Stephen Hill's Reduced Role

flgreen

Stephen Hill's reduced role

November, 28, 2013

NOV 28

12:00

PM ET

By Jane McManus | ESPNNewYork.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Stephen Hill has more storylines than the first three books of Game of Thrones. First, the Jets' second-year receiver was getting reduced reps. Then, he wasn't. Then, he might have an injury. But on Wednesday, Hill said it was only a few nicks.

Hill may have been in the first play from scrimmage Sunday against the Ravens, but he played in only 46 percent of the snaps after averaging 77 percent in the first 10 games. Santonio Holmes, Greg Salas and David Nelson all saw more action than Hill.

So has his role been reduced?

"No, no we actually discussed that with coaches so we know what's going on," Hill said.

Hmmm ... Ryan said on Wednesday that Hill was seeing fewer reps during the week as a way to somehow benefit Hill, even though he has seen reps reduced during games as well.

"I think taking some reps off of him during the week I think will help him get back," Ryan said. "So, that's kind of what we're looking to do -- get him to where he can be that receiver we think he can be with that kind of speed. So I think trying not to run his legs into the ground is something that we're trying to get him to where he's fresher for the game."

With 23 catches for 340 yards so far, Hill has not played well. Technically, Ryan drafted him even though he had to be convinced by others in the Jets organization to go for the Georgia Tech player in the second round.

Coaches are traditionally unwilling to give up on their own picks, because then they are charged with a low-performing selection.

Whatever slight of hand the Jets are trying to orchestrate, what is clear is that Hill's practice reps and playing time have been reduced, but that no one wants to talk about it.

Jets need Dee Milliner, Stephen Hill to show improvement in final five games

Darryl Slater/The Star-Ledger By Darryl Slater/The Star-Ledger

on November 28, 2013 at 12:00 PM, updated November 28, 2013 at 12:05 PM

They are two of the Jets’ most important young players, the sort of draft picks whose selection can influence a team for years to come – for good or ill.

It remains uncertain how the Jets drafting wide receiver Stephen Hill last year and cornerback Dee Milliner this year will turn out in the long run. But both have endured their share of struggles this season, and the Jets will need both to respond in the final five games as the 5-6 team desperately tries to keep its playoff chances alive.

The Jets selected Hill in the second round last year, with their second overall pick. He played in a run-focused option offense at Georgia Tech. He had 49 career catches, and never more than 28 in one season. So his lackluster rookie season – 21 catches, 252 yards and three touchdowns – could be excused, especially considering a knee injury limited him to 11 games.

This was supposed to be the year Hill became a legitimate NFL receiver. But through 11 games, he has just 23 catches for 340 yards and a touchdown. He has had to play through lingering and widespread pain, most recently a sprained foot, and his fast start to this season is now a distant memory.

Hill had 86 and 108 yards in Weeks 2 and 3 – his best games since the first game of his career, when he had 89 yards. But since Week 3, Hill has 10 catches for 107 yards, including zero catches in the past three games. His lack of production is particularly glaring because he has played more snaps than any other Jets offensive player except the four offensive linemen who have started all year and quarterback Geno Smith.

Hill played 26 of 57 snaps in Sunday’s loss at Baltimore, after missing just seven and 10 snaps in the previous two games. He said he knew his playing time would be limited, and that he discussed it with the coaches. He emphasized that a desire to keep him physically fresh – and not the coaches’ displeasure with his performance – was the reason for his snaps decreasing against the Ravens.

“That was the plan, just to make sure that I don’t get injuries,” Hill said, adding that he feels “much better” now.

This Sunday against Miami, Hill said, “I definitely will be playing probably the same amount of snaps that I’ve been doing in previous weeks. I had to really learn how, just having certain injuries, you’ve got to learn how to play through those. Everybody’s hurt.”

Though Hill said his decreased playing time in Baltimore was unrelated to performance, Jets coach Rex Ryan offered a different take when asked if Hill’s action was limited only because of his physical condition rather than how effectively he has played.

“No, it’s not that,” Ryan said. “We’re trying to play the best players.”

Similarly, Ryan has not hesitated to put Milliner – this year’s ninth overall pick, and the Jets’ top selection – on the sideline when he made mistakes. Twice this season, Ryan has benched Milliner, most recently in Week 8 at Cincinnati. But Ryan has started him in the three games since, even as deep balls continue to be an issue for him.

If Antonio Cromartie’s sore hip prevents him from playing against the Dolphins, Milliner might be tasked with defending Miami’s top receiver, Mike Wallace, a fifth-year pro who is coming off his best game since 2011 – five catches and 127 yards last week against Carolina.

Milliner and Cromartie have been two of the NFL’s worst cover corners this season, at least by one metric. Pro Football Focus ranks them 104th and 105th out of 110 corners in coverage grading. Yet at least publicly, Milliner is unconcerned about a potential matchup with Wallace, whose speed might require Milliner to be physical with him at the line, in order to prevent Wallace from accelerating immediately.

“I think I’d be fine,” Milliner said. “You’ve got to try to slow a guy down like that because if he gets rolling down the field, it’s going to be hard to stop him, because he’s a fast guy who can get up on you quick.”

While Cromartie has two interceptions this year, Milliner is stuck on zero. He had at least one pick in all three of his seasons at Alabama.

“I’d be relieved to have a pick,” Milliner said. “I don’t think I’ve ever went a season without getting a pick, so hopefully I can get one here soon.”

Archived