Good read from Jets Cap: Post Game Thoughts: Jets vs Jaguars

LIJetsFan

I highlighted some of the stuff I found interesting:

http://nyjetscap.com/2013_Post/jetsjaguarspost.html

With QB Geno Smith injured, Mark Sanchez received the opportunity to showcase his skills against the Jaguars for an extended period of time. The results were typical of Sanchez’ career patterns. He had his moments before making his usual boneheaded plays that are typical of a rookie, not a 5th year pro.

For the most part I think Sanchez looks adequate in a very controlled environment. Early in the game he started out well enough hitting various receivers including a big TD pass to TE Jeff Cumberland. For the most part the game plan seemed to focus on quick decisions and strikes. Sometimes, though, when the field shortens, you can’t play that way, especially when you don’t have the talent that can run those little end zone fades.

All the good that Sanchez originally built up went away when he got intercepted in the end zone. While he did get killed for the pick, I thought this was a better interception, if there is such a thing, than last week’s. Mark did make a mistake and lock into Winslow and the Jaguars had read it perfect before the snap, but it was still a nice grab to pick it off. I also think it’s reasonable to expect a veteran tight end to use his body better and box those type of plays out, which Winslow did not do.

What was worse was the fact that the interception I thought impacted his play. Veterans have to shrug that off and he did not. His play at the goal on the last series of the first half belonged in the schoolyard. . He nearly let the playclock run out before the snap and also had Clyde Gates wide open in the end zone but Sanchez didn’t trust himself and tried to run. After a strange sequence that saw the Jets get two opportunities at the end zone Sanchez inexplicably let the clock run out and then threw the ball away costing his team a field goal. That is basic football 101. At the end of the day he cost his team 6 points.

Mark played better against the second string of Jacksonville, mainly hooking up with Braylon Edwards for a few nice passes. He also had a nice pass to Konrad Reuland, though if that was a first string defender out there the pass likely would have been broken up. I don’t think Edwards is a lock to make the team, but if Mark is the starter he needs to be here. The negatives to keeping Edwards are that he is often injured and that his salary is guaranteed once Week 1 rolls around. But this is the guy that Sanchez trusts the most, much moreso than Santonio Holmes and also Jeremy Kerley. If Edwards was in Gates’ spot in the end zone I can guarantee Sanchez would have pulled the trigger rather than pulling the ball down.

Losing Edwards back in 2011 doesn’t get much play, but it was a big factor in the downfall of the offense. For whatever reason, Edwards, who was not exactly known as a team player in Cleveland, seemed to take a very different approach in NY. It just seemed as if this is where he wanted to be and he made it a priority to take a rookie under his wing and try to boost his confidence. I watched him consoling a dejected Sanchez after he lost a game to Miami and saw a completely different side of a player who had a bad reputation coming here.

Odds are that Sanchez will never finish the season out as the starter so the threat of injury to Braylon is not a big deal. If he goes down after Smith is in as starter it’s no big deal. Smith’s future will be tied to Stephen Hill and Kerley. But if Mark is the guy you have to give him and the team their best chance and that happens with Edwards on the field. He makes so little money that the guaranteed salary is pennies in the grand scheme of things.

The running game looked better this week with Bilal Powell breaking off a big run early. Stephen Peterman had a terrific block on that play to spring him loose. Powell did a nice job on other plays as well and played much better than last week and ran more confidently. Chris Ivory did little but he is still just getting into game shape.

A bit on the offensive backups: I thought Kahlil Bell had a few nice runs when he got his chance and could end up replacing Joe McKnight on the roster. I don’t think people realize that McKnight’s biggest supporter in the organization was Mike Westhoff who is no longer here. Rex has thought little of him offensively, moving him to defense at one point and never giving him a chance even when Shonn Greene sputtered. The backup offensive line was also better this week. Last week every one of them looked as if they did not belong. That was not the case this week. If I were the Jets I would consider not playing Ryan Spadola the next two games. I don’t know if they can carry him on the roster or not, but I don’t know if he can clear waivers. I want to stash him on the Practice Squad and sometimes you want to hide those guys if you can.

