Safety Rontez Miles joins Jets practice squad

jetsjets

Safety Rontez Miles, a popular and relentless player in the locker room and on the field, has returned to the Jets as a member of the practice squad.

Miles was released Sunday when the Jets acquired Ronald Martin on waivers from Seattle. When Miles cleared waivers today, the Green & White added him as the ninth member of the P-squad.

"Rontez had a great camp and I told him that myself," head coach Todd Bowles, the one-time Super Bowl safety, said following today's practice but before Miles' return was announced. "I thought he was the most improved guy. But that doesn’t mean he was ready. There are still some things he has to learn, but I think he was getting there. Just to have him on the team, I thought he need a little bit more time and I loved to work with the guy."

Miles, the winner of last year's Ed Block Courage Award voted on by teammates for fighting back from two injuries during the season, was in his third Jets training camp this summer. His unofficial total of 23 tackles led the defense and was tied for fifth-most in the NFL in the preseason.

Miles' 225 total plays and 189 defensive plays in the Jets' four preseason games were both second on the defense only to LB Trevor Reilly (228, 197).

don't know but keep in mind oday aboushi is added to the roster after week one is done

Curious to see what they do with him...tons of G's on the roster right now.  Seven guys who can play the position.

Odd about Miles too...really thought he played well enough that somebody would've grabbed him...guess not.

Curious to see what they do with him...tons of G's on the roster right now.  Seven guys who can play the position.

Odd about Miles too...really thought he played well enough that somebody would've grabbed him...guess not.

I was thinking the same thing.

I was wondering do you think that teams passed on him because of Bowles reputation?  Could it be that other GMs said if Bowles doesn't think he is ready why should we take a chance on him?

I was thinking the same thing.

I was wondering do you think that teams passed on him because of Bowles reputation?  Could it be that other GMs said if Bowles doesn't think he is ready why should we take a chance on him?

I would expect teams to trust their own evaluations really.  Not like Idzik is still employed as s GM.

I can't believe that Rex didn't put in a claim for him. I thought for sure that would happen when Miles got released.. Anyway, hope it doesn't take long for Miles to get to the active roster, I think he deserves to be there the way he played in the preseason. 

cool

didn't they expand the PS to 10 players ?   any ideas who else might be joining ?

Darryl Slater has a good point on Twitter none of the 9 we have signed are veterans which means we can sign a veteran with the 10th spot 

They still have one openings that can be filled by veterans with as many as two full years of experience on an active roster.

Archived