Gary Myers "SOJ" piece is hack-job, but has some good quotes

AFJF

No he's not. The QB position is not about stats or "protecting the football" or all the drivel we hear from sports announcers. It is about making plays and extending plays when it matters. Geno has much better tools for this and under Gailey would be able to make plays. Fitz is a noodle armed has been that will have decent looking stats, but when it matters he is not mobile, has no arm to push down the field and is not mobile. When it matters Fitz will come up small but may have a decent looking QBR for the stats nerds.

I'm not quite as down on Fitz, but overall I tend to agree. Geno has it over Fitz in every physical category and, as a fan, I was looking forward to seeing if the Gailey QB guru hype could be even close to reality. Yes, the turnovers would've been painful, but it's hard to get excited about the Jets ground & pounding again behind a game managing Chad Pennington Lite.

And I don't want to see Petty take the field this year. We've got a lottery-like chance that he can be a solid starting QB, and that chance increases if he's not thrust into service before he's ready (see: Sanchez, Mark; Smith, Geno). I hope they either make a low cost trade or find a viable backup to Fitzpatrick in the coming roster cutdowns.

I'm not quite as down on Fitz, but overall I tend to agree. Geno has it over Fitz in every physical category and, as a fan, I was looking forward to seeing if the Gailey QB guru hype could be even close to reality. Yes, the turnovers would've been painful, but it's hard to get excited about the Jets ground & pounding again behind a game managing Chad Pennington Lite.

And I don't want to see Petty take the field this year. We've got a lottery-like chance that he can be a solid starting QB, and that chance increases if he's not thrust into service before he's ready (see: Sanchez, Mark; Smith, Geno). I hope they either make a low cost trade or find a viable backup to Fitzpatrick in the coming roster cutdowns.

If Petty does start at some point, I would say that unlike under Rex which was probably the worst possible environment for a rookie QB to start in, under Gailey and Bowles I think it would be OK. Not optimal, because he does need to sit a year if possible, but I think he could develop in a non caustic positive environment if needed.

Archived