Of all the talented players Rex has destroyed and/or wasted

AFJF

Which one will be the first to make go to Canton once they escape his grasp and get to show the world just how talented they are?

Vernon Gholston?  Mark Sanchez?  Geno Smith?  Stephen Hill?  Vlad Ducasse? Quinton Coples? Kyle Wilson?  Greg McElroy?  Scotty McKnight? Greg McElroy?  Joe McKnight?  Brian Winters?  Shonn Greene?  Josh Bush?  

So many great players to choose from that I just can't decide, but if I had to pick one, it would actually be Kenrick Ellis.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They'll have to race to the podium to beat all the great players he coached up.

He doesn't coach anyone up.  Any good players were already that good when they arrived.

He made Terrell Suggs. Just ask him.

Sticking with the topic, of all the great players he has failed to turn in to household  names, which is the first to go to Canton once he's gone?  Or a pro-bowl even?  I say it's Ellis or Coples if somebody puts him in the right spot.  Still not sold on Kyle Wilson as an elite shutdown CB yet.

There are other threads for that, could we discuss the plethora of talented players that Rex has failed to develop?

It's one in the same. The penalties and lack of awareness is on Rex. The poor special teams play is on Rex. Rex isn't developing these guys in any phase of the game.

It's one in the same. The penalties and lack of awareness is on Rex. The poor special teams play is on Rex. Rex isn't developing these guys in any phase of the game

Currently, the Jets have the 8th most penalties in the NFL.

Who's ahead of them?

The Pats,  who are led by the greatest coach in the NFL.

The Steelers, who have a harsh disciplinarian roaming the sidelines.

The 49ers, who are coached by the guy who many Jets fans want brought in to instill the discipline that Rex's team lacks.

The Seahawks, who are coached by another great one who got away.

So, the Jets commit penalties because Rex has no control over his players and they're undisciplined?  Interesting.

But back to the thread topic, how many of the previously listed players will become all-time greats once Rex is gone and he can no longer hold them back?

Three drafts under Eric Mangini and Mike Tannenbaum resulted in 15 Pro Bowls nominations for the players coming out of those drafts (Leon Washington, Brick, Mangold, Revis).

In six drafts under Rex Ryan, there have been zero such nominations. 

Is there any parricular reason why you continue to not answer the question?  There are other threads for you to say a million other things about Rex.  My question was, once Rex is gone, which of the previously mentioned players will make us forget Lawrence Taylor, Deion Sanders, and Dan Marino?  It's only a matter of time before Rex is gone, so make the predictions now.

Currently, the Jets have the 8th most penalties in the NFL.

Who's ahead of them?

The Pats, who are led by the greatest coach in the NFL.

The Steelers, who have a harsh disciplinarian roaming the sidelines.

The 49ers, who are coached by the guy who many Jets fans want brought in to instill the discipline that Rex's team lacks.

The Seahawks, who are coached by another great one who got away.

So, the Jets commit penalties because Rex has no control over his players and they're undisciplined? Interesting.

But back to the thread topic, how many of the previously listed players will become all-time greats once Rex is gone and he can no longer hold them back?

Penalties, turnovers is on the coaching.

Three drafts under Eric Mangini and Mike Tannenbaum resulted in 15 Pro Bowls nominations for the players coming out of those drafts (Leon Washington, Brick, Mangold, Revis).

In six drafts under Rex Ryan, there have been zero such nominations. 

So when the players worked out, it was a combo of head coach/GM, but when they didn't, was strictly the coach?  Please leave the agenda at the door and answer the question.  Does Tebow come back in to the league and revolutionize the passing game with Rex out of the picture?

So when the players worked out, it was a combo of head coach/GM, but when they didn't, was strictly the coach?  Please leave the agenda at the door and answer the question.  Does Tebow come back in to the league and revolutionize the passing game with Rex out of the picture?

Did you read Collision Low Crossers?

Wen you look at the offensive talent that Rex inherited and the careers they're having after the Jets, it's really all you need to know about Rex Ryan.

