LaDainian Tomlinson 'contemplating' retirement for first time in career

Jetfan13

3492.png By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-LedgerThe Star-Ledger

Future Hall of Fame running back LaDainian Tomlinson said he is seriously considering stepping away from the game of football, after 11 accomplished seasons.

"I am contemplating retirement," Tomlinson told San Diego radio station XX 1090 today. "That’s what I told my coaches and told my agent and everybody. That’s exactly what it is. This is the first time in my playing career that I’ve actually honestly thought about this may be it for me. That’s kinda where I am right now."

The possibility of retirement has seemed to come more into play for him over the past two weeks. Before the Jets' season finale, Tomlinson said he was definitely coming back to the NFL next season. But after the season-ending loss in Miami, he said he couldn't say yes or no.

Tomlinson's two-year deal with the Jets is up and he will be a free agent. The 32-year-old carried the ball 75 times for 280 yards, and also added 449 receiving yards as he transitioned to a third-down role.

Tomlinson said it is "hard to say" if he will be back with the Jets. He said he has to wait and see what changes are made. He also said he would consider returning to San Diego, where he spent the first nine seasons of his career — as he would consider all teams.

The Jets' season ended in turmoil, as captain Santonio Holmes was benched in the season-ending loss to Miami after fighting with a teammate in the offensive huddle. Tomlinson spoke out strongly and eloquently afterward about what took place that afternoon, an example of the veteran leadership he can provide a team.

"There were some great times this year even through all that," Tomlinson said. "We had some great times together, but I just think after 11 years of battling, getting close, and not getting it done, it’s hard for me to start over on that journey again. It’s gonna be hard."

Tomlinson said he believes he still has a lot to offer a team on the field, citing his ability to catch passes out of the backfield. He is the NFL's fifth all-time leading rusher, and a four-time All-Pro player, but the one accolade missing is a Super Bowl championship. That would be the biggest factor if he decides to come back.

“Just hope. I think hope of a championship," Tomlinson said. "Looking at a team and being like, 'You know what, there’s hope there,' honestly. Beyond that, I think at some point nobody wants to retire from football. That’s something that we’ve done since we were little kids, but there does become a time where holding on too long is exactly the wrong thing to do for me.”

Archived