The defense was a disappointment. They played terrible at first and seemed totally caught off guard by the hurry up offense being run by the Jaguars. Blaine Gabbert was picking them apart and the Jets run defense looked bad as well. After a good first game rookie CB Dee Milliner was getting exposed by Justin Blackmon. I don’t think that’s too out of the ordinary as corners do usually take time to develop, but he was getting picked on. At one point it looked like Antonio Cromartie was ripping into him for not playing that well.

LB David Harris also had a bad game. He was never worth the big contract but right now I don’t know how much of a contract he is really worth. He is not the same guy he was in 2009 and even 2010. He missed a tackle and got caught in coverage. The Jets are going to need Demario Davis to be something special if they are to get more out of Harris.

The pass rush was disappointing. I guess partially that was from the offense being run by the Jaguars making it difficult to bring anything beyond a pure skill rush, but I assumed the Jets would have been able to generate more pressure naturally with some of the skill on the team. Maybe it was a case of just not caring about playing the Jaguars who don’t have much of a reputation for being a passable team. If the defense plays like this in the regular season it will be a very long year, though I think this was more of a preseason stumble than anything else.

DE Muhammad Wilkerson looked great again. I think he’ll be an All Pro player this year unless the team is so bad that voters just overlook him. He had a great run stop and batted down pass. He is just so good and that’s going to turn out to be a great draft pick. They should extend him after this season.

On the Defensive Backups: Danny Lansanah had a nice interception which he then fumbled. I don’t know what that makes the play. CB Ellis Lankster was around the ball a few times and probably should have had a pick. DE Leger Douzable also had a nice batted pass. The Jaguars backups were terrible which actually made it tougher to get a handle on what the Jets did well vs what the Jaguars did bad. Im sure if you re-watch the game you can pick things out but off an initial viewing it was hard to tell.

Next week is the dress rehearsal game where Rex is going to have to lean on a QB. If he goes with Sanchez it’s clear Mark is the starter. The organization shouldn’t try to dance around that if it’s the case. They are going to need Smith to accept a role as backup for the time being and have him ready to showcase himself against the Eagles in week 4. I don’t think he will take the decision well and getting that out of his system quick is important to the future. Right now he looks disconnected on the sidelines Not only do they need to keep him improving but they need him to gain the confidence of his teammates. Moping around won’t do that. Having a good game against Philadelphia will.

The Giants game will be a test for the defense as the Giants offense, though very streaky, is far better than that of the Lions and Jaguars. I think that game will give us all a better idea of just where the defense is. I believe the defense has a chance to be very good, though I do have concerns about the middle of the defense and still see the team better with four down linemen. If they can shut down the Giants attack I think it will build more confidence in the team for the season. Go Jets!

I thought this was a better interception, if there is such a thing, than last week’s. Mark did make a mistake and lock into Winslow and the Jaguars had read it perfect before the snap, but it was still a nice grab to pick it off. I also think it’s reasonable to expect a veteran tight end to use his body better and box those type of plays out, which Winslow did not do.

Well I guess anything is better than a pick 6 to a DL, but not much, not when you're in the red zone and get no points on the board.  It wasn't a nice grab by the defender.  Sanchez threw it right to the defender.  How is Winslow supposed to block out 3 defenders?  Once Sanchez saw that Winslow had that much coverage around him, he should have looked elsewhere or run the ball.  Even with his not doing so, Sanchez still could have completed the pass to Winslow.  He could have lofted the ball over Winslow's head like a fade.  IMO that's the only way a pass to Winslow could have been completed on that play.  Even if Winslow couldn't have caught it, no defender could have.  Sanchez' lack of accuracy is just as awful as his decision making and panic/lack of poise in the pocket.

If Edwards was in Gates’ spot in the end zone I can guarantee Sanchez would have pulled the trigger rather than pulling the ball down.