Kellen Clemens, Thomas Jones, Cotch, Chansi Stuckey, Keller, Brad Smith - are all tearing the league apart and this guy couldn't coach them up.

Unreal. That 1-15 season in 09 was a disaster.

The roster was loaded.

What I'm saying is part of the topic. The jets roster isn't great but it's certainly not a 1-8 roster. The difference between Cleveland and the Jets is coaching.

Not at all really.  The thread specifically asks which players that Rex has ruined will go on to greatness once they escape him.  I didn't see you name a single player.  I at least offered two, and admitted that I need to see more of Kyle Wilson before I decide

Did you read Collision Low Crossers?

If you want to start a thread about books/magazines/newspapers/comic books we've read, I'd be happy to take part.  Just want the predictions of greatness now, since so many people all of a sudden KNEW that Mike Pettine was bound for greatness along with Mark Sanchez.  I'd just rather see your predictions now, rather than coming along later and saying you knew Vlad Ducasse was going to win multiple MVPs.

Not at all really. The thread specifically asks which players that Rex has ruined will go on to greatness once they escape him. I didn't see you name a single player. I at least offered two, and admitted that I need to see more of Kyle Wilson before I decide

It's not about greatness it's about getting positive production. It's a sloppy team because there's no accountability. Why are we trying to name specific players? Look at the overall product...it's not hard to see there's a coaching problem. Turnover prone sloppy teams is coaching. We could have all pros at every spot and we wouldn't win because there's no discipline.

It's not about greatness it's about getting positive production. It's a sloppy team because there's no accountability. Why are we trying to name specific players? Look at the overall product...it's not hard to see there's a coaching problem. Turnover prone sloppy teams is coaching. We could have all pros at every spot and we wouldn't win because there's no discipline.

Just asking for specific players because all of a sudden half the board knew Mike Pettine was the brains behind the top ranked defenses when Rex was in charge and Mark Sanchez was going to be an uber talented QB.  Nobody was saying that in week one, but now we're being told that people "knew all along".  So, I thought it would be fun to get people to go on record now.  We all know that at least 75% of the players on this roster are going to the pro-bowl over the next few years, just wanted people's "most likely" to go.

Just asking for specific players because all of a sudden half the board knew Mike Pettine was the brains behind the top ranked defenses when Rex was in charge and Mark Sanchez was going to be an uber talented QB. Nobody was saying that in week one, but now we're being told that people "knew all along". So, I thought it would be fun to get people to go on record now. We all know that at least 75% of the players on this roster are going to the pro-bowl over the next few years, just wanted people's "most likely" to go.

So you want Rex to continue to coach the team and the GM fired?

Let's try this then...of the players initially listed, which three will have the most productive careers once Rex is gone?  

Let's try this then...of the players initially listed, which three will have the most productive careers once Rex is gone?

I think Coples in a non club med environment could be productive. But again naming specific players is kind of silly when everyone on the team is underachieving including the good players. Wilkerson and Sheldon aren't having good years either.

Still not sold on Kyle Wilson as an elite shutdown CB yet.

Kyle Wilson shows everyone - every week - why he will soon be doing oil changes somewhere, bro.

Aren't you thinking of the oft injured, bite on every play fake, Dee Milliner?

So you want Rex to continue to coach the team and the GM fired?

I'll answer your question if you'll answer mine.  I would like to see a football person brought in as the new GM and let him meet with Rex and any players he sees fit. Evaluate what Rex was able to get out of the talent he was given, and make the decision himself.  I don't want to see any NFL HC fired because he's playing practice squad material as his starting CB's in a QB driven league, and has yet to have a QB who can make more than one and throw 20ish ints every season.  I want an established football mind to determine whether or not Rex should stay.  I don't want fans who ignore circumstances and invent media conspiracy theories driving the decision.

Now, back to my question.  Which players have been most damaged by Rex's presence and will be the most productive once he's gone.

Archived