Hill Practices, But Waiting For Concussion Go-Ahead

flgreen

Jets’ Hill practices, but he’s waiting for concussion go-ahead

By Brian CostelloOctober 4, 2013 | 2:57pm

Jets’ Hill practices, but he’s waiting for concussion go-ahead

Jets wide receiver Stephen Hill returned to the practice field Friday wearing a red no-contact jersey.

Hill suffered a concussion in Sunday’s loss to the Ttians and had not practiced this week. The red jersey likely means Hill has been cleared by doctors to do everything except take a hit. If he gets that clearance over the weekend, he could play Monday against the Falcons.

The Jets desperately need Hill to play because Santonio Holmes is out with a hamstring injury and won’t play, according to a source.

In other injury news from practice, RB Mike Goodson left the field with the trainer while the media was watching and went to the area where injured players ride the bike and do agility drills. Rex Ryan said Goodson felt some tightness in his hamstring and “we’ll see how he comes along.” Goodson is returning from his four-game suspension to start the season

CB Dee Milliner was on the field in shorts and a T-shirt and was on the stationary bike as practice started. RB Chris Ivory was doing positional drills and looks as if he could play Monday.

QB Mark Sanchez, who is on the short-term IR, made a brief appearance on the practice field to ride the stationary bike. Sanchez is currently rehabbing his injured shoulder.

OCT 4

8:23

PM ET

By Jane McManus | ESPNNewYork.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. – New York Jets wide receiver Stephen Hill practiced in a limited capacity Friday for the first time since sustaining a concussion in the loss to Tennessee last Sunday.

Hill wore a red jersey, meaning that he was not allowed to engage in any contact with his teammates. He is going through the NFL’s concussion protocol to return to the field, but has not been cleared for play yet. The Jets play Monday night in Atlanta.

Hill

“I’m not going to say I’ve been cleared to play,” Hill said, “but I am ready to play any time they give me a heads up.”

Coach Rex Ryan was glad to see Hill back on the field.

“I believe that’s the only hurdle left, so we’ll see how it goes,” Ryan said. “But yes, I was encouraged. That was a good sign.”

The Titans linebacker who tackled Hill, Michael Griffin, was fined $21,000 by the NFL on Friday. He was cited for unnecessary roughness, as well as striking a defenseless player in the head and neck area. Hill left the game immediately and said he experienced headaches until Wednesday. Since then, Hill said he’s been headache-free.

“I’m feeling good,” Hill said. “Just ready to play.”

Jets offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg said there is some concern about playing a recently-concussed receiver at full speed, even if Hill is cleared.

“Well, that’s a good point,” Mornhinweg said. “We’re not there yet. We don’t know if he’s going to play yet or not. But certainly, it comes into play. There’s no question about that on specific things that you may ask any player at any position, and certainly at receiver, there’s certain things you may or may not do.”

serious question: In training camp, the QBs wear "red" jerseys so they don't get sacked, but I've seen video, they still get hands on them.  I'm assuming that in concussion cases like Hill, the "no contact" jersey means ABSOLUTELY NO contact.  But at this point in the season, the practices are usually non-contact anyway, right?

I thought I saw somewhere that the live hitting is saved for gamedays once the season starts, and that the players only wear shells for weekday practices.  

Anybody know any different? 

[ps. I put the "red" (jersey) in parenthesis because I saw that Tampa Bay uses green no contact jerseys, I'm sure other teams use other colors also.] 

Archived