idzik dept. - " What Jets GM learned helping Seahawks build Super Bowl team " ~ ~ ~

kelly

John Idzik plans on finding some time this week to see some old friends.
The Jets general manager will take time out from his team’s personnel meetings to visit the Seahawks before Super Bowl XLVIII. Idzik spent six seasons with the Seahawks before leaving last January to join the Jets.
“I’ll drop by and say hello. I don’t want to interrupt them too much,” Idzik told The Post on Monday. “They have some business at hand.”
Idzik was in Seattle in 2010 when new general manager John Schneider and coach Pete Carroll arrived to begin rebuilding the roster. Now, the Seahawks are one win away from being world champions, and they could do it at MetLife Stadium – the home field of Idzik’s Jets.
“It’s a great feeling to see them have success,” Idzik said. “It’s emotional, to be honest, because I’m very close to so many people in that organization and that locker room. To see them get to the point where we all envisioned and to have it right here in my backyard, to be hosting, is pretty special.”
Idzik had known Schneider since the mid-90s, when Idzik was in the personnel department of the Buccaneers and Schneider was a Packers scout.
When Schneider took the job in Seattle, Idzik said his energy was “pervasive” and he had a clear plan for what he wanted to do.
“To put it in simplistic form: In personnel we were just going to clearly identify what was going to work for us in Seattle and leave no stone unturned,” Idzik said. “That’s thrown around kind of loosely, but I think that first year in 2010 with John we may have set an NFL record for transactions. We really worked it pretty hard.”
They had 284 transactions that first year as they worked to turn over the roster. Idzik was the vice president of football administration and worked closely with Schneider and Carroll as they rebuilt the roster.
Idzik said they did not just chase the big-name free agents but explored every avenue of player acquisition to find players they felt fit the organization. It is the same model Idzik now employs with the Jets.
“I think that’s what differentiates John and the Seahawks,” Idzik said. “It wasn’t just going after talent. It wasn’t just going after guys that really stood out where they were. It was identifying who was a Seahawk. It sounds a little familiar, right?”
When he came to the Jets last January, Idzik said he could sense some similarities to the feeling around the Seahawks in 2010 when they were coming off two seasons of no playoffs.
“I did see parallels when I first came in here,” Idzik said. “I think there was a certain perception of the Jets and the organization. It was a head-scratcher for me because we have tremendous people in this building. When I first came in and I first started to be introduced to everybody, get indoctrinated here, I got that same sense. We’ve said that. There’s a good vibe here. There’s a good vibe in the locker room. There’s a good vibe in the training room, equipment room, personnel. We’ve got people with a like-minded cause. There are definitely some parallels. That’s what made it so exciting for me to come to the Jets.”
Idzik now hopes the Jets can carry out the plan as well as the Sehawks have.

http://nypost.com/2014/01/27/jets-gm-had-inside-look-at-how-seahawks-built-super-bowl-team/

Seattle East mode? Good sign for Jets

nfl_g_idzik_b1_576x324.jpgJets GM John Idzik will be at MetLife Stadium on Sunday, rooting for his former employer.

The New York Jets have gone 45 straight years without a Super Bowl, and now the big game has landed in their backyard. It might seem like the classic so-close-yet-so-far story -- a tease -- but Super Bowl XLVIII actually provides hope for the Jets.

In an era of wide-open passing attacks that produce video-game numbers, the Seattle Seahawks are a championship team built on old-fashioned tenets -- strong defense and a physical running. No matter how much other people try to change the game, the Seahawks refuse to eliminate the blue from their collar.

Basically, they're an upscale version of the Jets -- and that's not a knock on the Jets. No, it's validation that they're not too cool for old school.

"I wouldn't call us Seattle East, but there are parallels," Jets general manager John Idzik, a former Seahawks executive, said Monday in a phone interview.

He provided a few.

"Physically, they're a fast, athletic defense," Idzik said of the NFC champions. "Sounds familiar, doesn't it? They play a physical brand of football on both sides of the ball, and that comes from being strong up front. Sounds familiar, doesn't it? It sounds a little bit like us. There are definitely some similarities."

The Seahawks have a player-friendly coach, Pete Carroll, who made his bones on the defensive side of the ball. The Jets have Rex Ryan, the East Coast version of Carroll.

The Seahawks play an aggressive, man-to-man defense. So do the Jets.

The Seahawks pound the rock with Marshawn Lynch -- aka Beast Mode. The Jets have Chris Ivory, whose punishing running style mirrors that of Lynch.

The Seahawks found their franchise quarterback, former third-rounder Russell Wilson, after the first round of the draft. Idzik took the same approach in his first draft, picking Geno Smith in the second round. Smith isn't close to Wilson yet, and his development ultimately could determine if the Jets reach the Seahawks' level.

