KC Chiefs locking up their best players

faba

The Kansas City Chiefs reached agreement on five-year contracts with receiver Dwayne Bowe and punter Dustin Colquitt on Monday, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

AFC West blog

ESPN.com's Bill Williamson writes about all things AFC West in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

{C}

The five-year agreements with Bowe and Colquitt allowed the Chiefs to use their franchise tag on left tackle Branden Albert.

Bowe tweeted his thanks to the Chiefs on Monday afternoon.

"On vacation till I got the call that changed my life. I wanna thank the Hunt Family & the Chiefs organization," he wrote.

Colquitt is the highest-paid punter in NFL with his agreement, worth $18.75 million deal over five seasons, including $8.9 million guaranteed, according to a league source.

The Chiefs announced Colquitt's extension, but didn't disclose terms of the contract.

"John and I knew right away that we'd like to keep Dustin in a Chiefs uniform," coach Andy Reid said in a statement. "He's worked hard at his craft and has become one of the best punters in the NFL. He's got a strong leg and the ability to pin opponents deep in their own territory. We are happy we were able to come to an agreement."

The Chiefs said they would continue to negotiate on a long-term contract with Albert.

"Today was the league's deadline to designate a franchise player and we felt it was in the best interest of the Kansas City Chiefs to place the tag on Branden," general manager John Dorsey said in a statement announcing the move. "We will continue to negotiate with Branden and his agent to reach a deal that is mutually beneficial. We are looking forward to working with Branden in the near future."

Bowe was placed on injured reserve with a rib injury in December, finishing the 2012 season with 59 catches for 801 yards and three touchdown receptions.

He played last season on a $9.5 million deal as the team's franchise player.

Bowe, 28, had his best season in 2010, when he was voted to the Pro Bowl after catching 72 passes for 1,162 yards and a league-high 15 touchdowns.

He has caught 415 passes for 5,728 yards and 39 touchdowns in his six-year career.

The 28-year-old Albert has played in 73 games for Kansas City, including 71 starts.

The Chiefs drafted Albert 15th overall in the 2008 draft.

The 30-year-old Colquitt had 42 punts inside the opponents 20-yard line last season, just two short of the NFL record of 44.

He was selected to his first Pro Bowl last season and is ranked 18th all-time with a 44.7 average on his punts.

Information from ESPN.com AFC West blogger Bill Williamson and The Associated Press was used in this report.

Archived