Right Tackle talk

Greenseed4

Depends on the price of these FAs really. Collins and even Brown might fly enough under the radar because one is a backup and the other has a bad rep for being a bad #5 overall pick. Key word is might...I don't see splurging but I do see sensible spending.

Collins is the way to go. He has starting experience, youth, and is a mauler. 4 years at $3.5M/per.

Hunter was ranked 31 out of 32 starting RTs. So unless McKenzie was number 32, you might be wrong on this one Spermie.

It's too bad you stopped reading...the other three options (highlighted) are a lot more exciting... and my last paragraph even mentions my distaste for McKenzie.

[My bad for starting a non-Manning related thread on a position of need, and listing the options that are out there a week before FA starts]

Ranked according to whom? Does this ranking take into account how our QB has no idea how to get rid of the football, and how much better Eli is at avoiding the rush? Or is it a simple "how many pressures, how many sacks" compilation that essentially suggests a RT puts up these same exact numbers with a QB like Sanchez as he does with a QB with some pocket awareness?

Hunter was bad last year. McKenzie was worse. He may be the worst RT in the NFL. Only reason the Giants kept him is they already had enough OL turnover for one year, he was under contract, and he wasn't nearly this bad before.

Letting McKenzie walk was a big mistake. Bringing him back at this stage of the game would be a bonehead move of Godzilla proportions.

It was, but in defense of Boobway, the contract the Giants offered at the time (think it was was in line with top-10 left tackles) was nuts for a non-allstar RT.

Ranked according to whom? Does this ranking take into account how our QB has no idea how to get rid of the football, and how much better Eli is at avoiding the rush? Or is it a simple "how many pressures, how many sacks" compilation that essentially suggests a RT puts up these same exact numbers with a QB like Sanchez as he does with a QB with some pocket awareness?

Hunter was bad last year. McKenzie was worse. He may be the worst RT in the NFL. Only reason the Giants kept him is they already had enough OL turnover for one year, he was under contract, and he wasn't nearly this bad before.

Here y' go

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1074106-br-nfl-1000-top-32-right-tackles#/articles/1074106-br-nfl-1000-top-32-right-tackles/page/3

They have McKenzie ranked #26, and I don't know the metrics they used to rank these players, nor do I want to enter a debate about who is worse than Wayne Hunter because I'm hoping to see improvement from the position. Point the finger at Mark if you want, he didn't have those problems with Damien Woody playing RT...and being as he's still a young QB, he needs to be coddled with better protection. The question is WHO???

Sounds like you're def not pulling for McKenzie... check. (and) you also admit that Hunter isn't good...but you haven't actually offered any insight on how you'd address or fix this "problem".

You're just being a crotchety old man.

Here y' go

http://bleacherrepor...-tackles/page/3

They have McKenzie ranked #26, and I don't know the metrics they used to rank these players, nor do I want to enter a debate about who is worse than Wayne Hunter because I'm hoping to see improvement from the position. Point the finger at Mark if you want, he didn't have those problems with Damien Woody playing RT...and being as he's still a young QB, he needs to be coddled with better protection. The question is WHO???

Sounds like you're def not pulling for McKenzie... check. (and) you also admit that Hunter isn't good...but you haven't actually offered any insight on how you'd address or fix this "problem".

You're just being a crotchety old man.

The Bleacher Report??? That's your ranking source? lol

Not that I was looking around before, but I found a different ranking by an actual publisher (such as they are) in PFF (link). McKenzie was ranked as a (marginally) worse RT than Wayne Hunter in 2011. That's despite the good fortune of protecting a QB who has a faster release and recognizes pressure far better, and doesn't stand still like a friggin' idiot tackling dummy, which collectively have an enormous impact on the rankings of any lineman.

Incidentally, the prior year McKenzie was ranked near the top, right alongside Damien Woody (link). So last year's performance - particularly for an aging player - is no guarantee of good (or even acceptable) play a year later. To just throw out the name "Damien Woody" as though it would magically make Sanchez an acceptable QB is lazy. There is no more reason to believe that, after an offseason with a work stoppage, Woody would have been in playing shape. No reason other than personal hope, while keeping in mind this was a player who had such weight and conditioning issues in the past that special weigh-in clauses needed to be put into his contract.

Hey I would rather have better RT play, particularly in pass protection, than Hunter provided last season. But it could be worse, and one way would be to bring in Kareem McKenzie. I was giving an opinion when you listed him as the first option to improve the position. He is no option except as a backup to be used in case of injury.

My solution is to replace the QB. That takes care of far more issues in the passing game than replacing Wayne Hunter with anyone you can imagine up. But for the record I think we should draft someone else but not in round 1. After that depends on value when it's our turn to pick. Also for what it's worth I think Ducasse - embarrassment as he's been thus far - stands a chance of doing ok with a full off-season and a shift away from so much zone blocking.

Eben Britton from the Panthers! He's expected to be a free agent in a few weeks, as the Panthers won't offer him much because of his injury last season.

Tanny has said that Wayne Hunter will be the starter...

weeks prior, Tanny said Vlad would be "competing" solely at the RT position...

There are reports that we WILL NOT draft OL in the first several rounds of the draft...

and yet there are names getting tossed around free agency that I think we should look into.

-Kareem McKenzie, an 11-year veteran who spent four seasons with the Jets and seven with the Giants, won’t be spending a 12th year in New York.

