Training Camp Notes - Friday 7.7.12

Maxman

You guys are lazy :) And Max, you are behind by 20 days!

Mark Sanchez outshines Tim Tebow at first Jets training camp practice

BY Manish Mehta

CORTLAND – The morning after Mark Sanchez said that he was in “attack mode” entering training camp, the fourth-year quarterback outshined backup Tim Tebow on the first day of practice.

Sanchez led an offense that looked crisp on the first day of practice, setting the tone with a 40-yard bomb to rookie Stephen Hill on the first play of 11-on-11 team drills. Hill made a diving grab off a deflection from Darrelle Revis.

Tony Sparano gave a sneak peek of his style by calling plenty of plays to stretch the field. The offense looked much crisper than it did during minicamp last month.

“Exactly what we wanted,” Sanchez said after practice. “The pace, the tempo, the excitement. That was perfect. Exactly what Coach Sparano was preaching to us last night.” “Exactly what we wanted,” Sanchez said after practice. “The pace, the tempo, the excitement. That was perfect. Exactly what Coach Sparano was preaching to us last night.”

Tebow completed a 45-yard touchdown pass to Jeremy Kerley that was nullified due to a false start penalty.

In all, Sanchez finished 7 for 8 with 16 snaps with the first team. (he threw an interception to Revis in 7-on-7 drills). Tebow went 4 for 5 with 12 snaps (including two rushes for 15 yards) with the second team.

The Jets apparently have a competition at left guard. Incumbent Matt Slauson, who proclaimed himself 100 percent healthy from off-season shoulder surgery, rotated at LG with Vlad Ducasse during practice. Slauson, who also took some reps at right tackle, assumes there’s a competition now at left guard.

Jeff Otah, who is in limbo until he passes his physical, said that he’s “close… almost there” physically. The Jets acquired Otah from the Panthers for a conditional seventh-round pick provided that he passes a physical within seven days. Otah said that he expects to compete for the starting right tackle spot with Wayne Hunter if healthy. Otah worked with trainers on the field on Friday.

Keyshawn Johnson paid a visit to practice and held court with reporters after practice.

Safety LaRon Landry, who was taken off the PUP list on Thursday, was in uniform, but only worked out with the trainers.

Rookie linebacker Demario Davis worked with trainers after suffering a hamstring injury during his conditioning test on Thursday.

Rookie offensive lineman Robert Griffin left practice early after limping off with the trainer.

http://twitter.com/MMehtaNYDN

Jets offense looks sharp on opening day of training camp

Published: Friday, July 27, 2012, 11:55 AM Updated: Friday, July 27, 2012, 11:57 AM

By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

11353857-large.jpgWilliam Perlman/The Star-LedgerMark Sanchez and Santonio Holmes had good chemistry in the opening practice of camp.

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- New offensive coordinator Tony Sparano was yelling in last night's team meeting, players said, urging his unit to be physical this year and telling them to get after it in the opening practice of training camp.

Looks like the message got through. The Jets offense looked sharp in its camp debut this morning, a 2.5 hour practice closed to the public.

"That was perfect, exactly what Coach Sparano preached to us last night," quarterback Mark Sanchez said. "Everyone was extremely excited, and that’s the kind of attitude you need to play with. And obviously you get results."

Sanchez's unit set the tone early with a deep 40-yard strike to rookie Stephen Hill on the first play of 11-on-11s. All-Pro cornerback Darrelle Revis tipped the ball, but Hill made an impressive grab.

"Awesome, right out of the gate, too," Sanchez said. " 'Reve' made a great play to tip it, and Stephen stayed with it. Another great play, something fun, something all of us can kind of rally around."

Sanchez finished practice completing 7-of-8 passes on 17 snaps of 11-on-11 team drills. In 7-on-7 drills, he was 4-of-8, with an interception by Revis.

Sanchez also made a few nice connections with Santonio Holmes, including the grab Holmes made on Revis while tumbling to the ground in 7-on-7 drills.

"Just that attitude, that extra work we put in, the mentality coming into it that we're ready to attack this thing together," Sanchez said of his connection with Holmes.

Back-up quarterback Tim Tebow took 11 snaps in the 11-on-11 team period, completing 4-of-4 passes with a sack. He was 4-of-6 in the 7-on-7 period. Tebow also took several reps as the personal protector on the punt team, a spot where coach Rex Ryan said they want to take advantage of the threat Tebow is to run a fake punt.

