Antonio Allen Spurs the Defense with a Pair of Picks

Villain The Foe

First full pads practice and the kid was going off! Looks like he could be earning some snaps with the ones.

http://blog.newyorkjets.com/2012/07/29/allen-spurs-the-defense-with-a-pair-of-picks/

Allen Spurs the Defense with a Pair of Picks Posted by Randy Lange on July 29, 2012 – 12:14 pm

Updated, 3:04 p.m. ET

The “Spur” position at South Carolina is a lot different than what Antonio Allen is now doing on the pro level with the Jets. Nevertheless, the rookie safety showed a lot of giddyup during today’s first full-pads practice of training camp at SUNY Cortland

“Confidence is big, but you can’t get big-headed,” Allen told newyorkjets.com after he came up with a pair of interceptions in this morning’s drills. “I’ve always had a ton of confidence. I just come out here every day to get better and improve on things I need to work on.”

Allen’s first theft was against undrafted free agent QB Matt Simms in 7-on-7′s, when he played his technique nicely against the TE and read Simms’ eyes all the way. His second was in team drills on Greg McElroy, when he “sliced” the wideout’s route in man coverage.

Interestingly, AA said he’s learning from all members of the Jets secondary, not just the safeties, as he continues his higher education.

“I watch Smitty and YB [Yeremiah Bell], and I watch Revis a lot. He’s a corner, but I watch him and how he breaks on the ball and keeps his eyes on his man. He and Cro, they’re very good at what they do and I just try to adjust my technique to some of the things they do.”

Even before the picks, Allen produced a few big hits.

“I always enjoy the first day of pads,” he said of his first full contact as a pro. “I wasn’t really scared because I love to hit all the time. On special teams drills, I think that set me off. As soon as I got in, I got a big hit, and from there it just proceeded to progress.”

Afterwards, Allen conferred with secondary coach Dennis Thurman, who famously led a Cowboys band known as “Thurman’s Thieves.”

“He was just telling me he’ll be more impressed when I get in there with the ones and do what I did today, Allen said. He’s on his way to earning a few reps with the first unit.

How great would it be if we "hit" with one of our late-round safeties. We are over-due for a late-round homerun... long over-due. (Oh, and this isn't me over-reacting to one good practice, just me pondering about good outcomes from the draft...)

How great would it be if we "hit" with one of our late-round safeties. We are over-due for a late-round homerun... long over-due. (Oh, and this isn't me over-reacting to one good practice, just me pondering about good outcomes from the draft...)

I feel you bro. I've said this since the moment the draft was over that I really really like our late round pick ups. I really didnt know much about Coples and I wanted Jeffery over Hill, but I was very impressed with the Jordan White, Antonio Allen, Damario Davis, Terrance Ganaway pick ups.

And as of right now, I think Hill is making me eat my words. Im still looking to watch some Bear games to see how the Jeffery/Marshall tandem plays out, but this Hill kid looks special.

I feel you bro. I've said this since the moment the draft was over that I really really like our late round pick ups. I really didnt know much about Coples and I wanted Jeffery over Hill, but I was very impressed with the Jordan White, Antonio Allen, Damario Davis, Terrance Ganaway pick ups.

And as of right now, I think Hill is making me eat my words. Im still looking to watch some Bear games to see how the Jeffery/Marshall tandem plays out, but this Hill kid looks special.

Jeffry is having a hard time picking up the playbook last I read.

Jeffry is having a hard time picking up the playbook last I read.

I havent had time to check out anything from bears camp. I hope this kid can get it together mentally, because physically the kid is gifted and I've been kinda criticised for this but I think this kid has the best hands coming out of college since Fitzgerald. Im not saying that he's Larry Fitzgerald, but hands wise coming straight out of college, he's up there.

I havent had time to check out anything from bears camp. I hope this kid can get it together mentally, because physically the kid is gifted and I've been kinda criticised for this but I think this kid has the best hands coming out of college since Fitzgerald. Im not saying that he's Larry Fitzgerald, but hands wise coming straight out of college, he's up there.

Jeffrey has a bit of Nicks in him I think. Both were criticized for being fat coming out too.

I think Allen is a guy who was downgraded by much of the league with the 'tweener label because of that "spur" position he played in college, but the way the Jets like to play their safeties, he could be a very good fit here. It's nice to hear about him making plays on defense in camp, but the guy he really needs to impress is Westoff. I hope he does.

I think Allen is a guy who was downgraded by much of the league with the 'tweener label because of that "spur" position he played in college, but the way the Jets like to play their safeties, he could be a very good fit here. It's nice to hear about him making plays on defense in camp, but the guy he really needs to impress is Westoff. I hope he does.

Agree, which is why I actually saw one of the parts of this article to be most optimistic about was him actually bringing up special teams himself and that it seems they've had him working there since day one.

It would be great to know this kid can play. I don't trust Landry to stay healthy and Bell isn't exactly the best at being a center fielder. Maybe this kid will turn out to be an effective starter one day.

Archived