Redskins to franchise Brian Orakpo

brian101193

The Washington Redskins are prepared to designate Brian Orakpo as their franchise player if they are unable to reach a long-term deal with the linebacker prior to Monday's 4 p.m. ET deadline, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Ed Werder.

[+] Enlargenfl_a_BrianOrakpo_cmg_600_300x200.jpg
AP Photo/Michael PerezBrian Orakpo led the Redskins with 10 sacks this past season.

Orakpo would be paid just under $11.5 million for one season if the Redskins choose to use their franchise tag on him

Orakpo, a three-time Pro Bowler, led the Redskins with 10 sacks this past season, including seven in his final seven games. He missed the final 14 regular-season games in 2012 with a torn pectoral muscle, but in 2013 he only missed the season finale with a groin injury.

Orakpo, who turns 29 on July 31, has recorded 39.5 career sacks since 2009 when the Redskins selected him in the first round.

He started his career as a 4-3 outside linebacker, then stayed outside when the Redskins switched to a 3-4 defensive scheme.

ESPN.com Redskins reporter John Keim contributed to this report.

nooooooooo

Stay calm, the MOST important position in all of sports is the QB, and we will definitely now be getting either Josh McCown or Mike Vick, the two best FA QB's on the market.  When we solve our biggest weakness with one of these dudes, we become instant contenders.

Stay calm, the MOST important position in all of sports is the QB, and we will definitely now be getting either Josh McCown or Mike Vick, the two best FA QB's on the market.  When we solve our biggest weakness with one of these dudes, we become instant contenders.

I just dont see how this is true, who is Josh McCown or Vick gonna throw too?

I just dont see how this is true, who is Josh McCown or Vick gonna throw too?

As I have said before, we will draft at least 2 WR's , one being a stud at #18. This is the best class of WR's in any draft. Its loaded. and if by some miracle, we can also add a FA WR, we will be stacked for McCown or Vick. 50-1 baby.

The day when you convince yourself that Josh McCown and Michael Vick make any team instant contenders, is the day you need to take a time out from football for a bit.

The day when you convince yourself that Josh McCown and Michael Vick make any team instant contenders, is the day you need to take a time out from football for a bit.

I'm trying to convince myself that when we have the lowest rated QB in the NFL, we are still contenders and that is driving me to drink.

Archived