Right Tackle talk

Greenseed4

Tanny has said that Wayne Hunter will be the starter...

weeks prior, Tanny said Vlad would be "competing" solely at the RT position...

There are reports that we WILL NOT draft OL in the first several rounds of the draft...

and yet there are names getting tossed around free agency that I think we should look into.

-Kareem McKenzie, an 11-year veteran who spent four seasons with the Jets and seven with the Giants, won’t be spending a 12th year in New York.

Unless he returns to the Jets. [per PFT]

-The Baltimore Sun expects the Ravens to waive LT Bryant McKinnie if free agents Ben Grubbs and Matt Birk are retained this offseason.

McKinnie worked his way into playing shape last season, but was a liability in run blocking and finished as a below-average left tackle in Pro Football Focus' 2011 rankings. The Ravens have until March 18 to decide whether to pay McKinnie's $500,000 roster bonus. [per rotoworld]

-There's Anthony Collins, (6'5, 315) swing tackle for the Bengals. He is the 4th ranked Tackle in FA behind Jared Gaither, Demetrius Bell, and likely cap cut Levi Brown. This was written about him a year ago: [Collins is] "...a 25-year-old entering a contract season, Collins played only 281 snaps of offense in 2010. He started seven games the season prior, and according to Pro Football Focus allowed just six QB pressures all year." [rotoworld]

-Vernon Carey G/T is looking for a new home. He's 6'5, 340...has familiarity with Sparano and Googs, and would be a nice Damien Woody type of presence in the locker-room...if nothing else, he would be cheap, veteran depth.

Personally, I wouldn't touch McKenzie. Besides, I think he hates the Jets. But McKinnie at RT would be epic. Collins is pretty beastly, I think he could start for us, and has youth on his side. I like the idea of Carey on our roster (riding pine) just because he has experience at all of the interior positions and can play RT... on the cheap, and you just can't put a price on the lunch-pale/blue collar types.

Max Starks is a free agent. Possible option on the right side.

Demetrius Bell is a little known right tackle from Buffalo. Quite underrated.

Anthony Collins from Cincinatti as well, he's young at 26 and the Bengals ran wild behind him.

Dude. I color coded and everything.

Do you know how I know you're gay? Because you don't read posts when you're the second person to respond to a thread. Your "little known" guy is the second ranked OT available. Which is mentioned in my color-coded brief on Anthony Collins.

2/3's of your suggestions are discussed one post above.

Do you know how I know you're gay? Because you don't read posts when you're the second person to respond to a thread. Your "little known" guy is the second ranked OT available. Which is mentioned in my color-coded brief on Anthony Collins.

It's two in the damn morning, sorry if my eyes aren't crisp enough to fill your high and mighty standards of perfection. Why don't you take your pixie stick color coded chart and shove it in your vagina, because I really couldn't give a damn.

It's two in the damn morning, sorry if my eyes aren't crisp enough to fill your high and mighty standards of perfection. Why don't you take your pixie stick color coded chart and shove it in your vagina, because I really couldn't give a damn.

Come on Joe, don't get feelings. That's gay.

For those unaware. Karl Malone is Bell's father. Though he settled out of court, he used the good ole' "wasn't me" defense.

"Karl Malone has never offered public confirmation that he is the father of Demetrius Bell. However, laboratory blood tests prepared for the Bell family's 1986 paternity lawsuit against Malone reportedly pointed to an over 99 percent probability that Bell's father was either Malone or a brother of Malone.

Malone's attorney noted, that Malone "had a lot of brothers"."

:D hahahaaaa

This guy's younger brother is getting some attention as well.

-Free agent T/G Geoff Schwartz confirmed on Twitter Wednesday night that he is healthy after missing all of 2011 due to hip surgery.

Beat writer Darin Gantt insists Schwartz wasn't tendered due to a "business decision," but the Panthers would easily have offered him the one-year, $1.26 million proposal if they thought highly of Schwartz. Young and a mauler with starting experience at right guard and right tackle. [rotoworld]

McKenzie isn't nearly what he once was and is now worse than Wayne Hunter. Worried about our ability to protect the QB and one proposed solution to improve line play is to take the rejected, worst OLman on just about the worst pass-protecting line in the league.

Pure genius idea. I stopped reading after this one "option" was proposed.

This post is completely unnecessary, and your entire second section (if you like I will color code it for you and everything) will not be tolerated.

I'm starting to think this is the year that the Jets tighten the ol ' purse strings. That weird press conference where Tannenbaum talked about finding under-the-radar players like Marcus Dixon and (snicker) Victor Cruz has me thinking that they're prepared to ride or die with stiffs like Hunter and Ducasse.

Tanny has said that Wayne Hunter will be the starter...

weeks prior, Tanny said Vlad would be "competing" solely at the RT position...

