Garrard is signed

Joe Jets fan

I'm not sure what people expected.  They like to assume anybody but Sanchez is better, but Garrard was a guy who really had one good season  and hasn't played since 2010.  If he's healthy, great, lets see what happens.

Well then, that makes his last season he played healthy he was a pro bowler.  Not like he had a broken wing like Chad either.  Sounds like the best we can do given our current cap situation. Sign me up.

Garrard went in 2010.  By then, Jimmy was already getting arrested for multiple drug charges.   

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

David Garrard says injuries are in past; ready to compete with Mark Sanchez

By Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger
on March 12, 2013 at 1:30 PM, updated March 12, 2013 at 2:15 PM

David Garrard wouldn't say he's going to win the Jets quarterback competition outright, but after two years of battling back and knee injuries, he's ready to make a run for it. The team, during their introductory meetings, made it clear there was an open competition.

"I expect to go out and compete and try to help the team out in any way," Garrard said. "This is a team sport and it's not just me and the other quarterbacks, it's everybody pulling together."

Although offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg said that Mark Sanchez has a slight leg up in the battle, Garrard said he "wasn't sure" if there was any advantage just yet. Although Sanchez has the familiarity, Garrard, a career 62 percent passer and a favorite to be the Dolphins starter last year before an injury, said he is back to 100 percent health-wise.

"I felt like I came back great from the back there was no issues, I was really battling down there (In Miami 2012) and having a lot of fun just doing what I do and then my knee starts creeping up on me with a little swelling...but my knee is great now I've moved on from that. I've climbed that hill. I'm just really excited to get back into the league," he said.

Garrard, a Plainfield native, had a chance to meet with Sanchez during his visit with the Jets and the two talked about mutual friend Mark Brunell. Garrard thought that Sanchez came away from the meeting the same way he did; with respect for his competition.

"He seems to be an upstanding guy and I think he feels the same for me," Garrard said. "This game, sports are all about competition and I understand that and I believe he understands that. I'm always going to be a great teammate."

I didn't know anything about David Garrard aside from his being a sometimes starter on lack-luster teams.  My comment on your math was based on your statistics which were preceded by the word, "probably".  I stand by my 77% joke, but I didn't mean anything by it.

Anyway, I got more time to actually look into the argument you made.  Initially I didn't really care because it's David Friggin Garrard.  But here's what I came away with.  

Garrard was drafted in the 4th round in 2002.  Typically speaking, 4th round QBs aren't drafted for their immediate value to a team; they're considered developmental prospects, back-ups.  Garrard was no different.  But this doesn't speak to his health. 

In 2003, the year after he was drafted to be Mark Brunell's back-up, Tom Coughlin was fired...and the new GM drafted Byron Leftwich with the 7th overall pick. Typically speaking, top-ten QBs ARE drafted for their immediate value to a team.  As such, Garrard was comfortable remaining in a back-up capacity. 

(So far, two years have gone by, and Garrard's health has not been the limiting factor to his playing time)

In 2004, Garrard was diagnosed with Crohn's disease.  He lost 12-inches of his intestines but was still able to play back-up to Byron Leftwich, in fact playing with a sprained left knee in week-9.  Following the season, he decided to stay in Jacksonville.  I don't know why.  He could have tested FA, but he was happy with his situation so he stayed.  

In 2005, his 4th year in the league, Garrard got his first real opportunity to showcase his talent.  A Leftwich injury in week-11 forced Garrard into action, and he finished out the season with a 4-1 record leading his team into the playoffs.  Leftwich returned to start in the Wild Card game and lost to the Patriots.  

In 2006, Jack Del Rio named Garrard the starter in week-8.  He finished out the season 5-5.

In 2007, Del Rio named Byron Leftwich the undisputed starter in attempt to avoid a QB controversy.  However, he was so outplayed by David Garrard in the preseason, that Del Rio made the QB swap before starting the season.  DG went on to an 11-5 season, throwing 18 TDs to only 3 ints (tying an NFL record for QB rating).  This was despite missing three weeks with an ankle sprain.   

(Tally so far, 6 years in the league... missed only 3 games due to injury despite having Crohn's disease)

In 2008 post-season action, Garrard lead his team to victory over the Steelers in the Wild Card Playoff game...only to lose to the unbeaten Patriots the following week.  

That offseason he was signed to a 6 year, $60M extension.  

