Manziel Ponders Life With New York Jets

flgreen

Don't get me wrong, I believe we need a QB, but a good offense starts and ends with the offensive line.

We had a good one in 2009 and 2010, the offense was pretty good, and we went to the Championship Game two years in a row.

Rex and the front office let the o-line go to sh*t starting in 2011, let guys walk away without viable replacements, and the last 3 years the offense has sucked.

A good O-line makes the entire offense look better, including the QB.

It's that simple in my mind.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't get me wrong, I believe we need a QB, but a good offense starts and ends with the offensive line.

We had a good one in 2009 and 2010, the offense was pretty good, and we went to the Championship Game two years in a row.

Rex and the front office let the o-line go to sh*t starting in 2011, let guys walk away without viable replacements, and the last 3 years the offense has sucked.

A good O-line makes the entire offense look better, including the QB.

It's that simple in my mind.

Bigger needs in offense then o-line, i.e. Qb and WR. We actually did try and address the o-line in the last draft, we selected Campbell, Abdoushi, and Winters along with picking up Peterman (who we cut) and Colon in free agency. Also, Geno not being able to pick up a blitz is why the o line looks bad at times. Him not picking up the corner blitz (his achilles heel, along with a lot of other things) is why you see corners going untouched and sacking him.

Jif, my point was not to simply extol the virtues of LSU's defense, just point out the scheme that they employed against him was extremely effective. They may be one of the few teams who have the players to not only keep contain, but apply pressure with just four lineman. When they were able to do that, Manziel looked absolutely helpless when he wasn't able to scramble out of the pocket after his initial first 5 second of just standing free.  Watch all of his big plays, it's usually him dancing in the pocket for 5 or 6 seconds, followed by him rolling out and throwing to Mike Evans. That is not conducive to success in the NFL. 

Once again, this is not about how good a defense LSU is, it's about the scheme they employed that didn't only give Manziel is worst two college games, but made him look like a non-FBS QB thrown to the wolves. It'd be one thing if they just limited his production, but he simply looked pathetic: completing less than half his passes, throwing 5 ints to 1 td and doing almost nothing on the ground. He was neutered. 

Our defense wasn't even close to being as good this year as it has been in the past, especially on the back-end, which was why guys like Murray and McCarron played well, becuse they're pocket passers who exploited our weaknesses. Manziel couldn't do what they did, because his game is predicated on broken plays and back-yard football, when they were taken away, he looked lost. Again, I'm not saying he can't develop, but as of now, I don't see a star and anyone drafting him in the first round is going to be extremely sorry.

In Manziel's last games his team wasn't playing good period. You can't throw that all on Manziel when his wide receivers were struggling to get open and the run game wasn't working. Not to mention the fact that he was injured in those games which is why you can see him being off on accuracy. Also, Murray has a great running game and basically handed it off to Gurley who would gash defense and McCarron is a game manager who would also hand it off to his running back. The two qb's you listed rely on their teams a lot more then Manziel does, and have a much better team then Manziel does.

Archived