Rookie Minicamp (live feed from rookie camp on now)

Ryno the Jet

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

spermlicker still acting like a db i guess

Really have no idea...just don't have any interactions with him. I would assume they still censor out JetNation.com but I am not certain about that.

MAY 5, 2012 1:39 PM2 COMMENTS

Quinton Coples sits out 11-on-11 team drills at Jets rookie mini-camp

BY MANISH MEHTA

The Jets believe that Quinton Coples will play an integral part on their defensive line for years to come. On the second day of rookie mini-camp, the coaches kept him on the sidelines during 11-on-11 team drills. Coples participated in individual drills before watching 11 on 11s on Saturday.

“They told me to sit out and that’s what I did,” Coples said. “There’s no time to question it. This is the NFL. If the boss says sit down, sit down. So that’s what I did.”

Was Coples, who said that he wasn't injured, curious why he wasn’t participating in team drills?

“I am,” Coples said. “I trust the staff. They (made) the best decision for me. And I’ll move forward from there.”

Last year, the Jets held linebacker David Harris out of practice hours before signing him to a long-term contract. Could it be a similar situation for Coples, who hasn’t signed his rookie deal yet?  Coples wasn’t aware of an imminent signing for his rookie deal when I asked him.

http://twitter,com/TheJetsStream

ESPN.com: New York Jets

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Coples benched in minicamp drills

By Rich Cimini

First-round pick Quinton Coples didn't participate in team drills Saturday because of a "coach's decision," he told reporters after Day 2 of the Jets' rookie minicamp.

Coples, who watched the 11-on-11 drills from the sideline with helmet in hand, said he had no idea why he was told to sit out. He said he's not injured; he participated in individual drills.

Rex Ryan doesn't address the media until 3 p.m. This isn't contract-related, according to a source. Sometimes a player will sit out when a deal is on the verge of getting done, but that isn't the case in this situation.

"They told me to sit out and that's what I did," the former North Carolina defensive end said.

Asked if he questioned the decision, Coples said, "There's no time to question it. This is the NFL. If the boss says sit down, sit down. That's what I did."

Coples said he "trusts the staff to make the best decision for me."

Coples, the 16th overall pick, came out of North Carolina with a reputation for inconsistent intensity on the field. By all accounts, he impressed the coaches in Friday's practice. In fact, Ryan raved about Coples, saying he recorded six "sacks" in the non-contact drills.

"@Steiny31: @D_Marc11 RT @Cnimbley: Re: DaMarcus Ganaway. You're gonna hear the word smooth a lot to describe him for a reason."

"@Steiny31: @D_Marc11 RT @Cnimbley: No better description for him. Exceptionally smooth route runner, He's gliding around the field w/ such ease"

Rookie camp, Day 2: Sideline observations

May, 5, 2012 By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

Some quick takes on the second practice of the Jets' rookie minicamp:

1. It was another big day for second-round WR Stephen Hill, who was the best player on the field -- at least from my perspective. In 7-on-7 drills, Hill was a huge presence over the middle, making several grabs on in-cutting routes in the 15- to 20-yard range. In team drills, he made a nice, over-the-shoulder catch on a sideline route. This was a long way from game conditions, so let's not put him in Canton just yetbut the Jets have to be thrilled with Hill.

2. Third-round LB Demario Davis has something the Jets' other LBs don't have -- speed. He recorded a "sack" in team drills, blitzing up the middle. Okay, he was unblocked, but you could see the burst. He also drops smoothly into coverage. Message to Bart Scott: You'd better be on your game when camp opens.

3. The safeties -- Josh Bush (sixth round) and Antonio Allen (seventh) -- worked as a tandem, alternating in the free and strong roles. Allen looks more comfortable in the box, which is no surprise. At South Carolina, he played what they call the "spur," a hybrid safety/linebacker. Bush is undersized -- looks like a corner -- so I wonder how he'd hold up as an every-down player.

4. There's an interesting mix of quarterbacks in camp -- G.J. Kinne (Tulsa, UDFA), Matt Simms (Tennessee, tryout) and Dan DiLella (Albany, tryout). Kinne performed the best on Day 1, but the gap closes. Simms, son of former Giants QB Phil Simms, can really zip the ball. But he was erratic with his accuracy and he also needs to develop some touch. Afterward, Simms spoke to a few reporters. (The resemblance to his dad is uncanny.) He was as polite as could be, hoping he can show enough in this camp to earn a contract.

5. I like "Aussie" -- er, I mean TE Hayden Smith. He's doing a nice job for someone who never played football. The former rugby star made a terrific catch over the middle between two defenders. I'm sure he's running some wrong routes and making some mental errors, but all things considered, he doesn't look out of place. Well, except for one thing: He's the only player wearing white knee socks. Must be a rugby thing.

6. Of the undrafted free agents, the one that jumps out to me is CB Ryan Steed (Furman). He made a nice pass-breakup, closing quickly on a short route. The Jets have depth issues at corner, so they need someone to step up.

Archived