2008, 2009, and 2010 saw marked regression from the team as a whole.  An injury plagued O-line did no favors for David Garrard, and watched him lead them to 5-11, 7-9, and 8-8 seasons...Though his play continued to improve each year, earning him a Pro Bowl berth in 2010.

2011, marked the beginning of the Blaine Gabbert experiment.  Garrard was promised the starting job despite Gabbert's high draft status, but the faithful Jag was released before the start of the season. Despite receiving interest from the Colts, Dolphins and Raiders...Garrard opted instead to repair a herniated disk and take the year off to recover.   

In 2012, Garrard signed with the Dolphins as the favorite to start, but missed the preseason after undergoing arthroscopic surgery.  

(Final count: Garrard elected to miss the last 2 years, and had previously only missed 3 games with an ankle injury)

He's been to a pro bowl, and has playoff experience.  All things considered, I would say that this old man is pretty tough, plays through injury and can be an asset to our team on or off the bench.  

By just stating some facts - you've actually built a case for some optimism here. If DG can stay healthy and despite his history there's some chance he could, he may be able to provide middle of the road to solid QBacking. Which is something we certainly weren't counting on for the foreseeable future. A couple of quicker LB's and resigning our corners and safety's and maybe we're off the dung pile next season. Not saying final 4 - but not a laughingstock either. 

Wow, what a complete load of nonsense.  This entire article is taking an article that was already written yesterday, then adding in something that happened after the fact, and trying to draw a completely baseless association between the two.  Besides, Mornhinweg never once said that Sanchez was the starter, simply that he likely had an advantage over his competition (which, at the time, did not include Garrard).  These writers are hitting new levels of desperation.

I'm just wondering who the "select few" that have earned the starting jobs are?  I'd guess Brick and Mangold.  I'm not sure there is a single other player I would not expect serious competition.

I'm just wondering who the "select few" that have earned the starting jobs are?  I'd guess Brick and Mangold.  I'm not sure there is a single other player I would not expect serious competition.

Outside of those two, Holmes has definitely got a starting job locked up, and I guess in a manner of speaking you could consider Kerley having a starting job locked up as well, as the slot WR.  Beyond that, Howard's probably as close as anyone else on offense could be, and yet I doubt they'd hesitate to give someone else the nod over him if they outperform him in camp/preseason.

Outside of those two, Holmes has definitely got a starting job locked up, and I guess in a manner of speaking you could consider Kerley having a starting job locked up as well, as the slot WR.  Beyond that, Howard's probably as close as anyone else on offense could be, and yet I doubt they'd hesitate to give someone else the nod over him if they outperform him in camp/preseason.

I'm not really buying on Holmes or Kerley. Sure Kerley is probably the slot guy, but I'm sure the team is hoping Hill beats one or both out. Holmes really burned a bunch of bridges as far as I'm concerned and has to prove that he is healthy.  I agree those guys are almost certainly starters, but I think they will keep the idea of competition alive for those spots to keep the pressure on Holmes and hopefully keep him in line.

By just stating some facts - you've actually built a case for some optimism here. If DG can stay healthy and despite his history there's some chance he could, he may be able to provide middle of the road to solid QBacking. Which is something we certainly weren't counting on for the foreseeable future. A couple of quicker LB's and resigning our corners and safety's and maybe we're off the dung pile next season. Not saying final 4 - but not a laughingstock either. 

The problem with the entire story is that as well has he has played at times,  he always is passed over due to injury or some other whatever reason.   

He's now 35, hasn't played since 2010,  and has to compete with Sanchez.  

I'm sure the Jets would love to trade Sanchez away and you really don't do that if he's a bench warmer.    I mean they are holding onto Tebow hoping to trade him away. And this was after making the guy utterly worthless because of the way they handled him.   He isn't an NFL QB, but at least after his time in Denver, the Broncos got a couple of draft picks for him and a few teams were interested.   Now nobody is and he never even played all season.

If Sanchez wins the starting job and stinks, some dumb team might still trade for him.     Right now nobody would trade for him.  And if he doesn't even play next season, nobody would trade for him.     But if he beats out his competition and starts for most or half the season, suddenly there is some worth.     

to all your research geeks, please do not list all the old timers that retired after a probowl season.  dood is 35, that is the new 29 in QB years.

According to who?     Peyton Manning was the only starting QB in the NFL last year who was 35.

Archived