9) Tavon Austin

31) Alec Ogletree

34) Margus Hunt

39) Zach Ertz

Mock Without trade to SF

9) Tavon Austin

13) Jarvis Jones

39) Zach Ertz

In the later rounds I would think/like to see the Jets get Christine Michael/Zac Dysert or one of the QB prospects. I like all of the QB prospects about the same so whoever drops to the third round would be fine. Also, I think Phili will draft Austin at 4 - but I'm hopefull he lasts until 9. We could really use a playmaker. I also could see a scenerio where we trade with SF and get Ogletree and Jones. Rex will find a way to use these guys fo sho.

I'd be pretty happy with these drafts.  The only point of contention that I have is, Hunt.  Not that I dont like him as a prospect, I do, but I think with Mo Wilk and Coples that taking Hunt would be unwise for a team with so many holes.

In that spot, I'd prefer maybe a Guard or a S, should be some solid players right there.

I'd be pretty happy with these drafts.  The only point of contention that I have is, Hunt.  Not that I dont like him as a prospect, I do, but I think with Mo Wilk and Coples that taking Hunt would be unwise for a team with so many holes.

In that spot, I'd prefer maybe a Guard or a S, should be some solid players right there.

Good Point. I like Hunt and I agree that he is similar to Coples and Mo Wilk - but I also think you could get all three on the field most downs. Esp with a guy like Ogletree who could play such great coverage and rush the passer well. You could play a 3-4 and a 4-3 with the same personnel  I feel Hunt could play NT with his size or Mo Wilk could. Not on short yardage - but just about every other down and distance.

Where does Alex Ogletree play and how long before he pops another DWI or for something else?

I've already given my opinion about Austin so no need to rehash that. Suffice it to say I'm not a fan of either of your drafts.

That's fine bro. I'm assuming Ogletree's character checks out. As far as where he plays, his frame will allow him to gain weight if needed, he is just as big as the other pass rushers and he has super coverage skills. Look at the tape and you will see he is just as big as Jones is. He has the cat-like pass rushing skills and frame that you look for in an OLB. None of the other guys in the draft have that. Remember too that we need to be a versatile defense. Ogletree can cover TE's and rush the passer.

As far as Austin goes, he is the fastest guy I have seen on tape since Deon Sanders. JMHO. I don't love his size either - but we need someone like him on offense.

Where does Alex Ogletree play and how long before he pops another DWI or for something else?

I've already given my opinion about Austin so no need to rehash that. Suffice it to say I'm not a fan of either of your drafts.

Just curious, what are you a fan of?  I've seen you knock just about every prospect but I dont think I've seen your wish list.  Who do you want at 9 and 13...other than Eifert.  lulz.

Good Point. I like Hunt and I agree that he is similar to Coples and Mo Wilk - but I also think you could get all three on the field most downs. Esp with a guy like Ogletree who could play such great coverage and rush the passer well. You could play a 3-4 and a 4-3 with the same personnel  I feel Hunt could play NT with his size or Mo Wilk could. Not on short yardage - but just about every other down and distance.

Thats a good point...but I dont think the Jets have the luxury of drafting a player that high that is only going to be used in sub-sets.  Rex does deploy a lot of 4 man fronts but again, he'd be a situational player for a team desperate for starters.  

And I think Hunts a little to tall and light to play NT.  DT, sure.  NT, I think he'd have a hard time.  But a 4 man front of Hunt, Coples, Ellis, Mo Wilk - would be nasty.  I'll give you that.  

That's fine bro. I'm assuming Ogletree's character checks out. As far as where he plays, his frame will allow him to gain weight if needed, he is just as big as the other pass rushers and he has super coverage skills. Look at the tape and you will see he is just as big as Jones is. He has the cat-like pass rushing skills and frame that you look for in an OLB. None of the other guys in the draft have that. Remember too that we need to be a versatile defense. Ogletree can cover TE's and rush the passer.

As far as Austin goes, he is the fastest guy I have seen on tape since Deon Sanders. JMHO. I don't love his size either - but we need someone like him on offense.

So draft Ogletree a former safety who moved to middle linebacker to add weight and move outside and hope he retains the speed he needs to cover and pursue the QB plus hope his character flaws disappear? I'd rather just draft an actual DE/OLB prospect who has no character flaws.

I think we already have an Austin type in Kerley so I think drafting him would be redundant. I would rather draft a WR in round 2 or 3 who is over 6 foot and knows how run routes and use his body properly (that means not Patterson either).

Just curious, what are you a fan of? I've seen you knock just about every prospect but I dont think I've seen your wish list. Who do you want at 9 and 13...other than Eifert. lulz.

My number one wish is for Dion Jordan to fall to 9. I don't think that happens so my next wish would be to trade down from nine into the 20s and pick up extra picks. Picking there you could take a guard or an OLB and it would make more sense. At 13 I would take Eifert or what until that second pick to take him if you think he's going to be there.

It really depends on how the board falls. There are a few prospects I don't really particularly want but I cheer for the team and will rely on the decision makers who know way more than me to make those decisions.

Just curious, what are you a fan of?  I've seen you knock just about every prospect but I dont think I've seen your wish list.  Who do you want at 9 and 13...other than Eifert.  lulz.

Thats a good point...but I dont think the Jets have the luxury of drafting a player that high that is only going to be used in sub-sets.  Rex does deploy a lot of 4 man fronts but again, he'd be a situational player for a team desperate for starters.  