Other notes and observations today:

++ S LaRon Landry (Achilles/heel) did not take part in either positional or team drills, instead working on the side with his jersey on. He was activated off the physically unable to perform list yesterday, and Ryan said he will be on a "pitch count" early in camp, but he that count is still at zero. Yeremiah Bell and Eric Smith worked with the first-team defense, while rookie Josh Bush and Tracy Wilson were the second-team safeties.

++ Newly acquired tackle Jeff Otah spent practice working off to the side, without his jersey on. The Jets' trade with Carolina is pending Otah passing a physical within the next five days. Otah said he "tweaked" his troublesome knee in OTAs and needs to get strength back. Asked if he believes he can pass, he said, "we'll see."

Otah was brought in to compete with Wayne Hunter at the right tackle spot. Hunter said he was given a heads up, and expected the team to bring in a "high-profile player" -- Otah was a former first round pick -- to compete with him. He views the job as his to lose, though.

++ Matt Slauson and Vlad Ducasse alternated reps at left guard with the first-team line. Slauson said he was told this morning they would rotate and was surprised at first. He hasn't been told it's a competition, but he's treating it as such. Slauson was sidelined all spring after shoulder surgery, and Ducasse filled in for him, but Slauson said he is completely recovered and full go for camp.

Slauson also took a few reps at right tackle, but he thinks the team just wanted to see if he could step in there in an emergency.

++ Kicking competition update: Nick Folk was 4-for-4 today between 38 and 48 yards. Josh Brown was 2-for-4 today. He made kicks of 50 and 52 yards, but missed from 42 and 44 yards.

++ Rookie G Robert Griffin left practice early with trainer John Mellody.

© 2012 NJ.com. All rights reserved.

Hayden Smith takes a ride with Tebow

KRISTIAN DYER

26 July 2012 07:53

78c6ade24a9f913d2b2f82f28857.jpg

WARREN LITTLE/GETTY IMAGES

Hayden Smith is making the transition from rugby to the NFL.

Hayden Smith called shotgun for the three-hour trip from north Jersey to Jets training camp in upstate New York on Thursday morning. His driver? None other than the most talked about athlete in America, Jets quarterback Tim Tebow.

The Australian-born Smith hopped a ride with Tebow and arrived at the team’s training camp in Cortland by mid-afternoon, hopping out of the passenger side of Tebow’s black Escalade. It was a fun trip for Smith, a former rugby player who is trying to transition into the NFL at tight end. The question of what type of music Tebow listens to on road trips, however, remains a mystery.

“No radio, [just] chatting. No music,” Smith told Metro New York.

“We were chatting all sorts of things really — Australia, different parts of the world. Tim’s grown up playing football playing here in America and I grew up in different situations. It was two guys talking about shared experiences and different ones too.”

Smith’s first NFL training camp will be made easier by some of the insight gained from Tebow, now entering his third year in the league. They make an interesting driving pair, with Smith having never played organized football before and very much learning the game and Tebow, a throwback quarterback who plays unconventionally and isn’t a typical pocket passer. But Smith said he was able to pepper his road trip buddy with questions throughout their drive that took then from New Jersey through Pennsylvania and then up I-81 north to Cortland.

The two only made one stop to get some gas and didn’t leave Tebow’s vehicle. They followed a member of the Jets organization who led the way the entire trip.

Smith said the cherubic Tebow “didn’t speed” and doesn’t have a heavy foot. Their major topic of conversation was the Jets and in particular the playbook.

“We did actually speak football for quite a while. The guy is very willing to try and help out any way we can, quizzing me on things to see what I know,” Smith said.

“The guy is as sharp as you want; he’s all over it. He knows his playbook. He was happy to help me out when I can. He was taking quick glances in the playbook trying to come up with ways to grill.”

Quick glances of the playbook — so Tebow doesn’t drive with both hands on the wheel? Finally, a spot of dirt on the saintly, white as snow Tebow who is vocal about his Christian faith, doesn’t curse and is waiting for marriage.

“No, no — quick glances only from Tim so he could quiz me,” Smith said laughing. “He kept both hands on the wheel the entire time.”

Follow Jets beat writer Kristian Dyer on Twitter @KristianRDyer for live updates from Jets training camp.

CORTLAND, N.Y.

Kristian Dyer@KristianRDyer

Just spoke with Wayne Hunter about bringing in Otah "It is my job to lose."

Hunter said he wasn't surprised by the trade for Otah, that he expected higher profile players coming in earlier this offseason to compete.

