Jets don't exactly have a replacement for Nick Mangold

Jetfan13

The New York Jets have relied on Nick Mangold to anchor the center of their offensive line for so long, they forgot to sign a backup.

Something that could haunt them this week with the veteran questionable after sustaining a neck injury in the Jets’ 30-23 defeat at New England on Sunday.

“I don’t think anybody can replace him,” guard Willie Colon said of the man to his left, via ESPN. The irreplaceable posted this message on Twitter on Tuesday morning:

Dakota Dozier fit the bill for three snaps at the end of Sunday’s game when Mangold left, slowly, for the sidelines. He was down for two minutes, first face down before sitting up with help from the trainers, after an awkward collision in a mosh pit that resulted of some heady pass protection when the Jets were mounting a failed comeback.

The club tried out Dozier, Wesley Johnson, and Brian Winters for the reserve position this summer, and Todd Bowles eventually okaying Dozier. Johnson sits on their practice squad and Winters was told, “Thanks, but no thanks.” The Jets may be darting a glance in his direction once more.

Mangold’s X-rays came back negative this week, which is always a good sign, but “possible” was how Bowles described the player’s status for their contest in Oakland this coming Sunday.

“Nick is our field general just as much as Fitz is,” Colon said, in reference to the tandem of Mangold and quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick. “He’s everything for us. He’s pretty much a coach on the field. His value is huge.”

The quarterback concurred.

“He saves my butt a lot, too,” Fitzpatrick said. “If they’re getting in different types of looks, we’re able to communicate and sometimes I can lean on him and rely on him to get everything straight up front, especially in the hostile road environments.”

Mangold, a nine-year veteran from Ohio State, has missed only three games in his caree

I feel pretty good in the fact Mangold will play. Ivory and Pryor, not so sure about...

I don't want to underrate Mangold cause he does a lot more than we see as far as being a leader on that O-Line but I'd much rather have the opposite where Ivory and Pryor play and Mangold sits.

CBS showed the video of Mangold's injury only once. Play was pretty much over, pass was out, and scumbag Pats DL grabs him by the front of his shirt collar as he's relaxing a bit and pulls him full force to the ground, banging his facemask. Complete total and absolute intent to injure,needless and dangerous,  roughing or what ever the f__ you want to call it, deserved 15 yards and an ejection. So far, nothing. Good to have the NFL Commissioner's balls in a jar on your owner's mantle. 

CBS showed the video of Mangold's injury only once. Play was pretty much over, pass was out, and scumbag Pats DL grabs him by the front of his shirt collar as he's relaxing a bit and pulls him full force to the ground, banging his facemask. Complete total and absolute intent to injure,needless and dangerous,  roughing or what ever the f__ you want to call it, deserved 15 yards and an ejection. So far, nothing. Good to have the NFL Commissioner's balls in a jar on your owner's mantle. 

I don't remember seeing that or hearing about it from anyone? I love Mangold but from what I saw he fell forward moving in space? Personally I think Mangold weight makes him less agile than he should be. While everyone respects Nick & looks at him as a top Center in the league, I think Kevin Mawae was way more versatile. I remember a game vs the Dolphins & Parcells use to have Mawae snap & then pull, not many centers can do that but Kevin could & he would just seek out & destroy people. Like I said I'm glad Mangold is a Jet but Mawae was a better all around center.

Archived