I always wondered how X-mas is celebrated overseas

AFJF

Dec 17, 11:39 PM EST

Santas go on rampage in New Zealand city

WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) -- A group of 40 people dressed in Santa Claus costumes, many of them drunk, rampaged through New Zealand's largest city, robbing stores and assaulting security guards, police said Sunday.

The rampage, dubbed "Santarchy" by local newspapers, began early Saturday afternoon when the men, wearing ill-fitting Santa costumes, threw beer bottles and urinated on cars from an Auckland overpass, said Auckland Central Police spokeswoman Noreen Hegarty.

She said the men then rushed through a central city park, overturning garbage containers, throwing bottles at passing cars and spraying graffiti on buildings.

One man climbed the mooring line of a cruise ship before being ordered down by the captain. Other Santas, objecting when the man was arrested, attacked security staff, Hegarty said.

The remaining Santas entered a downtown convenience store and carried off beer and soft drinks.

"They came in, said 'Merry Christmas' and then helped themselves," store owner Changa Manakynda said.

Alex Dyer, a spokesman for the group, said Santarchy was a worldwide movement designed to protest the commercialization of Christmas.

Three people were arrested and charged with drunkenness and disorderly behavior

If that were in the states, particularily California and the other "Blue" states, the Sants would have been arrested for not saying "Happy Holidays".

Just curious. You live in a "blue" state, how many people have you arrested for not saying happy holidays?

If that were in the states, particularily California and the other "Blue" states, the Sants would have been arrested for not saying "Happy Holidays".

God how true. The PC crap is killing us.

My sister is over in Germany right now stationed on an AF base. I just finished emailing her to ask how Xmas preparations and celebrations were different. I imagine there must be a lot more orthodox Christian and traditional things going on this time of the year. I am looking forward to hearing what she has to say. I'm also jealous- I would love to see what Europe is like around Christmas.

It looks like her head is in a box

Great movie.

Look, I'm sure if you go active duty, you can live on base housing but as a reservist I don't think that is an option. Anyway don't settle for being a pogue. America needs you in Ramadi right now, not stuck behind some desk in Fort Sill. You know what you have to do. Now do it.

Later

Peach

As a native Kiwi (New Zealander) and an Aussie citizen to boot I will let you all in on a little secret:

The Holiday season is the beginning of summer and most people have 2 or 3 weeks off. We like to drink and drink a lot. It is our holiday "tradition"

No that I condone drunken Santas but I find it very funny.

Archived