More Hunter on Otah: "If anyone is going to beat me it’s not going to be the competition, it’s going to be me. I’m going to beat myself."

Have to like Joe McKnight so far. Definitely bigger but still lools fast.

Tebow with the media. pic.twitter.com/lkxd7RGc

Ay0f9QZCAAIUdfP.jpg

Keyshawn and Tone

Ay0ZtG9CIAMk6Mb.jpg

Schillens is a big boy. pic.twitter.com/gx285b4G

Ay0ZB1hCEAAJbOT.jpg

powered by turkey-icon.pngPhotobucket

Key

Ay0RAAHCYAAuKX8.jpg

Manish's Twit Line from today (in chron order):

Manish Mehta @MMehtaNYDN

First two players to arrive on the practice field for Jets' first practice: Backup longsnapper Derek Chard and QB Matt Simms. #nyj

Today's backpage of the @NYDailyNews features Tim Tebow with three words: http://www.nydailyne.../news/the-week #nyj

Jets starting QB Mark Sanchez comes to training camp in "attack mode." Story here: http://tinyurl.com/crgcmea #nyj

Myers: Rex Ryan tells Santonio Holmes to pipe down on QB controversy between Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow http://tinyurl.com/cgc5kfy #nyj

OT Jeff Otah is doing agility work off to the side. His trade from Panthers won't be official unless he passes physical pic.twitter.com/l919o1O3

Safety LaRon Landry, who was taken off PUP yesterday, is in uniform but working with trainers off to side #nyj

OLB Bryan Thomas (shoulder/Achilles) is participating in position drills. Take a look: #nyj pic.twitter.com/UGjB86lK

GM Mike Tannenbaum chatting with Keyshawn Johnson. Take a look: #nyj pic.twitter.com/MX2Xu2A8

Jets are doing running drills. Sanchez took first-team snaps. Greg McElroy took second-team snaps on this drill #nyj

First play of team drills: Sanchez play action throws deep for Stephen Hill, who makes a diving catch off Revis deflection for 40 yds #Nyj

Tim Tebow lofts a 45 yard td pass to Jeremy Kerley, which was negated by a false start penalty #nyj

Sanchez intercepted by Revis on a deep out in 7 on 7 drills. #nyj

Tim Tebow now working as personal punt protector at practice. Take a look: #nyj pic.twitter.com/uM5PapYy

Final 11 on 11 stats from first practice: Sanchez goes 7 for 8 in 16 snaps with starters. Tebow goes 4 for 5 with 2 rushes in 12 snaps. #nyj

Stats from kicking competition: Nick Folk goes 4 for 4. Josh Brown goes 2 for 4 with misses from 42 and 44. Two 50plus makes

Tony Sparano's message to the offense last night, per Matt Slauson: "We're going to be physical as all get out." #nyj

Jeff Otah is still in limbo until he passes his physical. But he maintains he is "close... Almost there." #nyj

Matt Slauson was told this morning that he'd be rotating reps at left guard with Vlad Ducasse. He is assuming it's a competition. #nyj

Mark Sanchez outshines Tim Tebow @ first Jets training camp practice; left guard competition?; Otah update &more: http://tinyurl.com/ccnhulu #nyj

Rex Ryan presser has been moved to different location. Rex is lost. Now giving 4 writers a lift in his golf cart to new locale. Thanks, Rex!

Press conference just started (live stream on newyorkjets.com):

Kimberley A. Martin@KMart_LI

Rex said he was pleased w/ tempo of practice. Adds, "we will be a tm that's in shape." #nyj

Jane McManus@janesports

Rex Ryan makes clear that practice was not physical, because of potential for NFL fines. So despite appearances, not physical at all.

Jenny Vrentas@JennyVrentas

Rex was pleased with today's tempo. Said they doubled the reps in some periods of practice. #nyj

Rich Cimini@RichCimini

Left guard is officially a competition between Slauson and Ducasse, per Ryan: "Yeah, absolutely, I think it will be a gd competition." #Jet

Manish Mehta @MMehtaNYDN

Rex Ryan says it "will be good competition" at left guard between Slauson and Ducasse. Slauson also playing some backup tackle and center

Jake Steinberg@Steiny31

Rex said the #Jets are going to give Slauson some reps at RT and center. #nyj

Brian Costello@BrianCoz

Rex confirms that LG is a competition. Said Ducasse had a strong spring #summerofvlad

Slauson/Vlad "absolutely" in competition for LG spot, said Rex. Slauson getting reps at RT & C too #nyj

Jane McManus@janesports

Rex confirms that Slauson and Vlad Ducasse will compete. Slauson's surgery recovery opened door for Vlad in offseason.

