This was the 1997 Lions loss all over again. Let's hope this has the same story arc

jetscrazey

Today felt a lot like the last game of the 1997 season.  Year 1 of a new regime after blowing it all up.  Exceeded expectations, but failed in week 17 on the road in a "Win and in" situation.

We know what happened the next year: division title.  Let's hope this is the same arc.  The new regime inherited a terrible roster and a questionable culture in the locker room.  It takes more than 1 year to remake the whole roster.  A 2nd offseason should do this new regime well.

The good thing is Maccagnan has not guaranteed too much money into next year.  Some key players will go, but they have a chance to bring in new players who fit their system, and shed some holdovers from the previous regime  Depth in certain key areas needs to improve.

A 10 win season after 4-12 is nothing to be ashamed of.  The Jets with this core can "hang around" with the elite teams when they play well, they proved that.  But next year they need to be more consistent and beat mediocre teams on a consistent basis, and be able to absorb injuries better.

There were still too many of Rex Ryan's losers with that I'm a player who wants a player's coach left on this team-I see a few like Richardson and Pace that I want gone-also we got zero contributions from Kerley, Cumberland, Devin Smith, the other piece of crap at TE keep Marshall Decker and Enunwa and also get rid of Ivory, and Stacey see if Powell can maybe stay healthy we need about 20 new guys-the stink of Rex Ryan was still all over this team.

I'll riddle you another one, jetscrazey.  Something much more recent.  Early 2011, 2nd round of the playoffs.  We go up to Foxboro and beat a Pats team, 28-14 that weeks ago destroyed us 45-3.  An amazing feat, that a lot of us could not believe.  What happens the next week in the AFC Championship game?  The game starts and we don't truly show up to the field until the 3rd quarter, when we are down 24-0.  Reason being, the Pats game was our Superbowl.  We got so emotionally high that we could not come back down and focus on the task at hand - preparing the being ready for the next game.  Same thing happened this week.  I thought this nonsense of not being prepared for games, wasting time outs and shooting ourselves in the foot with penalties left town and went to Buffalo.  Apparently not.  Some of it stayed in Florham Park, NJ with the current coach.  We were unprepared against Houston, and both Buffalo games.  We should have never kept the Bills in this game.  But they dictated that terms of the game.  The buffoon, jackass clown that resides in Buffalo out coached Todd Bowles today.  We were not prepared at all.  Just like the 1st Bills game. 

Don't get me wrong, jetcrazy, I am rather pleased with 4-12 to 10-6.  But this one stings like a bitch.  We should be 12-4.  Bowles did alright for 3/4 of the season.  The other 1/4 he showed us that some semblance of the circus is still in town. 

I hope your analogy of the finish to the 97 season ring true for our short term future.  That was a good time.  But Bowles needs to grow up as a coach. 

I'll riddle you another one, jetscrazey.  Something much more recent.  Early 2011, 2nd round of the playoffs.  We go up to Foxboro and beat a Pats team, 28-14 that weeks ago destroyed us 45-3.  An amazing feat, that a lot of us could not believe.  What happens the next week in the AFC Championship game?  The game starts and we don't truly show up to the field until the 3rd quarter, when we are down 24-0.  Reason being, the Pats game was our Superbowl.  We got so emotionally high that we could not come back down and focus on the task at hand - preparing the being ready for the next game.  Same thing happened this week.  I thought this nonsense of not being prepared for games, wasting time outs and shooting ourselves in the foot with penalties left town and went to Buffalo.  Apparently not.  Some of it stayed in Florham Park, NJ with the current coach.  We were unprepared against Houston, and both Buffalo games.  We should have never kept the Bills in this game.  But they dictated that terms of the game.  The buffoon, jackass clown that resides in Buffalo out coached Todd Bowles today.  We were not prepared at all.  Just like the 1st Bills game. 

Don't get me wrong, jetcrazy, I am rather pleased with 4-12 to 10-6.  But this one stings like a bitch.  We should be 12-4.  Bowles did alright for 3/4 of the season.  The other 1/4 he showed us that some semblance of the circus is still in town. 

I hope your analogy of the finish to the 97 season ring true for our short term future.  That was a good time.  But Bowles needs to grow up as a coach. 

I agree with the 2011 comparison too, because the Pats* were/are a finesse offense and both the 2011 Steelers and 2015 Bills were pure ground and pound.  The extreme change in physicality week-to-week can mess with a team, as we have learned.

today felt nothing like 1997.  1997 we came out of the dark ages, we were 1-15 in 1996, we won 10 games total from 1994-1996.  we had one of the best HC's of all time in his first year w/ us.  we KNEW we'd be really good soon.  w/ this team it is an old roster and a coach that did some nice things but overall was pretty mediocre.

Archived