But don't forget, the Jets are only one year into the Idzik program. The Seahawks have been building for four years under the leadership of Carroll and general manager John Schneider, Idzik's former colleagues.

"You could see this coming," Idzik said of the Seahawks' journey to the Super Bowl. "Nothing in this league is a given, but to see it come to fruition is kind of cool."

Idzik spent five years in the Seahawks' front office, mostly managing the salary cap and handling contract negotiations. He was a holdover from the Mike Holmgren regime, but he quickly became a fan of the Carroll-Schneider philosophy.

Idzik expressed his admiration for the Seahawk Way, calling his old organization "a conglomeration of great people. This totally isn't a surprise. They're very good at what they do." He went on and on about the Seahawks, but he kept striking the same chord.

He emphasized the "synergy" between the front office, the coaching staff and the personnel department, a same-vision relationship that he believes has enabled the Seahawks to find some of their best players in the later rounds of the draft.

We mentioned Wilson, but there's also cornerback Richard Sherman, fifth round. Safety Kam Chancellor, fifth round. They also found talent in the trade market (Lynch) and free agency.

Idzik said the Seahawks have a "clear profile" of the characteristics they covet in players, some of whom he described as "plug-and-play" and others that "needed time on the runway." People forget the Seahawks went 7-9 in each of Carroll's first two seasons, finally clicking in 2012.

"The tenets of what we're doing here strike some similarities to what has happened in Seattle," said Idzik, who will attend Sunday's game and will be rooting for his old team.

Idzik delivered a strong first draft, netting five starters, and now we'll get a chance to see how he operates in free agency with actual money to spend. The Jets should be more than $30 million under the salary cap, giving them the flexibility they didn't have last offseason.

As for that Seattle synergy that Idzik described, it's hard to quantify, but it certainly appears that he and Ryan have a solid relationship. Idzik extended Ryan's contract, revamped the front office last offseason and tweaked the scouting staff. In theory, his people are in place. Now all they need is more players.

Idzik said he's not copy-catting the Seahawks' blueprint, but there's no doubt he's trying to incorporate Seattle's best into the Jets.

What about his former team's chances Sunday?

"Now," Idzik said, "I'd like to see them finish it off."

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/35041/seattle-east-mode-good-sign-for-jets

I know we can't make any rash moves, but Idzik can't afford to go into conservative mode this offseason and skimp on players, especially when it comes to the Jets' two biggest needs-receivers and corners. I look forward to seeing what he does, but it can't be nothing.

I know we can't make any rash moves, but Idzik can't afford to go into conservative mode this offseason and skimp on players, especially when it comes to the Jets' two biggest needs-receivers and corners. I look forward to seeing what he does, but it can't be nothing.

I think the " i - man " has a plan...I hope he sticks to it :winking0001:  

John Idzik Talks About Jets’ Journey Now Begun
Posted Feb 1, 2014 - Randy Lange Editor-in-Chief, newyorkjets.com @rlangejets Blog: Randy's Radar

GM Visits Jets House, Recalls Time with Super Teams in Tampa Bay, Seattle

The Super Bowl is about stories, circles within circles, connections lost and then found again, trips short and long and in between to the highest of pinnacles.

And no one knows that better than John Idzik.

The Jets' now second-year general manager held court in a Q&A session with Eric Allen on "Front Office Day" at Jets House this afternoon, and EA recalled that Idzik has quite the track record along the Super Bowl trail on his way to the Green & White.

Idzik, fans will recall, was Tampa Bay's assistant GM when the Buccaneers won it all after the 2002 season. And he was Seattle's vice president of football administration up through last season, and now of course the Seahawks are vying for the Super Bowl XLVIII title with the Denver Broncos on Sunday night in Idzik's new home stadium.

"I feel great for them," Idzik said of the still rising 'Hawks. "First of all, I'm very grateful to have been a part of that organization. That community really supports their team. We kind of went through a three-year deal there and now they have gotten to this point. And I feel very proud and very grateful to have been a part of that, very happy for those guys."

That Super road was even longer, both for the Bucs and for Idzik, who joined them in '93 for a 12-year run.

"It's an incredible feeling. You really can't describe it. But it was really about the journey," he said. "In Tampa's case, it was a long journey, and to finally make it to the top was a great feeling. And that's what we anticipate right here with the New York Jets."

That was music to the ears of the green-clad fans who made it to today's sixth consecutive sellout session at Jets House, right across the street from Madison Square Garden. Idzik had no Namathian guarantees for us all, but he didn't shy away from telling us the trip is under way.