Dennis Waszak Jr.@DWAZ73

Slauson and Ducasse rotating at LG. Is that a competition? Rex: "Yeah, absolutely." #Jets

Rex said left guard is "absolutely" a competition btwn Slauson and Ducasse. They liked what they saw from Ducasse in spring. #nyj

Rex emphasizing "hidden depth" on off line, guys who can play many spots. Another ex of crossover: they've talked abt Cromartie at WR. #nyj

Jake Steinberg@Steiny31

Rex: "Don't be surprised of Cromartie learns some WR. That's something we've talked about." #nyj

Manish Mehta @MMehtaNYDN

Rex admits that jets have "a better grasp" of sparano's system than they thought at this point

Jane McManus@janesports

Stephen Hill knocked Revis down on a block. Not the best day for the Jets CB. Was foiled on a few banner plays for offense. #Jets

Dennis Waszak Jr.@DWAZ73

RT @judybattista John Mara: "I can't believe so many of you are here. Tebow isn't here."

Damien Woody@damienwoody

Ppl gotta remember....teams WANT their high picks to make it....ESPECIALLY when u don't have many draft picks in the first place

Manish Mehta @MMehtaNYDN

Interesting tidbit from Rex: He says don't be surprised if Antonio Cromartie gets some practice reps at wide receiver.Been discussed already

Jets' plan for Landry was to have him practice "every third day," Rex said. He says biggest challenge is protecting him from himself. #nyj

Dennis Waszak Jr.@DWAZ73

Rex says plan is to have LaRon Landry go full speed every third practice, but they could adjust that as they go along. #Jets

Jane McManus@janesports

And rogue question from Keyshawn Johnson in the gallery! Is Jerry Rice up next?!? (Asks if Tony let's Ryan focus on team, not do much O).

Rex said on first night of camp, he showed team the blueprint he had for the Jets -- when he became head coach in '09. #nyj

As for Landry not practicing, Rex said "sometimes u gotta protect him from himself. He's a full-speed guy." #nyj

Dan Leberfeld@jetswhispers

While Rex will keep Landry on pitch count, he does need work - "He has to make up some ground. He has to learn our defense."

Rex challenged OLine 2 learn more than 1 pos. "Hidden depth" is key in NFL, he said, adding "don't be surprised if Cro learns some WR" #nyj

Jane McManus@janesports

Ryan gives a mixed review for Tebow's performance, said he's working on getting touch on shorter passes, but over thought others.

"I look at myself as the best defensive coach in football," Rex said. Mentioned he might be calling games this year. #nyj

Jake Steinberg@Steiny31

" I look at myself as the best defensive coach in football." - Rex Ryan

Manish Mehta @MMehtaNYDN

Rex: "I look at myself as the best defensive coach in football."

Jane McManus@janesports

Ryan said he will be more involved in defense, that he looks at himself as the best defensive coach in football. #Jets

Dan Leberfeld@jetswhispers

This will make a lot of Jets fans happy, Rex just threw Schotty under the bus. He now has the blueprint he wants on offense.

Jake Steinberg@Steiny31

"I believe in myself. I believe in the men I coach. I believe in the men that coach with me. That's why we're going to be successful. - Rex

Jane McManus@janesports

Ryan said he's an underdog this season, "If it was a spelling bee I'd bet against me, but anything else, a fight..." Ryan said bet on him.

Manish Mehta @MMehtaNYDN

Rex: "If it was a spelling bee, I'd bet against me. If it's anything else - a fight - I'm betting on me" #NYJ

Jake Steinberg@Steiny31

"I'm so encouraged by @Hayden_Smith_. I can't tell you how far he's come mentally. He's got athleticism. He can run, he can catch." Rex Ryan

Friday, July 27, 2012

Practice report: Good start for Sanchez

By Rich Cimini

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- The signature moment in the first practice of training camp occurred on the very first play of team drills -- a 40-yard completion to rookie WR Stephen Hill, who made a diving catch after the ball was tipped by Darrelle Revis.

"Awesome, and right out of the gate, too," said QB Mark Sanchez, who made the throw.

espnny_u_sanchez_d1_200.jpg

Rich Barnes/US PresswireMark Sanchez got the O off to a good start in the Jets' first practice of training camp.