Unless he returns to the Jets. [per PFT]

-The Baltimore Sun expects the Ravens to waive LT Bryant McKinnie if free agents Ben Grubbs and Matt Birk are retained this offseason.

McKinnie worked his way into playing shape last season, but was a liability in run blocking and finished as a below-average left tackle in Pro Football Focus' 2011 rankings. The Ravens have until March 18 to decide whether to pay McKinnie's $500,000 roster bonus. [per rotoworld]

-There's Anthony Collins, (6'5, 315) swing tackle for the Bengals. He is the 4th ranked Tackle in FA behind Jared Gaither, Demetrius Bell, and likely cap cut Levi Brown. This was written about him a year ago: [Collins is] "...a 25-year-old entering a contract season, Collins played only 281 snaps of offense in 2010. He started seven games the season prior, and according to Pro Football Focus allowed just six QB pressures all year." [rotoworld]

-Vernon Carey G/T is looking for a new home. He's 6'5, 340...has familiarity with Sparano and Googs, and would be a nice Damien Woody type of presence in the locker-room...if nothing else, he would be cheap, veteran depth.

Personally, I wouldn't touch McKenzie. Besides, I think he hates the Jets. But McKinnie at RT would be epic. Collins is pretty beastly, I think he could start for us, and has youth on his side. I like the idea of Carey on our roster (riding pine) just because he has experience at all of the interior positions and can play RT... on the cheap, and you just can't put a price on the lunch-pale/blue collar types.

Britton is a Jaguar and sure...talented player...a psuedo LT so he's more like a modern RT...from Brooklyn too if you give a sh*t about that...if he could stay healthy he'd be a pretty good starter for someone. I've heard the rumor that they might get rid of him over there.

Cheap and young...that's what they should be going after (breaking ground as usual, I am)...something like Maybin but hopefully with more starter upside...Collins and Britton would fit that.

The Bleacher Report??? That's your ranking source? lol

Not that I was looking around before, but I found a different ranking by an actual publisher (such as they are) in PFF (link). McKenzie was ranked as a (marginally) worse RT than Wayne Hunter in 2011. That's despite the good fortune of protecting a QB who has a faster release and recognizes pressure far better, and doesn't stand still like a friggin' idiot tackling dummy, which collectively have an enormous impact on the rankings of any lineman.

Incidentally, the prior year McKenzie was ranked near the top, right alongside Damien Woody (link). So last year's performance - particularly for an aging player - is no guarantee of good (or even acceptable) play a year later. To just throw out the name "Damien Woody" as though it would magically make Sanchez an acceptable QB is lazy. There is no more reason to believe that, after an offseason with a work stoppage, Woody would have been in playing shape. No reason other than personal hope, while keeping in mind this was a player who had such weight and conditioning issues in the past that special weigh-in clauses needed to be put into his contract.

Hey I would rather have better RT play, particularly in pass protection, than Hunter provided last season. But it could be worse, and one way would be to bring in Kareem McKenzie. I was giving an opinion when you listed him as the first option to improve the position. He is no option except as a backup to be used in case of injury.

My solution is to replace the QB. That takes care of far more issues in the passing game than replacing Wayne Hunter with anyone you can imagine up. But for the record I think we should draft someone else but not in round 1. After that depends on value when it's our turn to pick. Also for what it's worth I think Ducasse - embarrassment as he's been thus far - stands a chance of doing ok with a full off-season and a shift away from so much zone blocking.

Thanks for the input.

I look at so many different sites, I rarely remember where I saw what. I just remembered seeing Hunter on a list and he was 31/32.

[sidenote: I actually used the bleacher report for their pictures, to help me create my "All-Whiteys Roster 2012" ...it bombed.]

I wish I had access to the premium-stats on PFF. Without it, one is left with their stat that measures OL success from 2008-2010. Which as you pointed out, was a time period of great success for McKenizie. But aside from that, I don't really have much exposure to the guy. I live in California. I just saw that he was available, and plopped him down on a list of people that are available (in order of their appearance on rotoworld) and called it a day.

If anything, call me lazy for that, (but I've seen far less effort put into making a thread). As for Damien Woody's affect on Mark Sanchez, are we really going to go there? I'm lazy for saying I saw a regression in Mark when his RT was downgraded? I know how this plays out.

-I'll say: I saw a jittery QB due to protection issues

-you'll say: statistically all of his numbers went up...and other QBs with worse protection did better

-I'll point out that he had unfamiliarity with a WR2 that didn't seperate, was struggling with a newer playbook, and had double-coverage on his best reciever.

-You'll point out some QB who did well despite having sh*ttier WRs, and say playbook struggles are a sign of his being a bad QB

-I'll then say Schotty's playbook has ruined many a QB, even Favre couldn't understand it

-You'll say Favre was a rented gun, didn't have motivation to be here anyway

-I'll say: Brett is a HOF QB, who by the way, had an excellent OL in his year here.

-You'll retort with, really, in 2008 Brandon Moore was weak, and Faneca was on the decline

-I'll say, then explain how the following year, Mark Sanchez was able to take us to the AFC Championship game

-You'll say, Because he had an incredible running game, behind an excellent OL (ranked #3), and a great defense.

and I'll say, that's exactly my point, guy.

Instead of calling me an idiot, you could have simply offered your PFF ranking list, and your suggestion to draft a RT. geez.

You keep this sh*t up Spermie, and you're not getting a Christmas card this year.

Archived