NY Jets Move Kellen Winslow To Active Roster And Release Rontez Miles

JetNation

Tight end Kellen Winslow is back after serving a suspension for violating the NFL’s performance enhancing drug policy.  The New York Jets moved him to the Active Roster and on the same day Safety Rontez Miles was released.

Rontez Miles came onto the Jets as an undrafted free agent and has become somewhat of a fan favorite. Some Jets fans believe that Rontez Miles may possibly be brought back onto the practice squad in the near future. Geno Smith gets back one of his favorite targets as the Jets come back from their Bye week to face the Buffalo Bills. If any other roster changes are made we will keep you posted.

Lol. All that BS about him and he gets cut straight away.

He was supposed to be the guy they cut.  Last guy in, first guy out.  The only reason I might have expected them to carry him would be if Allen's concussion were serious.  With Kerley down and Holmes questionable they need all hands on deck at WR.  Once that shakes out this kid might be next back up when the decide who they need/like out of the extra WRs they are carrying because of Holmes being down and Sudfeld who they are using because of the absence of Cumberland and Winslow.

He was supposed to be the guy they cut.  Last guy in, first guy out.  The only reason I might have expected them to carry him would be if Allen's concussion were serious.  With Kerley down and Holmes questionable they need all hands on deck at WR.  Once that shakes out this kid might be next back up when the decide who they need/like out of the extra WRs they are carrying because of Holmes being down and Sudfeld who they are using because of the absence of Cumberland and Winslow.

With Sudfeld showing signs of possibly being a keeper, I wonder if the Jets consider axeing Reuland at some point since he is #4 on the depth chart, and use the spot to bring back Miles or someone else.

With Sudfeld showing signs of possibly being a keeper, I wonder if the Jets consider axeing Reuland at some point since he is #4 on the depth chart, and use the spot to bring back Miles or someone else.

Good point.  I'm not sure.  Reuland is a JAG, but he is the closest thing to a standard inline TE on the roster.  Sudfeld has upside, but I didn't notice him ahead of Reuland on the depth chart.  He is just more reciever which is what they needed with all those guys out.  The other guys are all basically reciever first TEs. I think Bohanon also duplicates some of Reuland's skillset, so that also might contribute.

I checked.  Sudfeld got a ton of run against the Saints. 80% of the snaps.  Reuland had 16%.  Prior to that week Reuland would have more snaps, but neither got very many. That may mean that Sudfeld has passed Reuland or it may be just a matchup thing with the Saints.  Geno threw to him, so he will stick, but the question remains with Reuland. 

I checked.  Sudfeld got a ton of run against the Saints. 80% of the snaps.  Reuland had 16%.  Prior to that week Reuland would have more snaps, but neither got very many. That may mean that Sudfeld has passed Reuland or it may be just a matchup thing with the Saints.  Geno threw to him, so he will stick, but the question remains with Reuland. 

OK.  Thanks for the info.  It will be interesting to see what happens, but either way, I'll be surprised (and disappointed) if Reuland is back next year.

I really don't see why Reuland would need to be kept around. Not like he's shown major upside. Keep Cumberland, Windslow, and Sudfeld for this yr and next yr maybe draft another TE to add to mix with Cumby and Sudfeld.

He's the only one not made out of glass for starters.  Reuland is exactly the kind of guy you always try to replace, but you do so with competition, not just saying "not it" and moving on.  Isn't our new mantra "COMPETITION"? 

I wouldn't really say the others are made of glass. Cumberland has had some freak injuries and got lit up a cpl times. Sudfeld hasn't been out there much, but I haven't heard any injury history with him. It's obvious this yr is Winslow, Cumby, Sudfeld and Reuland if he hangs around. Next yr I'd rather see Winslow gone AMD the other two guys compete with a guy we draft over Reuland.

I wouldn't really say the others are made of glass. Cumberland has had some freak injuries and got lit up a cpl times. Sudfeld hasn't been out there much, but I haven't heard any injury history with him. It's obvious this yr is Winslow, Cumby, Sudfeld and Reuland if he hangs around. Next yr I'd rather see Winslow gone AMD the other two guys compete with a guy we draft over Reuland.

If you hadn't heard any injury history with Sudfeld, you never read about him in college.  It took him 6 years to get out of Nevada and he had 6 surgeries.  He missed all of 2008 and then got a medical redshirt after he had a season ender in the first game of 2011. Part of the reason I think the Jets ended up with him was because he had a hamstring problem and wasn't really able to fill in while Gronkowski was out.  It's why he missed the first Jets-Pats game.  WInslow's knee is famously bad and he has been on a "pitch count" since camp because of it.  Cumberland missed most of 2011 with the achilles and has missed games this year and 2012 due to injuries. With Cumberland having a concussion and Winslow having his knee issues you can't count on them and Sudfeld has a looooooong injury history.

If you hadn't heard any injury history with Sudfeld, you never read about him in college. It took him 6 years to get out of Nevada and he had 6 surgeries. He missed all of 2008 and then got a medical redshirt after he had a season ender in the first game of 2011. Part of the reason I think the Jets ended up with him was because he had a hamstring problem and wasn't really able to fill in while Gronkowski was out. It's why he missed the first Jets-Pats game. WInslow's knee is famously bad and he has been on a "pitch count" since camp because of it. Cumberland missed most of 2011 with the achilles and has missed games this year and 2012 due to injuries. With Cumberland having a concuession and Winslow having his knee issues you can't count on them and Sudfeld has a looooooong injury history.

Didn't know about Sudfeld. I know Winslow is injury prone lately, but he is gone after this yr. I don't think Cumberland is, I just think he had a string of bad luck. Either way the Jets need someone else to go along with Cumby, I just don't think Reuland offers anything more than a healthy blocker.

Archived