"What makes our sport unique is we bring together so many different people from different backgrounds to so many different facets of the organization," he said. "I feel real unity in our building. I feel real unity in our locker room, our coaching staff, our personnel staff, our front office, our business side. We even feel it in this Jets House here today. And I think there's strength in numbers in what we do and that's what gets us excited."

Idzik said that all of us in the room who recalled the joyous aftermath of the visitors' locker room in Sun Life Stadium after we knocked the Dolphins out of the playoffs, got to 8-8, and put the final piece in place for Woody Johnson's announcement to the team that head coach Rex Ryan would return for 2014 were getting a glimpse of something genuine.

"For those of you that witnessed the emotion that we felt in that locker room, that's real, that's real. The emotion that we felt in our exit interviews with the players the next day, that's real," he said. "So it's very, very exciting to be working with a group that's really coming together."

Johnson Drops By Too

We mentioned "Front Office Day" before because Johnson also made an appearance at Jets House during the day session today. He spent some time engulfed by Green & White fans, shaking hands, signing autographs, and taking photos. One young fan presented him with a Jets cap to sign, which he immediately put up to his trademark light green tie to see how the different shades of Jets colors matched up.

As Johnson was looking the other way, Into the crowd came one large "fan" who said, "I want an autograph, too, Mr. Johnson." It was Marvin Jones, the middle linebacker on Johnson's first teams as owner of the Jets from 2000-03 and back for his second day at Jets House. Employer and former employee embraced. Touching sight if you're a longtime fan of the J-E-T-S, as many were in this session.

Also on hand were C Nick Mangold, S Josh Bush, followed by a pair of quarterbacks, Chad Pennington from the past and Geno Smith representing the present and future. I'll have a story on Geno's remarks and Chad's comments to me about the Jets signalcaller that will go live in another hour or so.

> http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/arti...c-a1bc9187fbbb

EA: Next Season Begins for the Jets

A new NFL champion was crowned Sunday Night at MetLife Stadium. While the Seattle Seahawks can rightfully claim supremacy in the football world, the Jets can wipe the slate clean because 2013 is officially over.

After missing the postseason for three consecutive years and watching the Super Bowl played in their own stadium, the Green & White have to set their sights on a return to the postseason. After all, you cannot compete for a championship unless you earn a trip to the playoffs.

There are pieces in place and reasons for optimism.

The defensive line is one of the most talented positional groups in football and the collective front seven is strong. Offensively the Jets quietly had NFL’s sixth-ranked rush offense last season and Chris Ivory and Bilal Powell complement each other very well.

There is also stability on the coaching staff as both the defense and offense will again be led by Rex Ryan/Dennis Thurman and offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg. The Jets have enjoyed the comforts of the Met, claiming six of eight at home in ’13 including home takedowns of the Patriots and the Saints. And the Green & White were excellent with a lead, finishing 6-0 last season when they were either ahead (5-0) or tied at the half (1-0).

But questions remain and there are reasons to be guarded.

Quarterback Geno Smith closed the year on a tear, but he turned the ball over 25 times in all and five of his interceptions were returned for touchdowns. In finishing -14 in the turnover department, the Jets were a -70 when the ball changed hands as a result of a takeaway. Only the Texans (-20) and cross-town Giants (-15) were worse.

The Jets had the NFL’s 31st ranked passing offense and they ranked T20 in pass plays of 20 yards (47) and T28 in pass plays of 40 yards (6). And while the "D" was more stout against the run than any club (3.4 yards/carry), the Jets were susceptible against the big pass plays.

No different than any club, the Jets have to make important decisions with players already under contract including the likes of Antonio Cromartie, Mark Sanchez and Santonio Holmes. But GM John Idzik, who did a nice job last season cleaning up the team’s cap situation, has some flexibility to attack free agency.

Regardless if Smith is the long-term answer at quarterback, the Jets need more explosive talent on offense. This is a scoring league and the AFC Title Game this year once again featured Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. The Broncos led the NFL with 37.9 points per game and the Patriots finished 2nd in the AFC at 27.8 points a contest.

While fans clamor for Eric Decker, Jeremy Maclin or James Jones, Idzik and his personnel staff have to determine what to do with their own set of 16 unrestricted free agents and that list includes K Nick Folk, RT Austin Howard, OLB Calvin Pace, G Willie Colon, TEs Jeff Cumberland and Kellen Winslow and future Hall of Fame Safety Ed Reed.

Idzik will take a need-based approach to free agency and then will plan to stick to a talent-based approach to the draft in May. The Jets own selections in every round and should have four of the top 80 picks overall because they’ll get an additional third-rounder coming to them from the Bucs after the Darrelle Revis trade. Compensatory selections are on the way as well.

The confetti fell tonight. We turn the page. And tomorrow, we pen the first sentence of a new Jets chapter — 2014.

> http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/arti...1-9cc0e78a2bdd

Archived