Jets Options With Santonio Holmes – PUP List Explained

JetNation

Hate on Santonio all you want, but the Jets need to keep him this year for a bunch of reasons. First, his guaranteed contract makes him impossible to move. Second, he's still the best receiver on the Jets - by far.

And what I think is most important, third, he's in a best behavior year. The Jets can cut him after the season and achieve over $8M in cap savings. Or they can push a paycut ultimatum at him. Either way, Holmes is in a position where there's just no way he sees the $8M type annual salaries remaining on his current deal -or any future deal, anywhere- unless he gets his sh*t together on and off the field this season.

If the foot gets right, I expect him to be an asset.

I'm so encouraged to find out that our best receiver by far is now not ready to play or practice and is being placed on the Physically Unable To Play list 10 months after the injury occurred.

Do you suppose we might want to take a strong look at alternatives?  I mean just on the infinitesimally tiny chance that Santonio Holmes never does come back to play near his old level, or even play at all.

Which one represents your true feelings?  Is it one of these or is this just one of your usual whatever the Jets did was wrong comments?

Trade the D-bag the second he's upright.

I'm gonna bet that Santonio is in a great big rush to get back and help the team win, even after that team pinned him down and made him take a pay cut.

Which one represents your true feelings? Is it one of these or is this just one of your usual whatever the Jets did was wrong comments?

I'm still working through the tape to find all the things the Jets do right. Look for my lengthy blog entry later this week.

FWIW, Jason tweeted that he sees a scenario in which the Jets might not even want Holmes to play this year, citing the severity of the injury and the liability the Jets would incur if Holmes goes down again. They get to wipe their hands of him next year, and they're not trying to compete this year. Why put yourself on the hook for Holmes? Does anyone really want to put him in a huddle with Geno Smith at the end of a bad, lame-duck year, in which (assuming Sanchez starts), his stats will look like crap? Recipe for disaster.

I'm gonna bet that Santonio is in a great big rush to get back and help the team win, even after that team pinned him down and made him take a pay cut.

If Santonio can play this year, he's going to play well and play well with others. Not because he gives a rat's ass about the Jets, but because he cares deeply about his next paycheck. That pay cut he just took will be further motivation. The $8+M dangling in front of him in 2014 another reminder of what he's capable of earning.

If he pulls his cancer shtick, he'll be looking at a fraction of this year's reduced pay for the rest of his career.

If Santonio can play this year, he's going to play well and play well with others. Not because he gives a rat's ass about the Jets, but because he cares deeply about his next paycheck. That pay cut he just took will be further motivation. The $8+M dangling in front of him in 2014 another reminder of what he's capable of earning.

If he pulls his cancer shtick, he'll be looking at a fraction of this year's reduced pay for the rest of his career.

I'd think he knows that the only man who would give him $8 mil per no longer works in the NFL. He really has two routes to getting another significant deal:

Route One--he comes out Game One, plays hard, catches 70 balls, and looks the part of a solid #2.

Or, Route Two: He waits until he's 100% healthy, takes the field for the last month, and shows the league that he can still run and, even though he'll have only caught 20 balls, it was because of the putrid offense around him.

Given that the O is going to be awful, and given that it seems unlikely that he'll be 100% for the start of the season, Holmes might be better off not limping his way to another 50 catch season, all the while biting his tongue about Sanchez and Geno ruining his future job prospects. Even if he was completely healthy, it's unlikely that he'd be able to put up the type of numbers that would earn him anything more than a 2 year deal somewhere else. The league knows who Holmes is; they know what he does, and what he's capable of. Remember--he was traded for a fifth rounder when he was in his prime. He's going to

be 30 next year and he just fleeced the Jets for $50 mil. There might not be a "good Santonio" anymore.

FWIW, Jason tweeted that he sees a scenario in which the Jets might not even want Holmes to play this year, citing the severity of the injury and the liability the Jets would incur if Holmes goes down again.

What liability would that be?  If the doctor clears him to play, how would the Jets be on the hook?

What liability would that be? If the doctor clears him to play, how would the Jets be on the hook?

You'd have to ask Jason, but I believe that if Holmes gets hurt again this year and doesn't play again, the Jets are on the hook for his 2014 salary.

You'd have to ask Jason, but I believe that if Holmes gets hurt again this year and doesn't play again, the Jets are on the hook for his 2014 salary.

'

Probably guaranteed against injury.

He doesn't have to expect $8M/year   If he wants $3 or 4M/year he'll behave.  Look at Braylon Edwards.  Do you think Holmes wants to end up like that?  Begging on a one year at the vet min? 

I just want to give a big thank you to Dennis for his articles on the ins and outs of the PUP and the contract offset language/rookie negotiations.  This reporting, not the circus drama about Sanchez's drinking videos in Napa Valley, is the kind of relevant detail I'd love to see the beat writers engage in more often.  Keep up the great work Dennis, it's why Jetnation is my #1 go to source for all news Jets.

Archived