Cimini article on the Jets and Curtis Martin

faba

Jets face life

without Curtis

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Curtis Martin wears civvies to a game for first time in 7 years Sunday, an unsettling signal to Jets that Martin era is on last legs.

This is what a seven-game losing streak feels like in the NFL:

"It was like walking down a dark tunnel and you didn't have a flashlight," Herm Edwards said yesterday. "You knew you were eventually going to get to the end of it, but you didn't know when."

"When" came Sunday, with a 26-10 victory over the dysfunctional Raiders. Now, in a different sort of way, the Jets are entering another black hole (no Raiders pun intended).

With Curtis Martin sitting out the final three games with a knee injury, and with his days as the undisputed feature back likely over, the Jets could be embarking on the post-Curtis era.

Once again, they don't have a flashlight. This time, it's a journey into the unknown. And that has to be an uneasy thought for the organization.

For nearly eight seasons, Martin has been the nucleus of the Jets' offense, productive and dependable. Of the team's 39,277 total yards in that span, he's responsible for 32%. If there was a game, he was there - until Sunday, when his Iron Man streak of 119 straight games played was snapped.

Now there are questions: Can the 32-year-old running back, scheduled for arthroscopic surgery tomorrow to repair cartilage damage in his right knee, return to his pre-injury form? Will he play for the Jets in 2006? If so, in what role? What about his enormous contract?

"I anticipate that he's coming back," Edwards said. "Those are things you talk about in the offseason, but I anticipate Curtis Martin being back on this football team."

Martin said Sunday he wants to play in 2006 - "without a doubt." First, there's the matter of his contract. He's due to make $6.2 million in salary (cap figure: $8.1 million), and he likely will be asked to renegotiate. In other words, take a pay cut.

It's conceivable that Martin could return as the starter, but there's little doubt he will face serious competition, probably from a high draft pick. The Jets probably played themselves out of the Reggie Bush sweepstakes by beating the Raiders, but with a top-five pick, they could have a crack at the second-rated back, probably Memphis' De Angelo Williams.

Ideally, the Jets would like to pair Martin with a young stud, letting the future Hall of Famer groom his heir apparent. It's worth noting that Edwards was an assistant coach in Kansas City when the Chiefs did that with an aging Marcus Allen, who squeezed out a few productive seasons in a mentor role for first-rounders Harvey Williams and Greg Hill.

Martin's health issue shouldn't be minimized. Although it's not a major operation - at least that's what the Jets are saying - it's still surgery on a 32-year-old knee. Asked if Martin's age adds uncertainty to his post-surgical prognosis, Edwards said, "If you asked me to bet, I'd bet on Curtis Martin."

Meanwhile, the Jets will continue to take a long look at rookie Cedric Houston and B.J. Askew. Starting for Martin, Houston ran 28 times for only 74 yards, a 2.6 average. He received a mixed review from Edwards.

"At times, he wasn't as patient as we'd have liked him to be," Edwards said, "but for the most part, he did a good job."

Askew, in his first extended opportunity, replaced Houston in the fourth quarter and bulled his way for 54 yards on nine attempts. He'd love the chance to be the featured runner, but he's being stereotyped as a fullback.

"I don't think he's a natural tailback," said Edwards, who gave Askew a scared-straight lecture last week about missing too much time due to injuries.

The Jets are spoiled; they had Curtis Martin for 119 straight games.

WAIT ON WAYNE: WR Wayne Chrebet, on injured reserve with a concussion, isn't expected to make any formal announcements regarding his future until after the season. Chrebet, who has suffered at least nine concussions in his career, is planning to retire. He visited the team at its hotel Saturday night, appearing in good spirits. ... DE Shaun Ellis (hamstring) and DT Dewayne Robertson (thigh) could be iffy for Sunday's game in Miami. ... Edwards jokingly referred to QB Brooks Bollinger as Michael Vick III. Bollinger ran for 56 yards against the Raiders, a Jets record for a quarterback. ... Instead of lightening the workload amid the rash of injuries, the Jets have been practicing in pads for the last six weeks, according to Edwards. "Going back to basic football because we had so many young guys playing," he said. ... Backup RB Derrick Blaylock (foot), sidelined since Week 2, has begun practicing on a limited basis.

What has Askew done to get him on the wrong side of Herm?

Askew, in his first extended opportunity, replaced Houston in the fourth quarter and bulled his way for 54 yards on nine attempts. He'd love the chance to be the featured runner, but he's being stereotyped as a fullback.

"I don't think he's a natural tailback," said Edwards, who gave Askew a scared-straight lecture last week about missing too much time due to injuries.

I guess Herm would of never played the Bus at tailback.

=D>=D>=D>

But I don't think that would ever happen.

If Hermy is back and CuMar the starter, Savage would blow a gasket before he could be a mod.

It would be great though. If you post something that is Herm neutral, it gets deleted. A Herm positive post would get you banned.

It would be great though. If you post something that is Herm neutral, it gets deleted. A Herm positive post would get you banned.

Number 1 I've turned down being a Mod on more then 1 Board already! Number 2 I like the delusional Hermophiles and Martinette's to spew their Garbage! It makes for alot of Fun for those that have a Brain! When the Iron Chef and the Legend are gone the Jets will make a Supe Run with a real Coach and a good young back! And the Real Coach will get his QB not have it handed to him like the BBQ man did! Sadly that may be some years away! :cry:

What in the hell do you have to do to get into Herm's doghouse? I find this hysterical. Reports say he is not a discplinarian when it comes to working out and does not crack down too hard on meetings. So what the hell is it? they try too hard in practice?

Archived