Ravens lands steal in LT Monroe for 4th and 5th

SenorGato

not clear that Monroe is a huge upgrade over Bryant McKinnie. Monroe is younger and better at run blocking but McKinnie is better in pass pro, a former Pro Bowler and even won the Outland Trophy back in the day. It comes down to motivation if the Ravens are seeing bad habits again than Monroe is a decent replacement for a fully motivated McKinnie but again I hesitate to use the word upgrade here.  it's not like the Falcons replacing Sam Baker or whoever is starting at left tackle in Oakland. McKinnie was cash money during their playoff run last year. 

I think it's a win for both franchises to be honest. Jacksonville wasn't going to resign Monroe, regardless of what they said, and can now swing Joeckel over to LT, save some money and get some solid draft picks in exchange.  If the Jaguars do end up with Teddy, they'll hopefully be able to surround him with talent and fill that roster out.  If I were them I'd start a fire sale and try to get whatever they can for MJD and some of those other guys.  

I think it's a win for both franchises to be honest. Jacksonville wasn't going to resign Monroe, regardless of what they said, and can now swing Joeckel over to LT, save some money and get some solid draft picks in exchange.  If the Jaguars do end up with Teddy, they'll hopefully be able to surround him with talent and fill that roster out.  If I were them I'd start a fire sale and try to get whatever they can for MJD and some of those other guys.  

In other words, do exactly what the Jets did this past offseason.

In other words, do exactly what the Jets did this past offseason.

Precisely. Although I have a feeling that Jags' fans won't become border-line suicidal after every loss, understanding the scenario.  Which is odd, as I don't particularly think of the good citizens of jacksonville as being the more forward thinking of folk. 

It now suddenly seems clear to me that Monroe is a huge upgrade over McKinnie.  He is better at pass protection, but won't be as good of a blocker for their running game.  

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/23984897/bryant-mckinnie-nobody-has-told-me-im-not-the-starting-lt

Using Pro Football Focus' metrics, the website ranks McKinnie 61st out of 72 tackles in the NFL this year, and in the first four games, 11 quarterback hurries have been charged to him. For the record, Monroe is ranked, ahem, 55th.

Archived