---and one that has him getting the same story from his head coach and coordinator rather than being pulled in two different directions as to what his job is in the game.

Rex wants this team to play like the 49ers. No turnovers on offense, run the ball, play defense.

Schott is the wrong guy for that offense, the discipline is just not there. But Rex OWNS the defense which has been average at best this year, really no excuse for that.

I think im going to blame Holmes for costing us the game sunday. He gave that defense motivation to play after a fumble and interception. Not to say the refs were ******* us the whole game.

I don't know if you call it motivation...but, a fumble, a ball going threw the hands of the same guy that fumbled leading to an INT, and then Sanchez fumble...just those three plays cost us 21 points.....it is what it is....We have the Giants now....If we play a clean game...we will kick the Giants a$$.

Archived