And I think Hunts a little to tall and light to play NT.  DT, sure.  NT, I think he'd have a hard time.  But a 4 man front of Hunt, Coples, Ellis, Mo Wilk - would be nasty.  I'll give you that.  

You are probably right about Hunt at NT. That is a great point. I do think that it may be best that we run a base 4-3 or 46 at this point anyway with Coples and Wilk. Then Hunt plays almost every down - with Hunt Coples and Wilk at DL on passing downs.

My number one wish is for Dion Jordan to fall to 9. I don't think that happens so my next wish would be to trade down from nine into the 20s and pick up extra picks. Picking there you could take a guard or an OLB and it would make more sense. At 13 I would take Eifert or what until that second pick to take him if you think he's going to be there.

It really depends on how the board falls. There are a few prospects I don't really particularly want but I cheer for the team and will rely on the decision makers who know way more than me to make those decisions.

Fair enough.  Seems smart.  Jordan is my #1 on my wish list too but seems highly unlikely.

I'm not a huge fan of drafting TE's in the 1st round.  I posted it in another thread, but they nearly never live up the first round billing.  And I think this is a fairly deep TE class.  

I too want more picks.  Think we all do.  Hopefully there's a trading partner. 

I like Jordan too, but I dont think he will fall. Austin is not Jeremy Kerley at all. No offense to Kerley - but Austin is just a lot faster. Eifert brings back memories of Kyle Brady - I don't want any of these TE's that high in the draft. In the 20's, maybe.

I think if either guard is there at 9 we'll take him.

I'm confident both will be.  I'm starting to warm up to a little bit.  Still would wait and take a guy like Warford or Winters in the 3rd but could stomach it if it happens.

Scott Pioli brought up a great point last night about the way teams look to pressure QB's these days and how the double A gap blitz is one of the favorites of DC's around the league and also happens to be the area that most pressure comes from that injures your QB.  I cant quote it exactly but the amount of sacks the come up the middle as opposed the edge, yadayada, and how those sacks lead to more turnovers because the pressure is in your face as opposed to coming from an angle you can avoid.  It was a solid point and made me warm up some more to the idea of Cooper or Warmack. 

I'm confident both will be.  I'm starting to warm up to a little bit.  Still would wait and take a guy like Warford or Winters in the 3rd but could stomach it if it happens.

Scott Pioli brought up a great point last night about the way teams look to pressure QB's these days and how the double A gap blitz is one of the favorites of DC's around the league and also happens to be the area that most pressure comes from that injures your QB.  I cant quote it exactly but the amount of sacks the come up the middle as opposed the edge, yadayada, and how those sacks lead to more turnovers because the pressure is in your face as opposed to coming from an angle you can avoid.  It was a solid point and made me warm up some more to the idea of Cooper or Warmack. 

I'm with you on this one too. LOL. I was against it until I read that Sean Payton credits his offense to his great guard play. Because the quickest way to a QB is up the middle, great guard play is key to offenses now, whether it be going outside on a screen or knocking a DL down to allow the QB to throw over the middle easier. When I looked into it more, Seatle, NO, NE, SF, all claim that OG is more important to the offenses success than OT is in todays game. So yeah, I like guard at 9 too.

I'm with you on this one too. LOL. I was against it until I read that Sean Payton credits his offense to his great guard play. Because the quickest way to a QB is up the middle, great guard play is key to offenses now, whether it be going outside on a screen or knocking a DL down to allow the QB to throw over the middle easier. When I looked into it more, Seatle, NO, NE, SF, all claim that OG is more important to the offenses success than OT is in todays game. So yeah, I like guard at 9 too.

Thats the problem.  I dont.  lol...but I'm starting to warm up to it.  Maybe partially because I think its very likely but also because of the reasons you stated.  Lots of teams contribute guard play to their offensive success.

My biggest issue is, Cooper or Warmack vs. Warford or Winters.  Are those guys really that much better...I mean, clearly they are because you never hear about guards going top 10 and this year potentially 2 could but are they going to impact the game that much more than those other names?  

Like say you broke it down by percentages and we take Iupati as the best guard in the biz.  If Iupati grades out at 100, where are Warmack and Cooper going to fall...say they grade out at 95.  Awesome!  We scored.  But what if Warford or Winters end up with a 85-90.  Does that extra 5-10 points matter that much to pass on other solid prospect that the team desperately needs?  I dunno.

Giving it a try.

Mock with a trade to SF

9) Tavon Austin

31) Alec Ogletree

34) Margus Hunt

39) Zach Ertz

Mock Without trade to SF

9) Tavon Austin

13) Jarvis Jones

39) Zach Ertz

In the later rounds I would think/like to see the Jets get Christine Michael/Zac Dysert or one of the QB prospects. I like all of the QB prospects about the same so whoever drops to the third round would be fine. Also, I think Phili will draft Austin at 4 - but I'm hopefull he lasts until 9. We could really use a playmaker. I also could see a scenerio where we trade with SF and get Ogletree and Jones. Rex will find a way to use these guys fo sho.

Austin to Philly at 4.  Interesting.  Stranger things have happened. 

Austin to Philly at 4.  Interesting.  Stranger things have happened. 

I think its a very strong possibility as he fits what they want to do on offense. Maclin, D Jax and Austin would be a complete nightmare to cover.

Archived