Chris Johnson on Jets-Titans matchup: 'I can't wait for that game'

F.Chowds

FLORHAM PARK – After spending his first six NFL seasons with the Titans, running back Chris Johnson was ready for a change. The Titans, of course, forced him into accepting change by cutting him during the offseason.

The Jets signed Johnson, who said Thursday that he is looking forward to winning with the Jets – and to showing the Titans they made a mistake by releasing him.

“It’s just a situation where I want to come in here and win,” he said. “I think I needed a fresh start, being with Tennessee for so long. Sometimes, a fresh start is good for players, so I feel like that’s something that I needed. Any time a player gets released from a team that he’s been with so long, he always wants to go out there and prove that team wrong for letting him go. It’s something else to put a chip on your shoulder and help you work hard, and extra motivation.”

Johnson is already anticipating the Jets’ Dec. 14 game at the Titans.

“Most definitely, I can’t wait for that game,” he said.

During Johnson’s six seasons with the Titans, they only made the playoffs in his rookie year. He still ran for 1,077 yards last season, so it wasn’t like he showed he could no longer help the Titans. But his 3.9 yards per carry were a career low. Moreover, the Titans saved $6 million in salary cap space by cutting him.

The Jets improved their offense in the offseason, adding Eric Decker (the top free agent receiver available), as they try to end a three-year playoff drought in 2014. Johnson’s perception of the Jets as a potential contender is one thing that attracted him to the team during free agency.

“I think it’s a situation where I think this team (the Jets) is right on the edge of winning and making the playoffs,” Johnson said. “After being in the league for six years and only going to the playoffs once, that’s something that a guy of my caliber would look toward – winning and playing in late December and January, and hopefully trying to make it to the big game.”

There will be challenges with a new organization, of course. Eventually, Johnson will have to play in backfield-by-committee for the first time in his career, once he finishes rehabbing his surgically repaired knee.

For now, his biggest challenge is learning the Jets’ playbook, which differs from the Titans’, in how plays and blocking schemes are labeled numerically, Johnson said.

“But if I just continue to study, I’ll pick it up pretty easy,” Johnson said. 

We can sure use him. They handled us last time . Its one of those swing games that we have to win to get to the playoffs. We don't have a lot of games we can't afford to lose. This is one of those games. In Tenn. We need him to explode.

We can sure use him. They handled us last time . Its one of those swing games that we have to win to get to the playoffs. We don't have a lot of games we can't afford to lose. This is one of those games. In Tenn. We need him to explode.

I hate playing in Tenn. Last 2 years they've embarrassed us. When I saw this schedule I was like seriously titans in Tennessee again? And I hate that we play Pittsburgh. It's like an automatic loss every single time.

I hate playing in Tenn. Last 2 years they've embarrassed us. When I saw this schedule I was like seriously titans in Tennessee again? And I hate that we play Pittsburgh. It's like an automatic loss every single time.

It's the East Coast version of the Raiders game. Seemed like we had to make that trip to Oakland every freaking year. If I see @ Tenn. next year, I'm taking out a contract on Goodell.

Archived