It set a tone for the offense, which looked a lot sharper than it did last month in minicamp. Sanchez took all of the first-team reps, completing seven of eight passes. He looked good, throwing the ball with plenty of velocity. His only hiccup occurred in a 7-on-7 drill, when he misread a coverage and was intercepted by Revis.

Afterward, several players said they were encouraged by the offensive start.

Tim Tebow didn't take any reps with the starters (no surprise there) and he did okay -- 4-for-4, all short passes. Behind the second-team line, he was under heavy pressure and took off three times on scrambles. On one play, coordinator Tony Sparano screamed for him to throw the ball, but Tebow took off anyway. He also received an earful from Sparano when he mishandled a snap in a running-game drill.

TEBOW TIME: Yes, Tebow got some work on special teams. Again, no surprise. He worked as the personal protector on the punt team.

O-LINE NOTES: It looks like there's a little competition at left guard. Incumbent Matt Slauson took most of the reps, but he rotated every third play with Vladimir Ducasse. Slauson also took a couple of reps at right tackle ... Newly-acquired OT Jeff Otah, in trade limbo, arrived in Cortland and watched from the sideline. He can't practice until he passes his physical, and if he doesn't pass within five days, the trade is off ... Rookie RG Robert Griffin left practice with an undisclosed injury; it doesn't appear serious.

KICKING COMPETITION: Nick Folk got an early leg up (pardon the pun) in the kicking battle. Folk made all four FG attempts, from 38 to 46 yards. His competition, Josh Brown, got off to a shaky start. He went 2-for-4, missing from 42 and 44 yards before making from 48 and 52.

JUST LIKE OLD TIMES: Former Jet and current ESPN studio analyst Keyshawn Johnson visited practice and spent a good half hour talking to the media. Some things never change. Johnson believes the Jets have potential on offense, saying Sparano could be the missing ingredient. Johnson is not a fan of former coordinator Brian Schottenheimer.

"Watching from afar, I didn't like what I saw," Johnson said.

Former Jet CB Aaron Glenn, hired as a personnel scout, also was in attendance.

Jets practice report: Slauson faces competition at left guard

11:51 AM, July 27, 2012 ι By BRIAN COSTELLO

The Jets held their first training camp practice this morning. The offense looked good with Mark Sanchez and Santonio Holmes connecting several times.

The most interesting development came not at quarterback, but at left guard where Matt Slauson and Vlad Ducasse alternated with the first team. Slauson started at guard for the last two years after beating out Ducasse in 2010, so it was odd to see.

"It's the first day of camp," Slauson said. "I can't read into it that much. Vlad has been the guy all spring (when Slauson was out with an injury). Obviously, I've got to approach it like a competition. I don't know if there is a real one there, but I have to look at it like that because the second I don't, I might lose it."

Slauson also got some reps at right tackle. He said the coaches told him as he walked out to the field this morning about the rotation at guard and playing some tackle.

"I'm doing what they tell me to," Slauson said. "They tell me to come out, I come out. They say go play tackle, I go play tackle."

QB WATCH: Sanchez completed 7-for-8 passes during team drills and 4-of-8 during 7-on-7 drills with an interception. Tim Tebow went 4-for-4 with a sack in team drills and 4-for-6 in 7-on-7s. Sanchez showed a much better command of the offense. Tebow looked hesitant and indecisive often, holding onto the ball for too long. Tebow had one 40-yard pass to Jeremy Kerley nullified by an illegal procedure penalty on right tackle Stephon Heyer.

PLAY OF THE DAY: It came on the first play. Sanchez threw a long pass down the sideline to rookie Stephen Hill, who was guarded by Darrelle Revis. The All-Pro cornerback tipped the ball up and Hill caught it as he was falling down for about a 40-yard gain.

DEFENSE, DEFENSE: The Jets did run some 4-3 during practice but 3-4 is still their base defense. In the 4-3 looks Mike DeVito and Sione Pouha were the tackles with Muhammad Wilkerson and Quinton Coples at end. Calvin Pace lined up off the ball in a true 4-3 look at times and also on the line in an "under" look.

KICKER WATCH: Nick Folk went 4-for-4 on field goals from 38, 40, 46 and 48 yards. Josh Brown went 2-for-4, making it from 50 and 52 yards, but missing from 42 and 44.

INJURIES: Safety LaRon Landry was in uniform, but did not practice. Rookie guard Robert Griffin exited practice with what looked to be cramping. Tackle Jeff Otah is here, but worked off to the side with trainers along with the other players on the physically unable to perform list.

Archived