2010 defense vs 2015 defense

Jetster

If the NY Jets draft Fowler/Ray/Beasley at 6 they could overtake Seahawks as best defense in the league.

Here was our starting Dline in 2010

Defensive linemen

70 Mike DeVito DE

94 Marcus Dixon NT

92 Shaun Ellis DE

50 Vernon Gholston DE

71 Jarron Gilbert DE

91 Sione Pouha NT

93 Trevor Pryce DE

96 Martin Tevaseu NT

Talk about your hold the fort guys! Fast forward to 2015 & we have:

Mo Wilkerson

Sheldon Richardson

Quinton Coples

Damon Harrison

Now, with our restocked secondary of Revis, Cro, Skrine, Gilchrist added to Pryor, AA, Williams, Milliner, McDougle we have incredible depth & versatility.

We have Harris & Davis, so adding an OLB at 6 would be the icing on the cake. I also see us drafting an ILB at some point in the draft.

Talent wise this 2015 team is way more talented at each position. This team is going to cause a lot more TOs & that in itself will help out the offense. Bowles must be jumping out of his skin to start coaching up this group. The depth is amazing compared to 2010 also.

It honestly depends on what our offense does. If we're able to score some points and make the other team one dimensional the we have a chance of having one of those all-time type defenses. Thats why the Hawks defense was so good. Their offense was running the ball effectively and then ending drives with touchdowns. If the Jets can do that I can see this defense displaying total dominance. 

On paper it's a better defense now but we'll see how it plays out. Pouha was garbage early on, then he started to play really well. DeVito was a nobody. On paper nobody expected that group to be that good but it worked out. We'll see how these guys do this year but if they don't finish in the top 3 they will have underachieved bigtime. Mo is better than Pryce was. Sheldon is way better than Shaun. Snacks is way better than Pouha was. Our LB corps just isn't good. Pace is a backup, Babin is a backup. DD doesn't make any plays and Harris has about 2 good years left in him. We need some playmakers. Hoping we land Fowler and pair him up with IK to go after the QB. Up front you have Snacks & Mo inside with Coples & Sheldon on the outside. That's a stud defense on paper, our backfield not even included. So much potential.

I expect them to make some more moves at Linebacker.

Depending on what they do in the draft, Pace or Babin will probably not make the roster.

I'm going back to take a look at our LB group in 2010.

52 David Harris ILB

56 Lance Laury ILB

53 Josh Mauga ILB

97 Calvin Pace OLB/DE

57 Bart Scott ILB

99 Jason Taylor OLB/DE

58 Bryan Thomas OLB/DE

55 Jamaal Westerman OLB/DE

Along with Harris & Davis, we need to have IK take the spot of Pace or Babin. Jets will definitely be taking an OLB & if he turns into a stud, we have enough on the Dline & in the secondary to really improve.

From what I've been reading about Bowles big nickel look for us to draft a somewhat "smaller" really fast LB in the 230-240 range. Bowles likes to have guys that can fly around behind the line & make play or be able to slide out into coverage & take down RBs coming out of the backfield.

Here's the secondary group from this 2010 team:

34 Marquice Cole CB

30 Drew Coleman CB

37 Emanuel Cook SS

31 Antonio Cromartie CB

44 James Ihedigbo SS

26 Dwight Lowery CB

22 Brodney Pool FS

24 Darrelle Revis CB

33 Eric Smith FS

20 Kyle Wilson CB

Revis & Cro are a lot older but they both played well last year.

The POTENTIAL of the new guys is much higher than the rest of the guys on that list. The safeties were MUCH slower than the group we have now with Pryor-Gilchrist- AA

Skrine is better than Wilson

The huge question marks are Milliner & McDougle who would be the Cole & Coleman of that group.

Milliner before injury was head & shoulders above those guys. McDougle showed flashes in camp & by most accounts was going to send Wilson or any of the scrubs other than Williams to the bench.

Such a shame with McDougles injury, as he would have gotten a lot of reps last year.

The defense ON PAPER is way better than in 2010 when they had their last great year on D.

Bowles is lauded as a very good coach, I like the guy he brought in from Miami who have has a solid defense for a few years now.

I hate to say it but I think Rex has the pcs up in Buffalo to have a kickazz defense too.

I see Seahawks, Bills, Jets as the best defenses in the league next year.

Only Hawks have a real QB.

Many are talking about Miami because of the addition of Suh but they also lost Starks & Odrick?

How does that make you better? It's not that easy to replace experience.

It honestly depends on what our offense does. If we're able to score some points and make the other team one dimensional the we have a chance of having one of those all-time type defenses. Thats why the Hawks defense was so good. Their offense was running the ball effectively and then ending drives with touchdowns. If the Jets can do that I can see this defense displaying total dominance. 

Basically starts and ends every honest discussion about these NY Jets.  

Archived