C'mon guy.  You can't guarantee that and you know it.  You're not inside Sanchez' psyche/mind.  He may have thrown it to Edwards, but with the nut job that Sanchez is, NO ONE can guarantee anything except that when given the opportunity, he WILL screw up in whatever way he can.

Losing Edwards back in 2011 doesn’t get much play, but it was a big factor in the downfall of the offense. For whatever reason, Edwards, who was not exactly known as a team player in Cleveland, seemed to take a very different approach in NY. It just seemed as if this is where he wanted to be and he made it a priority to take a rookie under his wing and try to boost his confidence. I watched him consoling a dejected Sanchez after he lost a game to Miami and saw a completely different side of a player who had a bad reputation coming here.

This I agree with 100%.  I thought that Edwards was one of the key players on the Jets at that time and one of its few playmakers.  Edwards had been a great teammate, competitor, player and had a great attitude while here.  It was clear that he was happy here, WANTED to remain a Jet, and was even willing to take a cheaper contract to stay.  Holmes didn't give a rat's arse where he played as long as got paid.  He wasn't and still isn't as complete a WR as Braylon was/is, wasn't the competitor, teammate or leader that Braylon was.  Rex and Tanny were absolutely stupid to keep Holmes and let Braylon walk.  That said, I understand that you tried to justify the big contract that Holmes got, and that's rubbish imo.  There are no stats that could justify that insane deal that that POS excuse for a WR received.  If I'm wrong and it was a justifiable contract in some team's minds, then let them pay it, not the Jets.

Interesting bit about Westhoff being McKnight's biggest supporter.  Certainly makes sense.  He gave McKnight opportunities and got the most out of him.  Rex never seemed to have any use for him or how to use him.  Again, showing me why Rex has no business being a HC.  Not that McKnight is great or anything, but a HC has to find a way to get every player on his roster to contribute in as many ways as possible.  When the Jets and Greene were struggling running the ball, McKnight should have been given some opportunities to see if they could give the offense a spark, just as when Sanchez was so awful, Tebow or McElroy should have been brought in earlier to see if they could give the team some kind of spark.  When things aren't working, you have to figure out why and make some kind of changes.  Rex doesn't.  He just keeps trotting the same guys out there and hope something somehow will change.

With regard to Spadola, it may already be too late to try to stash him on the PS.  I think that if they want to keep him, they may have to add him to the roster whether they want to or not, or risk losing him.

I agree about Harris.  I never thought he was worth anywhere near the value of this last contract.  I would have let him walk if I couldn't have traded him.

I was disappointed by the D vs Jax, but am not too concerned unless they don't bounce back strong vs the Giants.  There are a lot of rookies and young players they are mixing in (starting) and sometimes those guys are still thinking too much and not allowing their talent to take over.  It could definitely be a bumpy road and a long season if the D doesn't play any better than the O.  I think it will.  It may take several games for the D to come together, but I think they will be a very good D by season's end.

Next week is the dress rehearsal game where Rex is going to have to lean on a QB. If he goes with Sanchez it’s clear Mark is the starter. The organization shouldn’t try to dance around that if it’s the case. They are going to need Smith to accept a role as backup for the time being and have him ready to showcase himself against the Eagles in week 4. I don’t think he will take the decision well and getting that out of his system quick is important to the future. Right now he looks disconnected on the sidelines Not only do they need to keep him improving but they need him to gain the confidence of his teammates. Moping around won’t do that. Having a good game against Philadelphia will.

