Judy Battista wraps up the Idzik v Rex conversation nicely here

T0mShane

This whole idea that Idzik has some master plan would be far worse than incompetence. So he would tank drafts, decimate certain positions, alienate free agents and their agents, and set a coach up to fail (when Rex can do that just fine on his own), damaging the lockerooom culture to get his own guy? What coach is going to come into that situation?

Rex has to go, but the Jets would be looking at High School coaches if that was the case.

Here's a little chronological oddity I like to refer to when I think of John Idzik's possible plan:

Idzik was named Jets GM on January 18th, 2013.

Darrell Bevell signed a one-year extension to remain the Seahawks OC exactly one day prior to that.

Coincidence, perhaps. But it looks to me like a handshake agreement between the Seahawks and Bevell and Idzik to leave their guy alone for a year.

My belief is that the Seahawks Super Bowl run, combined with Woody getting conned by the Jets going 8-8 last year, set Idzik's plan back a year.

I believe that Rex will be fired, Bevell will be hired, and they're going to let Bevell pick his own skill position players when he gets here.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a little chronological oddity I like to refer to when I think of John Idzik's possible plan:

Idzik was named Jets GM on January 18th, 2013.

Darrell Bevell signed a one-year extension to remain the Seahawks OC exactly one day prior to that.

Coincidence, perhaps. But it looks to me like a handshake agreement between the Seahawks and Bevell and Idzik to leave their guy alone for a year.

My belief is that the Seahawks Super Bowl run, combined with Woody getting conned by the Jets going 8-8 last year, set Idzik's plan back a year.

I believe that Rex will be fired, Bevell will be hired, and they're going to let Bevell pick his own skill position players when he gets here.

Conspiracy theories aside, I have zero interest in another promoted coordinator if/when Rex is fired. Let's get a guy in here who's done the job before.

Idzik certainly has much to prove moving forward, but what's becoming clearer is the degree to which Rex has helped tie the noose around his own neck. Could Idzik have tried to bail him out with a few free agent acquisitions this year? Sure. But saving the coach from himself, while jeopardizing his own long-term flexibility, is in no one's best interest other than Rex's.

it's like we didn't even read the same article.   

I read the article as a total indictment of Idzik and his talentless roster.   You saw it as somehow poking at Rex for the lack of offensive talent.   Why split hairs, let's just blow it up and start over with a new regime.  

the next question is whether you start with a GM or a HC?   a strong GM means no shot at "name" coaches.   starting with the HC means no chance at a true personnel oriented GM.    I could totally see Woody bringing Holmgren in next yr to run the whole show.  

As much as you want it, Parcells isn't coming back.

Thats what this is going to take. It's going to take someone to come in here and rip it apart from the top down to the water boys. You let Idzik Hire Quinn or Bevell and the Jets are a guaranteed 5-11 next year.

When your O goes 3 and out 6 times. and you only have 12 possessions, it's a good thing holding Manning and the Bronco's to 24 points

What if Rex's "elite" defense forced the Broncos and Manning to 6, 3-and outs?

The soft Jets defense ranks dead last in the NFL in INT's and forced fumbles.

But yea, the Jets are 1-5 because of the offense.

it's like we didn't even read the same article.

I read the article as a total indictment of Idzik and his talentless roster. You saw it as somehow poking at Rex for the lack of offensive talent. Why split hairs, let's just blow it up and start over with a new regime.

the next question is whether you start with a GM or a HC? a strong GM means no shot at "name" coaches. starting with the HC means no chance at a true personnel oriented GM. I could totally see Woody bringing Holmgren in next yr to run the whole show.

Holmgren was semi-retired when he was running the Browns into the ground.

Battista was indicting the whole organization, including Idzik. The entire product is riddled with dysfunction.

Holmgren was semi-retired when he was running the Browns into the ground.

Battista was indicting the whole organization, including Idzik. The entire product is riddled with dysfunction.

Let's fire them all, move the team to Berlin, and let me get back to being a music fan. I can't name a current baseball player. I love that.

******* Jets will probably move training camp back to LI just as I'm ready to jump ship.

Let's fire them all, move the team to Berlin, and let me get back to being a music fan. I can't name a current baseball player. I love that.

******* Jets will probably move training camp back to LI just as I'm ready to jump ship.

Sometimes I wonder how my worldview would change if the Jets were ever actually good for a five-year stretch of time.

Thats what this is going to take. It's going to take someone to come in here and rip it apart from the top down to the water boys. You let Idzik Hire Quinn or Bevell and the Jets are a guaranteed 5-11 next year.

Maybe, but I think you're underestimating how poor the leadership within the Jets is. Rex is a substitute teacher and the players know it.

Archived