2015 Jets Tight End Usage by Chan? Opinions?

SouthernJet

How do you envision the Jets using TE's fo rmost part in 2015. a) Double TE alignment w/Cumberland/Amaro in traditional point of field? B) 2 TE set w/Amaro split out on QB signals and Cumberland stationary. c) Both Cumberland/Amaro in motion quite a bit or finally, d) 1 TE sets with either Amaro or Cumberland establishing themselves and other TE relegated to lots of 'pine time'?

Disclaime: This is just a discussion thread, and  I KNOW it's early and I know we have seen Gailey Offenses before on film, but one never knows how he will 'retro-fit' this years roster scheme. Juts BSing in slow time before exhibition etc starts........

I thought this was going to be a thread on how opposing teams were going to use their TEs against the Jets as in "are we still going to be weak against them" and if Bowles' defense in Arizona last year was an indication, the answer is probably "yes".

re-did thread title.......

How do you envision the Jets using TE's fo rmost part in 2015. a) Double TE alignment w/Cumberland/Amaro in traditional point of field? B) 2 TE set w/Amaro split out on QB signals and Cumberland stationary. c) Both Cumberland/Amaro in motion quite a bit or finally, d) 1 TE sets with either Amaro or Cumberland establishing themselves and other TE relegated to lots of 'pine time'?

Disclaime: This is just a discussion thread, and  I KNOW it's early and I know we have seen Gailey Offenses before on film, but one never knows how he will 'retro-fit' this years roster scheme. Juts BSing in slow time before exhibition etc starts........

Bowles has already indicated that Cumberland will be the starting TE, and Amaro will play H back.

Interestingly enough, even before his back injury, in OTA's Amaro was practicing on field #2 with the roster fringe players, and late round draft picks.   Not real sure what to make of that.

Wondering if that was just a reaction to Amaro's jousting with Rex. 

Not sure how much a 3 WR set matters to the TE.  They already don't have a FB.  If they are running 3 WR + 1 RB, they will have room for a TE or HB.  I thought we would see a ton of Amaro out of the backfield and split out in the slot.  The mini-camp reports were not very encouraging. 

When you look at Gailey's TE usage, you see what people mean by building the offense around what he has.  When he had Mark Bruener, Clarence Kay or Dave LeFleur not much went the TE's way.  When he had Tony Gonzalez 150+ targets went that way. 

I think Gailey gives a decent amount of targets the way of a TE, but it really depends on the coverage that comes his way.  Assuming, Marshall/Decker/Smith on the field, and Ivory in the backfield, then the Jets have a ton of options to play with because the defense has to account for many things.  I think we're going to see a ton of pistol formations, to which Geno is familiar with, and Amaro will play various spots from the formation depending on the coverage.  He could stay back for blitz protection, with the RB running out to the other side.  He could act as the FB to the RB running behind him.  He could slide to the TE spot or he could run out to the slot.  Whenever he moves, the defense has to tip their hand on what kind of defense they are playing, giving the QB an advantage.  Target wise, I'm guessing around 75-80 for the TE group, most of it going to Amaro.  I assume Marhsall/Decker when healthy gets about 280 targets between them.  

Archived