Jay Cutler playing last year of his contract most likely

faba

Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler said Wednesday it appears he'll be entering the 2013 season on the last year of his contract instead of landing an extension.

{C}{C}

ESPNChicago.com Bears blog

Get the latest from ESPN Chicago.
Bears blog »

Greatest Bears photo.png | Urlacher's career photo.png

"Yeah, I think that's probably the way we're headed," Cutler said on "The Waddle & Silvy Show" on ESPN 1000. "We haven't really talked about anything.

"We're upgrading in certain positions and I don't think we're really in position to do my deal. But like I said, (general manager Phil Emery) has a plan worked out, so we'll just have to see what happens. But I'm perfectly comfortable in the situation I'm in, and if we go into it with just this last year, then so be it. I'll play it out and we'll see what happens."

The Bears extended Cutler after acquiring him in a trade with the Denver Broncos before the 2009 season. The extension was worked out during the season and Cutler has said he'll never do that again, preferring to negotiate during the offseason.

Cutler said Wednesday he'd love to stay with the Bears, and he lauded the free-agent acquisitions of offensive tackle Jermon Bushrod and tight end Martellus Bennett on Tuesday.

Asked if he'll feel more pressure playing on the last year of his deal, Cutler said: "Being a quarterback, and there are a lot of teams out there if it doesn't work out.

"I want to stay here, I love the situation I'm in. I look at it as the opportunity as a whole. Coach (Marc) Trestman coming in, Phil doing the best possible job to upgrade the entire team, offensively us getting better, a new system, I think there's enough on my plate to kind of keep my mind occupied without having to worry about my deal."

The Bears' offensive woes were one of the reasons Emery cited in firing Lovie Smith and hiring Trestman. And after the signings on Tuesday, there's bound to be more pressure on the Bears' offense to produce like one of the top 10 units in the league.

"Ideally, yeah. It always doesn't work out like that," Cutler said. "I'm not going to guess what happens in the future. I think we're getting the pieces in place.

"Coach Trestman and his offense, I'm really excited about it, I think the guys will be really excited about it. Our approach to the offense and just the intensity we're going to approach each and every day. We're getting the pieces talent-wise around everybody. The defense is going to be really good once again and the special teams will be there as well. It's all about getting hot in December and making a push into the playoffs. So we have to stay healthy and some things have to fall our way. But I think Phil and everyone involved is doing everything possible to put us in a position to be successful. "

Archived