Mark Sanchez

Smashmouth

sets us back from what? not like we are speeding down the highway and this will throw up the parking brake.

We're trying to set ourselves up for long term stability. How did that trade up work out for Washington? Yes they got some immediate results but they have no stability after firing their coach and with RG3 looking like he's made of plastic.

Unless you think the guy you're getting is Elway you use your picks to build up your roster until you find the QB you like. Sort of like what Idzik and co. did in Seattle,

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sets us back from what? not like we are speeding down the highway and this will throw up the parking brake.

we need both. short term bandaid and young promising qb--although i disagree on cousins, i agree with the concept

yeah Cousins had more going for him at the end of last year than he does now for sure but Shanahan was going berserk at the end of the season doing some really stupid things no telling what effect that had on Cousins who seemed much different than before.

I currently don't think Manziel is that guy. It'll be interesting to see what the combine brings. The fact that Bortles, Bridgewater, and Manziel are all projected to either go #1 overall, or drop out of the top ten (or lower) suggests to me like they all have a lot of question marks. Probably too many to give up your next three first rounders.

If over the course of the draft, one of these guys does drop out of the top ten, then you can start looking at a more modest -and reasonable- deal.

Im cool with this I hope Manziel drops right into our laps.

That's why I think it would come for less than what Washington Offered for RGIII to get Manziel. If we had to give up next years number 1 and some picks this year (maybe a 2 or a 3) to get Manziel I would do it. Keeping in mind Seattle built their team with a bunch of 4th to 6th round picks that are now playing at insanely high levels. We as Jets fans are not used to that kind of Draft success but maybe Idzik can change that.

If a guy like Luck was to be in this years draft, one of the most highly touted QB's ever, it might cost even more than what Washington paid

The primary reason Jet fans aren't used to that is because Tannenbaum traded half of them away.

My plan for this offseason would be rebuilding with the idea that Geno will probably be the starter, with a focus on completely overhauling the worst receiving corps in football. I'd get a vet in who can actually play, and target a QB in the mid rounds (a Mettenberger or Garoppolo) to also compete/develop. Like I said above, if one of the top guys drops, you adjust, but that would be my plan going in.

If none of those QBs work out this year, at least the receivers would be vastly improved, and the stage would be better set to make a major move at QB in 2015.

we need both. short term bandaid and young promising qb--although i disagree on cousins, i agree with the concept

Great post. your right, set us back from 8-8, 6-10,8-8, the past 3 years? Setting us back is when we give extensions to Qb's that have proven to be an abomination, and hopefully we don't make that mistake with the one we have. Trading up to get Manziel would set this franchise FORWARD for the next 10 years or so, not set it back, like the Sanchez contract.

There are probably four QBs in next year's draft that are better prospects than any QB coming out this year. Trading up for a QB in this draft is idiocy.

People evaluate QB's every year how often are they correct ? Its all about how the team feels about a certain prospect that dictates what they do in the draft. If we all knew what to expect at the QB position guys like Rogers would have gone number 1 over all .

Manziel is a wild card type player so it makes 100 % sense why people would not like that move so its easy to agree with that logic either way I think hes still going to be a winner in the NFL who can turn something into nothing we have not seen since Fran Tarkenton.

That's why I think it would come for less than what Washington Offered for RGIII to get Manziel. If we had to give up next years number 1 and some picks this year (maybe a 2 or a 3) to get Manziel I would do it. Keeping in mind Seattle built their team with a bunch of 4th to 6th round picks that are now playing at insanely high levels. We as Jets fans are not used to that kind of Draft success but maybe Idzik can change that.

If a guy like Luck was to be in this years draft, one of the most highly touted QB's ever, it might cost even more than what Washington paid

Great post, could not agree more. It may take exchanging this years #1, next years #1 , and a #2 this year or next. WORTH every bit of doing it if we get Manziel. Dude is the ultimate playmaker.This franchise and city would be bonkers over this kid. first time since JoeWillie that this fanbase would be truly juiced. I pray Idzik has the stones to do it.

People evaluate QB's every year how often are they correct ? Its all about how the team feels about a certain prospect that dictates what they do in the draft. If we all knew what to expect at the QB position guys like Rogers would have gone number 1 over all .

manzile is a wild card type player so it makes 100 % sense why people would not like that move so its easy to agree with that logic either way I think hes still going to be a winner in the NFL who can turn something into nothing we have not seen since Fran Tarkington.

Scouts were spot-on with Andrew Luck. There are no Andrew Lucks in this draft. Let some other team move up for Manziel and be dead wrong. Idzik comes from an org that got Russell Wilson in the 3rd.

Great post. your right, set us back from 8-8, 6-10,8-8, the past 3 years? Setting us back is when we give extensions to Qb's that have proven to be an abomination, and hopefully we don't make that mistake with the one we have. Trading up to get Manziel would set this franchise FORWARD for the next 10 years or so, not set it back, like the Sanchez contract.

Please. Let's not act like the magic dwarf is anything remotely close to a sure thing.

There are probably four QBs in next year's draft that are better prospects than any QB coming out this year. Trading up for a QB in this draft is idiocy.

[/quote

Who?

Ive got Winston and Mariota? Who are the other 2? And weren't people saying the same thing last year? That you would be crazy to take a Qb (Manuel, Smith, Glennon) from this class considering the class coming out this year. Is the next class always the best?

Great post, could not agree more. It may take exchanging this years #1, next years #1 , and a #2 this year or next. WORTH every bit of doing it if we get Manziel. Dude is the ultimate playmaker.This franchise and city would be bonkers over this kid. first time since JoeWillie that this fanbase would be truly juiced. I pray Idzik has the stones to do it.

Your overwhelming confidence in Manziel should be reason enough to give pause to the "trade two firsts for Manziel" contingent.

There is no doubt manziel would complexly energize this Team and this City but in reality there are questions to consider like durability that's the ONLY thing about him that scares me in making that kind of move. if durability was not in question I would trade up in a heart beat

There is no doubt manziel would complexly energize this Team and this City but in reality there are questions to consider like durability that's the ONLY thing about him that scares me in making that kind of move. if durability was not in question I would trade up in a heart beat

Fair enough. I agree, its the ONLY issue, but I would still make the trade.

I worry that his game in no way shape or form will translate well in the pros but that's just me. Give me a pocket passer any day. I don't care about energy. I care about wins, and a lot of years of wins. Manziel is the wrong guy to get.

Smashmouth and joewillie78 both think I am stupid and know nothing about football.

Probably the best compliment I've gotten on this board in years.

Never said anything of the sort. Only stated that you believe everything you read, Like the Wells report. Try being more cynical, it works great.

Pennington was great like Coors Lite is a great beer. You have weak tastes.

Also, how does Rex get the blame for taking Geno Smith?

Whoops, forgot, if things go great, it was REX, if they go sour it wasn't Rex?

You mean to insinuate that a COACH has no input into who a teams next FRANCHISE QB will be? Wow.

Maybe their is hope that Rex tells IDZIK, please no Johnny Manziel.

Archived