This concerns me.  Jason doesn't do hyperbole and is generally about the most objective voice around.  No QB of the Jets will last long if he can't handle adversity with grace.  The media will smell blood and pile on until there's nothing left but bones.  Even if Geno gets the start in week 1, we won't know what we've got until we see how he handles the aftermath of his first rough game.  Hopefully it won't be for a while :)

This concerns me.  Jason doesn't do hyperbole and is generally about the most objective voice around.  No QB of the Jets will last long if he can't handle adversity with grace.  The media will smell blood and pile on until there's nothing left but bones.  Even if Geno gets the start in week 1, we won't know what we've got until we see how he handles the aftermath of his first rough game.  Hopefully it won't be for a while :)

He may not use hyperbole much, but I'll bet he has no evidence to support his conclusion.  It's just his opinion.  I saw nothing even remotely resembling his comment that Geno looked disconnected on the sidelines.  Sanchez eating a hot dog on the sidelines IS disconnected.  Geno watching the game, concentrating, thinking is not disconnected.  I saw the Jax game and nothing about Geno's demeanor suggested that he was disconnected.  I think he's using some of the BS the media has been spewing about Geno as the basis for his opinion.  I think it's bogus.

Are you basing that on having read Jason's work over the past few years or just because you don't agree with it.  Anyone else, I wouldn't have even posted, but Jason's a different cat.

http://overthecap.com/

http://www.nyjetscap.com/index.html

and FWIW he wrote recently supporting starting Smith here:  http://overthecap.com/the-benefits-of-starting-the-young-qb/

So like I said, when he makes this statement, I give it a LOT more credence than if it came from almost anyone else.

Are you basing that on having read Jason's work over the past few years or just because you don't agree with it.  Anyone else, I wouldn't have even posted, but Jason's a different cat.

http://overthecap.com/

http://www.nyjetscap.com/index.html

and FWIW he wrote recently supporting starting Smith here:  http://overthecap.com/the-benefits-of-starting-the-young-qb/

So like I said, when he makes this statement, I give it a LOT more credence than if it came from almost anyone else.

With regard to the cap and financial issues, there is no one I trust or give more credence to.  He does truly amazing work in that regard.  I have read his cap stuff for years and loved it, though I haven't always agreed with everything he has said.  Just because he's great with the cap, doesn't necessarily mean that he's great or his eye is any better than the rest of us with regard to play on the field.  I questioned what he wrote about that because he didn't offer one shred of evidence to support his claim that Geno was disconnected and my eyes told me something VERY different.  All the camp reports on this and other sites of posters who have been to practices have talked about how Geno is all business.  All the interviews with Geno, Rex and Mornhinweg, have supported that claim.  He is working very hard and is very focused.  Based on everything I've ever seen or heard about Geno, discounting what those lying hacks Cimini, Mehta and the other Jets beat writers have tried to claim, has been overwhelmingly positive about Geno.

It's similar in my mind to a statement he made in his post the other day, where it was strictly his opinion and there was no supporting facts or data.  I could be wrong on both points/issues, but until I see proof, I will doubt the veracity of those claims because it just doesn't jive with what I've seen to be true.  I don't take anyone's word (even my own) as gospel.

I also agree 100% ... Braylon has been aces in Jet Green in every respect on the field and in the locker room. Anybody that want's to harp about alcohol issues or drops is looking for lame excuses to say otherwise. And I dreaded the day we picked him up and he immediately hooked up with Rhodes and did that podcast - but he's earned respect on this team by his actions. I hope we keep him and rue the day we gave Cornholio the big contract.    

I'm just going to say this ---- hitting a wide open TE on what looked to me like a seam route, against a vanilla pre-season Jaguars defense is something my unborn kid could probably do. 

Without checking stats, I think Sanchez's stat line is inflated by 2 of these TDs so far this preseason, no?

I'm just going to say this ---- hitting a wide open TE on what looked to me like a seam route, against a vanilla pre-season Jaguars defense is something my unborn kid could probably do. 

Without checking stats, I think Sanchez's stat line is inflated by 2 of these TDs so far this preseason, no?

I like this because it also excuses our defense to a certain extent. Plus, the fact that it's true (and I've never met your unborn kid)

Totally fair.  I hope you're right, too. 

But I'll still be keeping an eye on Bridgewater, Boyd, McCarron and Murray for now. 

I will too!  Just because I think Geno is all business, doesn't mean that I definitely think he will develop into a topflight starter.  I hope he will, and think he has the physical talent to (aside from the small hands), but whether he has the right mental makeup or will is uncertain.

Archived