Blueprint for the Jets future (long)

Jetster

I've been thinking "how do you turn the Jets around quickly", based on the fact we have so many fans that believe after cleaning house this is a 5 year resurrection project.

I can tell you this, the first thing we shouldn't do is make Mo Wilkerson the 2nd highest paid Dlineman behind Watt. That would be a classic Jet mistake, overpaying an above average player who's not close to the superstar Watt is.

One of the worst things Rex has done to this team is load it up with run stuffers that can't get to the QB consistently. While I like Big Mo, he disappears a lot but he doesn't get any help in the pass rush from our LBs. Rex has eschewed pass rushing LBs his entire tenure here.

So, we have Barnes, Ellis, & Snacks? Overkill!

I thought we should have moved Ellis for a draft pick. Ok I get that there has to be suiters but there were a lot of teams losing interior defenders during the year like Arizona, (now he walks probably right to Miami or New England) and helps their run defense.

Our secondary was a mess after losing McDougle and then Milliner but the real culprit is the complete lack of a sudden pass rush and how bad Pryor & Landry have been on the backend.

Though I don't think he's a starting CB, Walls had some horrible luck, and many, many bad PIs & holding calls against him, he's good depth.Williams is a keeper (this is how guys like this get found after injuries), hopefully Milliner can come back & McDougle is a huge ? but might be a player, Pryor steps into the SS (not giving up on him, Berry in KC took 3 years to come around), that means we need to find a FS.

So, my point is that with some tweaking of this defense (reduce Harris salary & make him a 2 down back), cut Pace and find an OLB pass rusher. Maybe trade Snacks as right now he's rated very highly to a team that can't stop the run, (Dallas?, Chicago? Minny?)

You guys are probably thinking already, "this guys crazy!"

Here is what I'm thinking.....Suh should be our target! Big Mo, Suh, Coples.

Now you find some really fast LBs that can compliment Davis behind these monsters.

The holes in the Jets defense are obvious but can be fixed quickly by guys returning from injury & going after a player like Suh to take the pressure off Mo & Coples to be the only pass rushers.

While everyone in the media keeps calling Rex a defensive genius I honestly believe he's a one trick pony & every coach in the AFC East has figured that out. I don't know what our 3rd down defense looks like % wise but I would venture to say we might be 32nd or close to it. I would think another DC might be able to do better, only place to go from there is up from Teflon Rex.

So, we go after Suh, trade a run stuffer, look for some fast LBs in FA & the draft on defense.

Offense

FIX THE OLINE! #1 priority.

Doesn't matter who you put back there until you fix this mess it won't matter.

FA should be Mike Iupati! Draft in 2nd round any the best Olineman not from a division 2 school like that f#cking Ducasse disaster! Once you do that you can get a hold the fort guy if we take a Mariota 1st overall.

Let's hope the next coach we get doesn't tell us how great the teams GOING to be. Or how this MIGHT be the best defense he'd ever coached or how GREAT each player is until they are actually great.

You look back in history and you'll see that Rex was his own worst enemy when it came to Revis. He just had to climb to the mountain (podium) and scream each & every week that Revis was the best CB to EVER play the game. Instead of someone like Belichick, "he does a great job for this team in the scheme we run".

God, I hope we can find a coach as good as Rex that can lead us to 2 wins in our 1st 12 games next year.

Teflon Rex, I'm happy this regime will be gone.

Overall nice post but you failed to mention Richardson.  I agree that OL is a top priority.  I don't understand Idzik in his tenure counting on guys like Peterman, Colon, Winters.  The OL is way more important than that.  I pray Mariota is available and we have to wisdom to let him sit for a year.   

So you don't want to make Mo the second highest paid DL, but you want to sign Suh who will likely be the highest paid one??

Suh is much better than Mo & much more disruptive. I want to sign Mo but it has to be a reasonable contract.

There are not many teams with gobs of money to spend in FA.

Oakland will be saddled with all kinds of dead money over the next 2 years. They did what the Jets use to do signing players like Howard, Jones-Drew, Tuck.

People here wanted to sign Revis for 20 million?

I say be creative & sign Suh & Mo for that same 20 million so you don't need 2 great corners.

Both are young & in their prime.

Overall nice post but you failed to mention Richardson.  I agree that OL is a top priority.  I don't understand Idzik in his tenure counting on guys like Peterman, Colon, Winters.  The OL is way more important than that.  I pray Mariota is available and we have to wisdom to let in sit for a year.

Oops, that's probably why it didn't look as good.

I want the Jets to go back to a 4-3

Coples-Richardson-Wilkerson-Suh

That is a truly Nasty Dline that has guys that can play any position which means they could move guys around to take advantage of opponents weaknesses on their Olines.

You draft more speed at LB move Pryor to SS, build AAs confidence back up & move him strictly to FS.

Buffalo abused us with their 4-3.

Can't even come close to relying on Milliner (achilles) and McDougle (ACL). Those are very serious injuries for a position that relies on speed and change of direction. In McDougle's case, the guy will have gone two years without playing. The Jets need to do what they needed to do last year: get a quality starting CB in free agency.

Archived