There are reports that we WILL NOT draft OL in the first several rounds of the draft...

TANNY ALSO SAID SHOTTY WOULD BE BACK....Ha, Ha

Oh and I would not mind taking a look at Levi Brown. He's been extremely well paid and hasn't lived up to it, so there's a chance he's cheap. He finished last year strong IIRC, and obviously we've invested alot into OL *coaching* this offseason with Sporano and new guy.

He doesn't lack talent...or size...and he's still young at 28...maybe the coaches can get him to be more consistently good.

I'd go with Vernon Carey

6'5" 350 30 YO Had 87 straight starts for the Dolphins at RT, LT, and guard only gave up 6 sacks as a LT. IR'ed in week 13 2010 with a knee. Health status wasn't sure in 2011, redid his contract and played RG. Made Pro Bowl as an alternate. Had a high ankle sprain in the Dallas game late in the season. Should play fairly cheap.

Wonder if he's upset with Sparano. he is with the Fish in general

What do you want to bet a RT isnt coming to the Jets via FA??? Maybe some UDFA type, but not a starter.

My guess is the Jets don't bring any type of sure-fire starter in, but unless they're suddenly feeling much better about Ducasse, they'll bring in another low-dollar experienced backup type who they won't be counting on to start, but who they feel ok putting in there if need be. Pretty much along the same lines as Hunter prior to last year. Considering what a disaster the Jets depth situation was after Turner went down last year, I can't imagine they won't at least come up with some sort of "Plan B". A day 2 or 3 pick is also a real possibility, but I do agree you won't see any sort of huge investment made there next week.

McKenzie isn't nearly what he once was and is now worse than Wayne Hunter. Worried about our ability to protect the QB and one proposed solution to improve line play is to take the rejected, worst OLman on just about the worst pass-protecting line in the league.

Pure genius idea. I stopped reading after this one "option" was proposed.

Hunter was ranked 31 out of 32 starting RTs. So unless McKenzie was number 32, you might be wrong on this one Spermie.

It's too bad you stopped reading...the other three options (highlighted) are a lot more exciting... and my last paragraph even mentions my distaste for McKenzie.

[My bad for starting a non-Manning related thread on a position of need, and listing the options that are out there a week before FA starts]

I'm starting to think this is the year that the Jets tighten the ol ' purse strings. That weird press conference where Tannenbaum talked about finding under-the-radar players like Marcus Dixon and (snicker) Victor Cruz has me thinking that they're prepared to ride or die with stiffs like Hunter and Ducasse.

Who might be decent in a new system. If you take away Hunter's first three games, and his last three games, he did alright, and

Ducasse is the X-factor in this. He could be a stumbly clown, or the next Marc Colombo sans the suck.

Hunter was ranked 31 out of 32 starting RTs. So unless McKenzie was number 32, you might be wrong on this one Spermie.

It's too bad you stopped reading...the other three options (highlighted) are a lot more exciting... and my last paragraph even mentions my distaste for McKenzie.

[My bad for starting a non-Manning related thread on a position of need, and listing the options that are out there a week before FA starts]

For all the bitching you've been doing about Manning being talked about in every thread, you sure do feel the need to be the first to bring him up in every thread that you start.

This post is completely unnecessary, and your entire second section (if you like I will color code it for you and everything) will not be tolerated.

It's a playful exchange between two buddies in a fairly recent movie. I thought calling each other gay and stupid was commonplace around here. I'll take it down (or someone else can) if it offends anyone or detracts from the respectibility of this site.

My guess is the Jets don't bring any type of sure-fire starter in, but unless they're suddenly feeling much better about Ducasse, they'll bring in another low-dollar experienced backup type who they won't be counting on to start, but who they feel ok putting in there if need be. Pretty much along the same lines as Hunter prior to last year. Considering what a disaster the Jets depth situation was after Turner went down last year, I can't imagine they won't at least come up with some sort of "Plan B". A day 2 or 3 pick is also a real possibility, but I do agree you won't see any sort of huge investment made there next week.

This sounds like a perfect role for Vernon Carey.

As for a starter, I guess we have to defer to the coaches, it seems like our line is sooo close to being dominant, that it would be ridiculous to pass on a startable stud if we can get one on the cheap. I think McKinnie at RT would have a lot of success, and we would have a backup plan should D'Brick go down. If anything, we learned how valuable our studs (Brick and Nick) are to the success of our season.

Depth is paramount and Turner is a FA.

LOL

What do you want to bet a RT isnt coming to the Jets via FA??? Maybe some UDFA type, but not a starter.

Depends on the price of these FAs really. Collins and even Brown might fly enough under the radar because one is a backup and the other has a bad rep for being a bad #5 overall pick. Key word is might...I don't see splurging but I do see sensible spending.

Archived